User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Motorcyclist72 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Dynabeads.

A guy at work told me about them so I read some reviews. Now I want some advrider opinions. Dynabeads vs wheel weights.

2012 BMW R1200 GS Adventure. Triple Black. 22,000
Motorcyclist72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I don't use Dyna Beads, use 5 mm plastic air pellets-chump change. Seem to work great, just be careful about getting a few lodged between the bead and the rim.
Have been using them on two bikes for several years. Ride one of the bikes about 20K miles/year. But what do I know, I put them in several CTs on my FJR!
Ian, Iowa
ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Schu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I mount all my own tires so for me it was a no brainer. Never have had any balancing problems. Have used on three different bikes and many tires. Always a smooth ride. Dont see any difference in function just faster installation with Dyna Beads. I put them in the tire as I am mounting it on the wheel. Through the stem is quite tedious but can be done that way.
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Air soft pellets for me.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Smellyhound
Happy Wanderer

Oddometer: 291
Used on my Wee on the Anakee 2's. Work just fine. I dont seem to have the cupping I had before on my front tire with the wheel weights.
-Peterman-
Smellyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

Oddometer: 54
Used in my GL1800 with no issues at all....very smooth, no cupping and will use in this bike when next tire change comes around.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Air soft pellets for me.

ditto.....just make sure you get the white ones not the green ones. The green are biodegrable and wear away to nothing quickly.

the pellets are easy to work with. Get the bead set, then break a small space back open. Dump in the pellets then reset the bead.

I have been running nothing but this method since July of 2011 when Dan at Adventure Cycleworks in Fairbanks mounted my knobbies for riding the Dalton. Very happy with the results and tire wear for Heideneu K-60s, TKC-80s and Tourances.

Pretty much been using 1oz in the front and 1.5oz in the back. They are cheap as hell at Walmart!!!!!!!!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
ditto.....just make sure you get the white ones not the green ones. The green are biodegrable and wear away to nothing quickly.

the pellets are easy to work with. Get the bead set, then break a small space back open. Dump in the pellets then reset the bead.

I have been running nothing but this method since July of 2011 when Dan at Adventure Cycleworks in Fairbanks mounted my knobbies for riding the Dalton. Very happy with the results and tire wear for Heideneu K-60s, TKC-80s and Tourances.

Pretty much been using 1oz in the front and 1.5oz in the back. They are cheap as hell at Walmart!!!!!!!!!!
I'll have to give that a try. I've been using Dynabeads for several years with great results, transferring the beads from tire to tire as I change them. It's kind of a pain but works. Airsoft pellets are available everywhere, so maybe that is indeed the answer.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
monthly dynabead thread?

I used airsoft BBs they are much cheaper. unless you are using tubes.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
No thanks. I'll stick with my static balancer and wheel weights. I've heard of people tossing in a handful of sand in a pinch but weights work for me.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
beads and tubes?

Ive got them installed in my front tire with a HD tube. smooth as silk so far no issues. some people mentioned airsoft pellets. that must be with tubeless tires.
walkergreenlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
ErikDK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Do you use heavy or light airsoft pellets?
ErikDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
I'll preface my comments by saying that I have no direct experience with Dynabeads or Airsoft pellets, and I won't get into the pseudoscience of why they do or don't work.

What I will say is this - I recently had a set of tires removed, remounted and rebalanced when I had TPMS sensors installed. The stick-on wheel weights on the front wheel didn't stick so well and fell off after one ride, with no noticeable effect at all. It was about 6 of those little square weights (3 on each side of the wheel). I haven't noticed one bit of difference.

I'm willing to bet that a great many of you that claim the tires are silky-smooth with Dynabeads or Airsoft pellets wouldn't notice any difference at all if elves came to your house one night and removed these from your wheels.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,327
With the airsoft BBs, how do you measure out an oz.? Is there some clever trick, or do you have to buy a little scale?

Do these work with inner tubes?
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
I
I'm willing to bet that a great many of you that claim the tires are silky-smooth with Dynabeads or Airsoft pellets wouldn't notice any difference at all if elves came to your house one night and removed these from your wheels.
For decades, I balanced my tires with two tire stands, spinning the rim/tire on the bike axle and adding stick-on weights. A few years ago, I talked to a friend of mine (who was the part owner and service manager at a Suzuki dealership); he mentioned that he never balanced his tires and had zero problems.

I quit balancing and had no problems but after reading an article about DynaBeads, decided adding the air pellets was too easy to not do. Didn't notice any difference but why not? Ian, Iowa
ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote