Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #871
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
I fear my skills have gotten worse as I haven't practiced in a couple of months :( I looked at some old photos and I was surprised at how far leaned over and how sharp I had the front wheel turned. Can I still do this stuff in 40 degree weather? The last time it was like 80 degrees out
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #872
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
A good effort indeed considering they started out using side roads to play on! The chap that runs the Vietnamese group had to put up with the Police chasing them away so they very quickly found a site to use that comprised of the service roads to an industrial estate that was never built.

As you can all imagine there are huge numbers of small bikes in use every day in these far eastern countries, so it follows that a cheap Motorsport that utilises the machines people ride to work would soon become popular.
I hope so. They have the right / easiest bikes to use, the scariest traffic & a huge weight of numbers. Gorgeous food too..

Shaddix, I'm in a similar situation. Been awhile since I did any practice & that ended in a bin. I have taken every opportunity since to use what I have learned. A word of caution, busy, nay, insane shopping mall car parks at this time of year are not the place to do 270o turns..... An elderly genelmun in an old white mitsi nearly had me yesterday as i was leaving with panniers full of pressies. The bugger was in a real hurry, I was as far away from the shops as possible, backed out a bit, had a good look all around & went for the chuck it on it's ear turn to find him hammering down on me. Maybe the result is why I enjoy this so much, one finger on the front brake, a bit more back brake & the throttle still open. I managed to stop the bike more or less up right, whip the clutch in & nod him past.
I would not have attempted the turn a few months ago, nuckin futs if you asked me, and I would have ended up hitting the brakes on a closed throttle with the whole weight of he bike bearing down. Get your arse out there & make the most of it.
It's a gazillion degrees down here at the mo, I'm shattered on the bike after a couple of hours wearing Draggin jeans & a ventilated leather jacket, half unzipped. That's at road speed. It's easier in the cold.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #873
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I fear my skills have gotten worse as I haven't practiced in a couple of months :( I looked at some old photos and I was surprised at how far leaned over and how sharp I had the front wheel turned. Can I still do this stuff in 40 degree weather? The last time it was like 80 degrees out
Nnnnnnnnope!

There's still traction just not as much
Old 12-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #874
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Some of the GP8 attacks at the recent event in Vietnam.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=edit_ok
Old 12-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #875
CBBaron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I like those, and for $35 I think they're worth picking up a set (or two). But the problem is that Reno has really nasty winds that tend to blow through after lunchtime. They can gust upwards of 25 mph and those little discs would just blow around. I think we'll need real cones for it to really work, but I do like those little ones to use as "non-penalty" markers.

Rob
Just a comment on the cheap low cones. The MSF course I took used those. One day we had some gusty winds that picked up the 2x4 we were using to ride over and moved it about 20 yards down the course. None of the cones moved an inch. The shape is apparently well designed for wind. You can run over them without damage but they are probably a little slick so not suggested in a tight turn.

As for gymkhana was looking on the forum of some ideas of parking lot courses to try out for practice. I guess maybe I will just try a simple figure 8 to start.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #876
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
Some of the GP8 attacks at the recent event in Vietnam.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=edit_ok

Got to get my ass out & do some more practice..
Old 12-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #877
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
As for gymkhana was looking on the forum of some ideas of parking lot courses to try out for practice. I guess maybe I will just try a simple figure 8 to start.
The GP8 course has all the elements you will ever need to make the perfect practice environment. The best place to start is with riding an oval track around the pylons ensuring that each pylon is at the EXIT of your turn and not at the centre of it. Just as your front wheel goes around the back of the pylon, SNAP your head very quickly so that your nose is pointing directly at the next pylon. Do this both left and right handed and let us know how you get on.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #878
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 160
Tennis balls

Found this bag of 18 tennis balls on Amazon for $12.32 plus shipping. They've also got a 100' FatMax tape measure for less than $20.

http://www.amazon.com/Tourna-Mesh-Ca...s=tennis+balls

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-34-130...stanley+100%27

Just wanted to post 'em in case anyone was interested. I'm still reading the thread and even for a cruiser-jockey this looks like an absolute scream!
Old 12-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #879
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Welcome Bogfarth, glad you like our little sport.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #880
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogfarth View Post
Found this bag of 18 tennis balls on Amazon for $12.32 plus shipping. They've also got a 100' FatMax tape measure for less than $20.

http://www.amazon.com/Tourna-Mesh-Ca...s=tennis+balls

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-34-130...stanley+100%27

Just wanted to post 'em in case anyone was interested. I'm still reading the thread and even for a cruiser-jockey this looks like an absolute scream!
That is one of the best sigs I have seen bogfarth. Love it. get your Big Boots on & get stuck in.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #881
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
That is one of the best sigs I have seen bogfarth. Love it. get your Big Boots on & get stuck in.
Thanks, but uhmm... you're a little off on the intended meaning. I got it from a Winnie the Pooh story. I like it for the whimsey, the magic implied in going on an adventure. You never know what might happen during an adventure, who you will meet, how long it will take or where you may end up. Regardless of all those things, though, it will certainly be fun!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #882
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, but uhmm... you're a little off on the intended meaning. I got it from a Winnie the Pooh story. I like it for the whimsey, the magic implied in going on an adventure. You never know what might happen during an adventure, who you will meet, how long it will take or where you may end up. Regardless of all those things, though, it will certainly be fun!
Nope, I read it spot on

Merry Christmas Everbody and All The Best for the New Year.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #883
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Nope, I read it spot on

Oh! ... in that case

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #884
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Oh! ... in that case

Merry Christmas!
At this point, I'm curious what you thought Harvey thought it meant

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, everyone!
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #885
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
At this point, I'm curious what you thought Harvey thought it meant
Lemme just say some of the folks I hang out with have a different meaning for "get stuck in" is all.

/endhijack

Back on subject, I found this while hunting for course layouts to practice on. It is for horses, not motorcycles, but a few tweaks would fix that. Mostly getting rid of the obstacles and shortening marker intervals.

http://www.californiastatehorsemen.c...na_courses.pdf