Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #1291
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,083
I need to find this stuff in California.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #1292
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
wouldn't you just lovvvvve it ?

Have I missed something or do you just like sharing motorcycle erotica? The tire & the fat, shiny, expansion chamber framed in green struts brightens my bulb.
More pics, story please.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #1293
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Hi there jeepinbanditrider and welcome to the wonderful world of Moto Gymkhana.

Think you are in luck. There is a new setup that has a practice site at Glendale Civic Centre. Give them a shout, I'm sure they would love to have you on-board.

http://m-gymkhana.com/
Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #1294
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Wow. 300 miles away. Ouch. I don't know if I'd ever make it up there without taking leave or having a long weekend.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #1295
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Have I missed something or do you just like sharing motorcycle erotica? The tire & the fat, shiny, expansion chamber framed in green struts brightens my bulb.
More pics, story please.
sorry, I don't have much more....

one of our local guys shows up to every single Thursday night meet, and smokes folks with his husaburg 570. someone mentioned it might be the ultimate bike, he laughed. a few more questions, then some begging, and he showed up on a kx500, with some siping an old timer told him might solve "irradic, unpredictable, uncontrollable wheespin".

he rode interstate to get there, said its "interesting".

another fella showed up this past Thursday (weekly gp8 / rude butterfly) night and showed off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BSqzJQcsVM

our first motors cops to demonstrate tossing a honda st just as quickly as a drz can be thrown around. impressive ? yep. ill -never- try one of these guys in the twisties.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #1296
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
KX 500 SM ? I'm not worthy & lack the testicular mass. 250's are mad enough for me. Front tires last a life time.

Those ST's are a very accomplished bike, ridden a few. Once you get rolling the weight seems to vanish making them indecently quick for a behemoth.
Be interesting doing GP 8's on a bike with linked brakes.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #1297
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503

Session this Saturday 08.03 in Brooklyn. Pm me for more details if you are interested in joining. Alternatively, join our Facebook group to be in the loop of all our events, times and locations.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/motogymkhananyc/
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #1298
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

I feel like ranting and complaining a bit, so feel free to ignore this. However any technical advice will be helpful.

My SV650 front brakes suuuuuuck! God damn those stupid calipers. So the problem started after I got the bike. After riding it for a bit, front lever got mushy to a point of pinching my fingers on the throttle, in order to completely engage.

Bled the lines with mityvac, definitely no air. Lever did not improve at all.

Took calipers apart, and found that one piston on each caliper was sticking.
Cleaned everything out, re-bled the brakes and the lever was nice and stiff. No extra movement, and braking was nice and hard.

After riding for a bit (a few weeks), lever is back to absolute mush. It does stop better than before though, so I'm not pinching my fingers on the throttle when squeezing it, but lever is not stiff, limp as noodle.

I do have a suspicion of what could be going on though. As i was rebuilding the calipers, I lubricated pistons with grease designed for brakes. However i have a feeling that that grease is starting to bake on the pistons, making them stick again. I'm going to clean out pistons once again, and change the seals. I won't be lubing them with grease this time though.

Hopefully this will be enough to fix them. I don't think its MC's fault, as the lever was really nice right after the rebuild, and I didn't do anything to MC. I do have a rebuild kit for it too, so if it stats go to mush again, will try rebuilding MC.

Can brake degreaser harm rubber seals around pistons? As I was cleaning out calipers, I was spraying them with brake degreaser to get all the gunk off the pistons, to get them moving freely. I did not see any warning on the bottle, to not use on rubber, so it should be ok, but any real life experience/advice?

I also have a question about bleeder screws. As I crack it open to bleed the fluid, threading lets air in. I use mityvac which holds vacuum in a tube and the bottle, but as soon as I crack the bleeder screw, air rushes in through the threading and I lose negative pressure in the bottle really quickly which makes me close and pump only after a few seconds of bleeding.

I know that the air is coming through the threading and not from inside the system, as I used same brake grease around threads, and it sealed it air tight. As soon as I done that, no more bubbles and pressure in mityvac doesn't drop as rapidly when I bleed. So system is definitely air free.

