Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #1336
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Silly question, but when you say the lever is firm, are the brakes working? It just seems really weird that you would have working brakes and then suddenly you lose brake pressure. It's a closed system and once you have firm brakes, I feel like it should stay that way. Are you sure there are no leaks in the system? If you pump the lever a few times, does it firm up again and you have good brakes again?
I'm struggling with the understanding of this myself. Nothing is leaking, I'm sure of it. I checked, rechecked and triple checked all connections. Everything is dry.

Basically what happens is that I squeeze lever 2/3 of the travel, without any major engagement from the brakes. They do start to scrub against the rotor, but barely. Then the last 1/3 of the lever travel, it firms up, and I can actually feel brakes engaging and stopping the bike.

So when I pump the brake, the initial travel distance before brakes engage, reduces, but not by much. So that I can still squeeze the lever, without anything noticeable happening and only only the last bit of travel actually engages the brakes.

It does feel like I have air in the system, where I'm basically compressing air first with the initial travel of the lever, and once air is compressed to its maximum, brake fluid starts moving, and it finally pushes on the pistons in the calipers.

I have a suspicion that there is some air trapped in the master cylinder itself. Its the highest point, and I don't have a bleeder on it, so there is no way for me to suck that air out forcefully. I just ordered a banjo bolt with bleeder in it, and will install it on MC once it gets here. Hopefully this will help.

Last few bleeds did not produce any visible air bubbles in the tube from the bleeder to the mytivac, so I'm under impression that the system was air free.

However there might be few bubbles stuck somewhere, where they do not get moved from bleeding procedure and that gives me the mushy lever.

I'm really frustrated with this. I know I can't compare my Speed Triple to SV650, but from Speed Triple I know what a good lever suppose to feel like, and SV's lever is anything but good.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #1337
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Could definitely be some air stuck in the system then. Loosen up the banjo bolt by the master cylinder and squeeze the lever. Use a towel to protect the tank and prevent brake fluid from getting on the bike. You might be able to squeeze some air out that way. You could also take the front calipers off the bike and shake around a bit to see if you can dislodge any air stuck inside.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #1338
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,511
watch for a bulging line too. I understand lines can fail internally and bleed fluid back to the mc, without giving good braking. sorry, I'm not up on how/why.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #1339
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
[QUOTE=ohgood;22052993]watch for a bulging line too. I understand lines can fail internally and bleed fluid back to the mc, without giving good braking. sorry, I'm not up on how/why.[/QUOTE

Brakes on some of my older bikes felt as described. T'was old, soft, brake lines. Took a big squeeze until they stopped stretching.
SV's are raced a lot, have a sniff around racing forums for pointers.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #1340
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 739
Maybe loosening the bolts holding the Master in position on the bars is necessary to get the hole in the bottom of the reservoir (which refills the master cylinder bore) as level as possible. Air trapped at the top of the master piston bore might be hard to let out. Turn handlebars and the cylinder as necessary to get it level.

And as other said, spongy line may be taking up most of the displaced fluid before the caliper pistons start to move. I had an old truck with a spongy line that would let fluid thru under pressure but when pressure was released would close up. Result was a draggy brake. Fix was a new hose.
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #1341
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,511
we had an early participant last night before the big kids showed up..

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-2c...808_184152.jpg

we had 13 show up, and 12 participants. gp8, circle of trust, increasing/decreasing 5 radii, and the left/right hotshot stop n go.

one soon to be new rider got introduced to the idea that bikes are meant to be shared, ridden, and sat on, instedad of polished and pampered.... she's going to really infect people with her enthusiasm.

we have two a local dealer onboard for biweeklys, and cyclegear stepping up for possibly once a month gp8's, thanks to some folks that don't mind spreading the cheer.

the fall gk event is going to be HUGE, at the montivallow msf center. stuff is coming together well, and riders are realizing riding is more rewarding than posing. ;-)

ohgood screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 07:33 AM
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #1342
Oreh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I think the debate about air in brake sistem is offtopic in this thread.
Oreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #1343
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreh View Post
I think the debate about air in brake sistem is offtopic in this thread.
I think someone who has two posts in 9 months and has added nothing to anything is off topic to comment about the OP of this thread asking for specific brake advice.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #1344
Oreh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Sorry!

Even though I only have two post, I read this forum a lot. Especaly this threed.
Better to have only two posts, then beeing offtopic.

If due to the low number of post's I can not express my opinion, then accept my apologies and ignore my previous statements.
Oreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #1345
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreh View Post
Sorry!

Even though I only have two post, I read this forum a lot. Especaly this threed.
Better to have only two posts, then beeing offtopic.

If due to the low number of post's I can not express my opinion, then accept my apologies and ignore my previous statements.
The problem isn't your post count. The problem is that your comments are useless and your sarcasm on top of it makes you an asshole. Go back into hiding and don't post negative remarks when we try to help each other out.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #1346
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Heh, trolls will be trolls.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #1347
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
we had an early participant last night before the big kids showed up..

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-2c...808_184152.jpg

we had 13 show up, and 12 participants. gp8, circle of trust, increasing/decreasing 5 radii, and the left/right hotshot stop n go.

one soon to be new rider got introduced to the idea that bikes are meant to be shared, ridden, and sat on, instedad of polished and pampered.... she's going to really infect people with her enthusiasm.

we have two a local dealer onboard for biweeklys, and cyclegear stepping up for possibly once a month gp8's, thanks to some folks that don't mind spreading the cheer.

the fall gk event is going to be HUGE, at the montivallow msf center. stuff is coming together well, and riders are realizing riding is more rewarding than posing. ;-)
Kudos!

With the regular turn out of 10 bikes or so for the past few weeks, if we keep this up, I think we'll be able to get a couple of dealers on board as well. Would be nice if one of them could offset a cost of a nice big timer for us

There is an interesting post over at Amgrass.com from a guy who was organizing Battle Trax back in the day, or at least claims he was the organizer. Would be really interesting to hear the whole story on why it fell apart. Seems there is a definite interest in this type of activity, especially if its a lot more accessible than a track day.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #1348
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Vulfy, I'm off to see the guy who will do my brakes on Monday, want him to check out a strange & untraceable noise in the DT. I will see if he has anything to contribute to your problem. Er, contribute to fixing your problem.

Oreh, your right, but this thread exists because of the riders who are out there doing it & discussing their issues for betterment of all.
If you have chicken strips & your back brake does not squeal then you do not pass muster.

Harvey Krumpet screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 11:30 PM Reason: struggling with English.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #1349
lulo
Cochino Aventurero

Oddometer: 1,154
What a great session today!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #1350
edge2edge
Evil Scotsman

Oddometer: 181
Great thread!!! Subscribed!
edge2edge is offline   Reply With Quote