Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #1006
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbeen View Post
Ok here's what I think, still not to a real computer... On vacation in Hawaii so posting from the phone.

Turning radius is determined solely by steering angle and lean angle of the bike. If you are at max steering lock and max lean angle, you will turn in a certain radius. If you are counter leaning and doing this max lean and max lock at 7mph. That means if you try it at 12mph you will not be able to counterlean because you need more weight on the inside of the bike to maintain the force from gravity to balance against inertia wanting to throw the bike out of the turn. Therefore you may sit straight in the saddle to provide enough force from gravity to counteract the increased lateral force. Given this increased speed, we have increased lateral load on the tire, making you more likely to slide out. I don't think this changes your turning radius or am I wrong? Turning radius is determined by lean angle and steering lock. A specific riding position, steering angle, and lean angle fixes your speed and turning radius. Yes?
mmm, that's math. I have no idea. we can try stuff on the bike though, its more fun anyway. :)

ohgood screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 06:39 AM
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #1007
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Tabibito-san giving his Street Triple the berries at the recent Moto Gymkhana event in Japan. Sadly he just missed winning by a fraction of a second.

Worth watching this video to see how quickly he can capsize and recover the bike.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #1008
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redclayrider View Post
You can go to the AMGRASS site here and ask, http://amgrass.com/ I see a lot of the same members here but it is another resource.
Been there. Left message. NO reply.
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #1009
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
any know of Southern OH or Northern KY moto gymkhana groups or groups forming? Contacts?
amgrass is grass roots... if you don't have interest in your area yet, guess who gets to spread the fertilizer ? ;-)

ill check in at amgrass and get the cheifs stirred up. again, its grass roots, not a box store with a payment plan, sorry :)
Old 03-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #1010
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I love reading this thread not only to see how gymkhana lives in other parts of the world, but also because once in a while I learn a new bit of English.

Needed Wikipedia to know what Grassroots was.
liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #1011
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_ice View Post
I love reading this thread not only to see how gymkhana lives in other parts of the world, but also because once in a while I learn a new bit of English.

Needed Wikipedia to know what Grassroots was.
Homegrown :)
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #1012
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

That is how they grow the roots of grass over here in Amsterdam

But now we are changing the subject
Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #1013
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,499
Doing u turns. Leaning putsbthe contact patch on the side. Which puts the turning circle smaller. If u have a toy bike that the bars move or a curved side bike wheel have a play and u will notice the difference. Bikes fall over id arnt moving and leaning. So gota keep forward momentum up to fight gravity. So to keep speed down and forward momentum up rear brake is the easiest.if ur doing gymkhana and not trying to keep speed down u dont really need it. It does make you feel in control better. I dont "think" it reallyndoes but it Just feels like planting the rear wheel as a fixed pivot point.

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers

Storm Shadow screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 11:29 PM
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #1014
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Hi everyone. I'm an aspiring Moto Gymkhana newbie and just finished reading through all 1000+ posts of great information on techniques and bike control on this thread. Weather is improving so I'm looking to spend more time outdoors improving skills on the bike besides just commuting.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:30 AM   #1015
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Compliments on reading it all, it's quite some work.

I hope the weather keeps improving and you can start practicing.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:01 AM   #1016
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,499
86 pages now, a bit of knowledge on riding i recon... especially if u watched all the youtube videos
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #1017
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Knowledge only gets you so far, In theory I could be quite fast

Lets not talk about in practice

But as with everything, knowledge is a nice place to begin with for whole lot of practice.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #1018
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
I was wrong...

Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #1019
ErikDK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Prabably 205, but:

ErikDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #1020
Bent_boot42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I just finished reading every post in this giant thread... though I didn't manage to watch EVERY youtube video. Lots of good info here, thanks to those who take the time to explain so much.
I can't wait to get started but I gotta put my bike back together first I am guessing that my 1986 Honda XL250R with a broke man's super moto setup (cheap shinko street tires on 19inch-rear/21inch-front rims) should be a good bike especially since I don't mind much about laying it down.

Reading about all the different techniques and the physics of bike control is very interesting from a TRIALS riding perspective as well... Motogymkhana and trials are both VERY TECHNICAL riding sports that require huge amounts of bike control and don't require any 'high-speed-bravery' or '100ft-jump-bravery'. Don't get me wrong, there is bravery invovled with trials and motoGym but it is a different kind of bravery and the penalty/crash when you get it wrong is (usually) fairly minor when compared to other moto sports like motoGP or MotoX. Here is a sample youtube of trials riding (for those unfamiliar with this branch of dirt-biking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9An21JLUNg)

I liked the questions from bumbeen, they are worth asking, and they did allow motoGman to explain some more interesting points about motoGymkhana. In that light... what about this for a faster method around the 180o cone:
pop a big endo/noseWheelie/stoppie as you approach the cone... shift hips so the back end swings around .... drop rear end so you end up facing the other direction and off you go.
You would lose a bit of time in braking but that should be made up in not having to actually do any turning. You would also need to be DAMN GOOD at stoppies but it is possible, no?
I know the first response will be for me to try it and time myself ... I will, next weekend (on my trials bike).

PS. Anybody in Victoria, B.C doing motoGymkhana already? PM me!

Bent_boot42 screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 05:46 PM
Bent_boot42 is offline   Reply With Quote