So the question is, would it be ok to use teflon tape on the threads to make them air tight when bleeding? I've read a few posts about that on different forums, and it seems people either do it, or very strongly oppose it. The only argument of opposition is that teflon tape shreds on the threading, and can contaminate and clog the system. I honestly don't think its a problem, as the system does not circulate to move particles through, and won't really contaminate anything. However I'm concerned about teflon's heat resistance. My brakes get hot, really hot! I'm running Motul 600 right now, but I've been boiling regular fluid without any problems, so braked do get over 500F. Would this melt teflon tape? It definitely makes left over grease around bleeder smoke quite vigorously, even after wiping most of it off, after bleeding.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #1299
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

I know there are adapters for SV to mount calipers from CBR and Gixers but I don't want to Frankenstein this bike just yet. If I can get stock calipers working properly, I believe they should provide enough stopping power and feedback for my current applications.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #1300
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
I need to find this stuff in California.
Ditto
Perhaps there's some vacant, on-base lot E. of I-15 ?
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #1301
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
I do have a suspicion of what could be going on though. As i was rebuilding the calipers, I lubricated pistons with grease designed for brakes. However i have a feeling that that grease is starting to bake on the pistons, making them stick again. I'm going to clean out pistons once again, and change the seals. I won't be lubing them with grease this time though.

Can brake degreaser harm rubber seals around pistons? As I was cleaning out calipers, I was spraying them with brake degreaser to get all the gunk off the pistons, to get them moving freely. I did not see any warning on the bottle, to not use on rubber, so it should be ok, but any real life experience/advice?

Using petroleum grease on the rubber parts of the brake system is a bad idea. They are not compatible and may cause the rubber parts to swell and deteriorate (and stick). Silicone grease on the rubber is what I have used when needed.

Same with degreaser. Wrong material.

You may have wasted your piston seals. (and contaminated more of the system. )

I've never had any luck using vaccum to bleed brake systems. Mityvac says to use teflon to seal the threads but still.......

Use the lever to push fluid thru the system. Rubberband or bungee the lever to the handgrip overnight to try to get residual bubbles to migrate up to the master cylinder when you let the lever return to normal.
Some gentle tapping or vibration on the lines might help the bubbles move.
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #1302
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

The grease I used is definitely not petroleum but silicone, I'm sure of it. However I think the grease itself starts to bake and gets sticky with heat generated from brakes, rather than swelling up the rubber and compromising the seal.

When I used mityvac in conjunction with greasing up threads on the bleeders to make them air tight, mityvac did a great job of bleeding, but I don't like that the remains of the grease start to burn off after hard riding. I wipe it off as much as I can, but a thin layer still stays on the body of the caliper and starts to smoke as brakes get super hot from practicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
Using petroleum grease on the rubber parts of the brake system is a bad idea. They are not compatible and may cause the rubber parts to swell and deteriorate (and stick). Silicone grease on the rubber is what I have used when needed.

Same with degreaser. Wrong material.

You may have wasted your piston seals. (and contaminated more of the system. )

I've never had any luck using vaccum to bleed brake systems. Mityvac says to use teflon to seal the threads but still.......

Use the lever to push fluid thru the system. Rubberband or bungee the lever to the handgrip overnight to try to get residual bubbles to migrate up to the master cylinder when you let the lever return to normal.
Some gentle tapping or vibration on the lines might help the bubbles move.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #1303
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
Ditto
Perhaps there's some vacant, on-base lot E. of I-15 ?
Where at now?

If we could get enough folks together we could just start trying to find places to do it similar to an autocross type parking lot. The back part of the Commissary parking lot is always empty but not everyone has access to the base.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #1304
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
The grease I used is definitely not petroleum but silicone, I'm sure of it. However I think the grease itself starts to bake and gets sticky with heat generated from brakes, rather than swelling up the rubber and compromising the seal.

When I used mityvac in conjunction with greasing up threads on the bleeders to make them air tight, mityvac did a great job of bleeding, but I don't like that the remains of the grease start to burn off after hard riding. I wipe it off as much as I can, but a thin layer still stays on the body of the caliper and starts to smoke as brakes get super hot from practicing.
You might try globbing some of the grease on a shovel blade then heating it with a propane torch (the blade) to see if it does what you think it does.

I wonder if there are Japanese Gymkhana suppliers who have oversize rear brake kits? This surely must happen to a fair proportion of others with this problem in the sport.

How about an auxiliary fan blowing on your rear brake?? (temporary mount and powered like heated clothing?) Or an airconditioning unit parked in your pit with a hose to blow COLD air on the assembly before each run? (I know, going overboard now)
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #1305
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post

How about an auxiliary fan blowing on your rear brake?? (temporary mount and powered like heated clothing?) Or an airconditioning unit parked in your pit with a hose to blow COLD air on the assembly before each run? (I know, going overboard now)
Yes, yes you are. LOL

Also its the front brakes that give me this problem. Rear brake is actually sorted out for the moment and been behaving well.

But again, this is mostly me grumbling. Hopefully a clean piston and a fresh set of seals will resolve these issues.