Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #1426
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
)
Cali guys how are you managing there? There was a splash of activity from you guys (which is always a welcomed sight) and now it all went quite.
Hope you all having fun out there.
Still in search of a supportive site/facility. Stopped by the local MSF course for conversation / suggestions, they didn't have the time. Apparently I'll have to schedule / pay for consultation(jk) Thoughts? What's your protocol
For acquiring permission for this activity on suitable sites?
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #1427
Oreh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
What do you mean by controlling the speed with a torque?...
Yes, I mean engine braking. Sorry, my english is not good.

As you allready have said, when cornering must be constant torque at the rear wheel.This can be achieved by the use of throttle+rear brake, or by using engine braking.

Practicing riding without using the clutch and brakes, I learned to take advantage of engine braking through the greater part of the curve. I then gradually began to use the rear brake, but with a better sense of timing, power and braking time. Before that I used brakes too hard, too long and too soon. I used the throttle+rear brake throughout the entire curve, but now only in the last third.

Perhaps this way is specific only for my bike, which has some disadvantages for motogymkhana:
- Two-cylinder engine with a restless running at low revs
- Electronic idle set to 1100rpm (with no setup options)
- Electronic injection, which hinders the fine dosing of throttle.

Because of this reasons, using engine braking makes my riding smoother and faster.

Oreh screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 02:13 PM
Oreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #1428
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
Still in search of a supportive site/facility. Stopped by the local MSF course for conversation / suggestions, they didn't have the time. Apparently I'll have to schedule / pay for consultation(jk) Thoughts? What's your protocol
For acquiring permission for this activity on suitable sites?
Show up, drop cones, ride till your kicked out.

What's the big deal? You're not entering a long term relationship , you're looking for a one night stand!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #1429
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Show up, drop cones, ride till your kicked out.

What's the big deal? You're not entering a long term relationship , you're looking for a one night stand!

- Yup, doin' that but around here "ride till your kicked out" is less time than it takes to set up the cones (rent-a-cops is big business here) so even a short term commitment would be worth the effort.

Shooby screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 10:33 AM
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #1430
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
I get where your at with the twins Oreh, rolling off the throttle on the TDM is like dropping an anchor. If the revs are too low it lurches forward when I open the throttle, it cause's me to run wider out the turn than I want because the bike stands up too quickly. Works great with throttle + rear brake. Smooove.

Sadly we have not practiced for eons. The G/F's bike is having a crank & piston transplant, it's like the public health system, takes forever to get done.. Parts are coming from Japan etc etc.
We have moved to a new place with no handy practice area & rudely, they have gone & built houses on our old place.
When the DT gets back on the road we will have to find somewhere & get back in the groove.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #1431
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 483
Vulfy, love the call out on Socal! I am looking forward to getting something going here with the other guys, just need a suitable site. Three million people + in our county, so someone is usually on you right away if you're on their property. I did check out an abandoned missile site, but not a big enough space, unfortunately. Just roads. Really cool though. Motorcycles are great stealth urban exploration tools. I will keep looking when I'm out and about for work during the day.

And Oreh: That video is awesome, thanks for posting it up. Takes discipline to practice alone like that day after day, great bike and I have the same one. Always wanted to visit your country, but only been right next to it in Croatia, Austria and Italy. Ah well, next time. The tripod mounted camera made for a surprisingly great shot!

Finally, I finished up the book "More Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough today. Great book, as was the first one. Anyhow, he mapped out a course in the book to practice urban traffic survival techniques:

photo MoreProficientMotorcycling_zps9d6065b4.jpeg

For the more experienced Gymkhana guys out there, did he get the idea from Gymkhana? Looks like a fairly similar setup and he even lists the times you should be able to get it done by, with penalties for going out of bounds or putting a foot down.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #1432
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post

For the more experienced Gymkhana guys out there, did he get the idea from Gymkhana? Looks like a fairly similar setup and he even lists the times you should be able to get it done by, with penalties for going out of bounds or putting a foot down.
Looks very similar to one of our courses, that I've been setting up during the summer. However this is not really a "Gymkhana" course, as more of a "warm-up" course. There are no looping obstacles here, its more of a racing / gocart course. Gymkhana courses usually consist of obstacles where you have to do figure eights, or just looping 180 - 360 and sometimes even more rotations, around a single cone. Here its just a continuous track.

However these courses are A LOT of fun. Great thing about it, is that you can have multiple riders on that one course.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:30 AM   #1433
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

It's getting cooler out now, a perfect time to introduce people to early evening control sessions.

It seems so foreign to me to think that finding a location is an issue.

Maybe we're spoiled in the south with all the strip malls and early closing times for shops.

Have you tried late afternoon scouting sessions after businesses close?

Anyway, buzz and dred are starting their push for the fall gymkhana event in Montevallo, sounds like it's going to be quite a lot of folks there.

How about you guys post your course ideas (paint works great, or a napkin) for future events ?
Old 09-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #1434
stoke
ocean minded

One other thing I found interesting from that book is that he recommended half tennis balls as the "cones" or markers for the courses. Seemed like a cheap and effective way to get started in any case.

I hear where you're coming from on the location thing. I grew up in the midwest, in MN, and there's acres of unused giant parking lots all over the place. Not so in coastal CA. Too crowded.

Unless we can joint venture with a like minded business or use one of the BRC locations we'll probably have to find some government (local or state) owned land (non military) as those seem to have the least amount of supervision.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #1435
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
One other thing I found interesting from that book is that he recommended half tennis balls as the "cones" or markers for the courses. Seemed like a cheap and effective way to get started in any case.

I hear where you're coming from on the location thing. I grew up in the midwest, in MN, and there's acres of unused giant parking lots all over the place. Not so in coastal CA. Too crowded.

Unless we can joint venture with a like minded business or use one of the BRC locations we'll probably have to find some government (local or state) owned land (non military) as those seem to have the least amount of supervision.
Schools, with that many people you have schools don't you?
Old 09-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #1436
stoke
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Schools, with that many people you have schools don't you?
Didn't think about that one...I will check it out. There's one right in my neighborhood. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #1437
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
That's what we use, cheap, come in lots of colours, painless to ride over, wind proof & you can carry a tonne of them very easily. They are permanently in our bike luggage in case we come across a venue when out for a ride.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #1438
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Welcome Oreh to the wonderful world of Moto Gymkhana. Just taken a look at your GP8 practice and under 40 seconds is a great achievement!

There are a few tips for making faster times in GP8.

1. The pylon (cone) marks the exit of the turn and your bike wants to be as close to it as possible with the front wheel pointing in the direction of the next turn point.

2. Better to go faster between the pylons and slower around the pylons.

3. Your bike goes where your nose is pointing so always snap your head around towards the next pylon just as you start the turn around the current pylon.

4. Apply the brakes before you close the throttle and open the throttle before you release the brakes.

Oh and last, but by no means least, lots and lots of practice!

Here's how the experts do it.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #1439
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,165
Boxes of goodies have started arriving

Only a few more deliveries then we shall see my Moto-Frankenstein

Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #1440
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote: