Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #1411
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
Hey Stoke, interesting question on the crossover between Gymkhana riding and dirt riding, but I'm not sure there is a definitive answer.

The guys over in Japan reckon that you can be good at dirt riding, road racing or fast road riding, but that won't make you good at Moto Gymkhana. On the other hand if you're good at Moto Gymkhana then all those other disciplines are easier as a result. This is certainly true of road and circuit riding, but as I don't do a great deal of off-road riding any more, I can't really say for sure whether it does or not.
I bet it does, and Harvey Krumpet raised some really good points too. So key to learn the right way, the first time which is why getting back into bikes and dirt, I signed up (with Shooby) for a bunch of riding courses. All dirt at this point in time.

Gymkhana, besides looking fun as shit, looks like it gives you some awesome crowded city riding skills. Plus it forces you to practice, but it doesn't feel like practice, it's a good time.

Shooby and jeepbandit: I couldn't access the facebook link, I think it's marked private or something? I'd like to check it out if you can fix it. I'll be at the next one for sure.
stoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #1412
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
I jeepbandit: I couldn't access the facebook link, I think it's marked private or something? I'd like to check it out if you can fix it. I'll be at the next one for sure.
Probably best it stays hidden...
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #1413
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,138
Alright. Lets try that again

jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #1414
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 543
nice!

Figures an industrial park is the way to go for an unused lot. Why do they always have to have those damn medians?!

Looking forward to joining up and getting this going in SD
stoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #1415
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
Figures an industrial park is the way to go for an unused lot.
Well, not so much, We were just getting started when a bored security guard asked us to leave...

Recon continues..

PCC & CSSMU are running MSF courses, I'll contact them this week.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #1416
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,138
We got a few runs in before that happened.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #1417
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,330
we had a really good meet this week. 23 bikes were present, and almost 23 riders ;-)

got to ride a harley flxtr (i think) which was nice. then i stole a ktm 450 smR, which was -fantastic-, so much better than a drz.

also played on a fz6, fz1, a couple other drz's, and... i think that's all. a slow night for me ;-)

as it gets cooler i expect we might outgrow our little parking lot with more folks coming out to play. they're really believing in themselves, and their improvements now. it's so cool to watch folks ACCELL over just a few sessions.

here's a short video... that first black harley was my buddy larry's. it's nicer than you'd want to believe. with a radio. and anti-lock.

oh, did i mention tim showed up on his cop bike again ? ya, wait till the end.
(HEY TIM!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsLNyLYgpTk

good times
Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #1418
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Really great clip! Loved it.
Police bike is a nice touch.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #1419
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Had a great competition day in the car park at Kempton Park, a horse racing track to the south west of London.

Dave Pinto shot this nice piece of on-bike footage of his first timed attack.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #1420
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,330

Tonight
About 25 riders, or more if you show up
7pm until

:)
Old 09-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #1421
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

UK guys are at it.
Bama guys are at it.
NYC is at it (albeit quietly )

What is up with the rest of you folks?
What is going on in different parts or our Gymkhana globe?

Cali guys how are you managing there? There was a splash of activity from you guys (which is always a welcomed sight) and now it all went quite.

A quick recap from us. Rangers still being d*cks so we are searching for a better spot. We've been doing only exercises and no courses what so ever, so that kept them off our backs for the past few weekend..

With the schedules and no large courses the number of riders attending, has dropped significantly, and we are now back to single digits, but with really dedicated people.

I think once we settle on a new spot, the interest will re-ignite and we will be able to accommodate more riders.

On personal note, my camera has been busted for the past few months, so no cheesy videos from me

I'm also digressing somewhat with my times in GP8. I can barely hit 38 and staying in 40s. No excuses, just more practice!

I'm really working on my lock to lock transitions and having A LOT of fun with Siso's GP. At this point I'm pretty comfortable with a full lock turns, but my warm up to to them is quite slow. It takes me a good few laps to get comfortable and be at full lock right at the initiation of the turn.

However once I'm comfortable, I can then play with the lean and speed of the bike to see what works with full lock.

Hope you all having fun out there.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #1422
Oreh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hi

I also was stuck at 40 seconds for the whole year and the same as you need a long time to warm up. Only after 30 minutes of intense riding I am ready to achieve a good result.

Therefore, in the last few workouts I did not pay attention to full lock, but I prefer to work on a lean angle and a higher speed during cornering. Full lock reaches only occasionally.

And I've been practicing riding without using the clutch or brake. So I got a lot of feeling for a torque. Realized that I used the brakes too aggressive and it is possible to control the speed just with a torque. And with tightening the corners!

And the result is visible. On today's practice I constantly reached times below 38 seconds. The record was 36,3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=SXUIcCXTJ2g

Think I still have some reserve in cornering speed and apex! The cone should be at late apex of the corner. Not in tke middle like I was mostly riding today.

Oreh screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 04:14 PM
Oreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #1423
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreh View Post
I also was stuck at 40 seconds for the whole year....
Hi Oreh, thanks for the video;

Nice riding, 40 sec is where I'm at right now. Its easy to blame the bike being too heavy, too slow, etc, but then you see the Japanese riders and you know its all about the rider.

36,3 great time, well done, is there much organized Moto Gymkhana near you?

Are you from Slovenia? In 2007 I rode through your beautiful country from UK to Brno MotoGP, then down to Montenegro.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #1424
Oreh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thanks!

Yes, I'm from Slovenija.
Like you said, we have beautiful roads and ladscape for motrocycling, but last two years I'm riding mostly on parking lots. And I enyoing it more then riding on roads. LOL

But no there is no organized MotoGymkhana here
I tryed to acitvate some friends and local forum members, but no interest.

So I'm pracitcing alone.
Oreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #1425
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreh View Post
Hi

I also was stuck at 40 seconds for the whole year and the same as you need a long time to warm up. Only after 30 minutes of intense riding I am ready to achieve a good result.

Therefore, in the last few workouts I did not pay attention to full lock, but I prefer to work on a lean angle and a higher speed during cornering. Full lock reaches only occasionally.

And I've been practicing riding without using the clutch or brake. So I got a lot of feeling for a torque. Realized that I used the brakes too aggressive and it is possible to control the speed just with a torque. And with tightening the corners!

And the result is visible. On today's practice I constantly reached times below 38 seconds. The record was 36,3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=SXUIcCXTJ2g

Think I still have some reserve in cornering speed and apex! The cone should be at late apex of the corner. Not in tke middle like I was mostly riding today.
Very very interesting, thank you for sharing this Oreh. What do you mean by controlling the speed with a torque? Do you mean engine braking, by simply reducing throttle at the entrance of the turn?

I also noticed that the action of turning slows down motorcycle, naturally quite a bit and can be used to my advantage.

Great video too.