Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #616
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,659
I am still riding in my back yard. I rode a little bit today, but we have had some rain, and it is slick out there. The bike was sliding everywhere, and I kept dumping it. It was so slick that I was losing the front end even on the slowest turns.

The super slick stuff is kind of scary, especially when you suddenly get a lot of traction but are pointed the wrong way
Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #617
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
So going back to the basics with the 24 foot circle, and combining my obsessive love for getting dizzy in the endless figure 8, made this little course. Simply combined the two circles to make the figure 8.

Getting some good results out of it. You can see that the left turn is a lot more "chunky" than the right, but its getting better, I can feel it.

Next step is to learn to flick the bike into this low position quickly, and without braking too much from speed.
Also keeping the speed up in the turns, so not to use clutch at all.

These were done with just the tiniest bit of clutch slipping, and at the end, no clutch on the right turns, and just a bit on the left.

need.... moar.... speeeeeeeeeeeed !!!

Vulfy screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 07:18 PM
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #618
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
That's lookin real good Vulfy, quick, good lean, looks like your more mobile on the bike & smoove. The left's do stick out, your a bit tense, less smoove & I would say slightly slower through the turn. You do look competitive.
Weird how we are wired to work naturally one way & not the other. I have to spend a lot of time on an exercise before I stop noticing the difference between left & right. Next time i do it, back to square one. Have you tried the 1 mtr gate?

Have you noticed how some of the Japanese riders flick their heads about in 360's rather than just keeping looking around? I wonder if it helps to achieve a more comfortable & tighter left turn.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #619
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

completely randomly stumbled on these.... The youtube user has the whole set of these police lesson videos. This one is on the use of the front brake into the turn, the same technique used in Gymkhana, as it comes from Japanese motorcycle training, only to an expert degree. Look at how much the bike dives down, from heavy front braking.

Great videos, and broken down into lessons, to practice. Unfortunately no explanation of the technique, so have to reverse engineer them, but I think this is a golden find.

PS: first 20 seconds of each video is their title sequence, so skip forward, as it is exactly the same for all of them.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #620
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

http://www.bikebros.co.jp/vb/ridetech/police/ride-06/

Translate it with Google's Chrome to English... Its broken, but comprehensible. Nothing new though. Strong front brake well into the corner, and rear throughout, opening fully at the end, and still applying rear to minimize slide.... That part is new.... From one of my times on DRZ, opening fully out of at tight corner, the rear will wiggle like crazy, making my own rear, pucker like crazy. HAHA!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #621
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
http://www.bikebros.co.jp/vb/ridetech/police/ride-06/

Translate it with Google's Chrome to English... Its broken, but comprehensible. Nothing new though. Strong front brake well into the corner, and rear throughout, opening fully at the end, and still applying rear to minimize slide.... That part is new.... From one of my times on DRZ, opening fully out of at tight corner, the rear will wiggle like crazy, making my own rear, pucker like crazy. HAHA!
The whole turning in on the front brake shenanigans is what makes my rear pucker, I do it, tentatively. That's how I nearly dropped the dearly beloved DT, huge handful out of the turn & then hard on the front brake... but the front was, er, light, so when the weight came on it dropped like a sack of tatties as I turned the bars. Very, very effective. Very hard for me to get confident with. This is where the tumbles start me thinks.
If the Aliens can turn hard on the front brake then surely we can, no?

I'm all inspired again Vulfy, cheers!

That bloke keeps the front brake on ALL the way through the turn...... Yeah, right, sure. OK.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #622
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

I think the key here, is to keep the revs up somewhat. I've been noticing that I'm dropping revs too much when turning. Its comes from using just the rear brake, and since it can not cope with the power of the bike, I have to tune down the revs to keep it withing the tight turning radius.

With the use of the front brake, the revs should stay up, and the control of the speed is done by the front and rear brake, which should be enough to tame the power of the engine without dropping RPMs too much. So the power is always there, to pick the bike back up, but you modulating the brakes to keep it within the turning radius.

Of course this is all theory, as I still haven't managed to fully "grasp" (HAHA) the proper front braking technique, into the turn, at least the way Japanese riders do it. A few semi-successful attempts and a few drops, is as far as I got with it.

Definitely nothing close to the amount of braking they are using, either in the pages above, or motogymkhana riding.

I'll try to incorporate dragging front brake inside those 24 foot circles, instead of slipping the clutch. Should be an excellent practice for the right hand throttling and braking at the same time....

I see a dropped bike in my future
Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #623
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

I think I need to open up the GP8 course a lot more. Right now its 40 feet lengthwise, as set for GP8 time comparison, but for training purposes, I need to at least double it, so I have enough mental pause between the cones, to prepare for full braking into the turn. Right now its just too tight and too strenuous to learn new techniques in it.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #624
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
I see a dropped bike in my future
I concur.

The more I get into this the more astounded i am at the level of skill required to be even remotely competent at Motogymkhana. But. All I need is a car park to get there. Marvelous.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:57 AM   #625
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Thanks to Vulfy for digging out the video lessons from the Japanese Police training system. http://www.bikebros.co.jp/vb/ridetech/police/

I think the best lesson everybody can draw from this series is the timing of the head-snap in the figure 8. You will see that the head is snapped round to point at the other pylon just as the front tyre reaches the pylon you are going round. This helps to tighten the turn and keeps everything nice and stable.

The most astounding lesson in the series is the opposite lock 'U' turn, which I saw being demonstrated when I was last out in Japan. It blew me away then as it showed that counter-steering doesn't work only above 20mph (which a lit of schools teach) but works all the way from zero mph.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #626
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Got a linky for that Moto g man?

Ignore me. it's #8

Harvey Krumpet screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 04:17 PM Reason: got off my ass
Old 10-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #627
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post

That bloke keeps the front brake on ALL the way through the turn...... Yeah, right, sure. OK.

Bassids!!! I just translated #3. "making full use of ABS!!!!"

That will save me falling on my butt.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #628
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Our second gymkhana meeting was a success.

About 20 riders

here some my pics:

liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #629
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_ice View Post
Our second gymkhana meeting was a success.

About 20 riders

here some my pics:
Great photos! Thanks for sharing!

Do you mean that those are photos of *you* riding, or photos you took of someone else?
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #630
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,489
leaned over a heep there mate
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote