Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post

Maybe I just got a poor weld job on my SW-Motech racks then, because I had heard nothing but good things about these racks. I think I'll re-weld them with some extra gussets and toss the 1/4 turn fasteners for some 8mm Stn. Stl. Soc. Hd. Cap Screws and Nylock Nuts.
Please contact our toll-free customer service line. If you are within the warranty period of two years we should have no trouble replacing those for you. 855-255-5550 If you bought them through a dealer of ours you may have to run the warranty through the shop. If you call us though we will get you taken care of one way or another.

Kevin
Old 10-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
Laconic
Hard Core

Oddometer: 15,877
The racks are fine, but the struts will bend if you drop the bike hard enough; they are easy to straighten if you need to. I just found a crack in the HAZ of one of the welds on mine; just welded it back up and painted it, no problem.

As others said, if you really plan to abuse these things, you might want to look for a more robust setup.

PS - Twisted Throttle has always treated me well when it comes to product support. No complaints.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I think this is good customer service from TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
Please contact our toll-free customer service line. If you are within the warranty period of two years we should have no trouble replacing those for you. 855-255-5550 If you bought them through a dealer of ours you may have to run the warranty through the shop. If you call us though we will get you taken care of one way or another.

Kevin
Kevin,
Thanks for the reply, and I did ordered these directly from TT in March of '09 so I'm out of the two year warranty period. A closer inspection of the welded area has revealed that the actual weld did not fail but the parent material around the weld failed. A friend of mine who is a ASTM certified welder looked at it and his evaluation was that welder was set to hot and undercut the parent metal at all the joints. Although I not a certified welder I'm still pretty good and can use his equipment to re-weld and add some gusseting to all the welded joints. It won't cost me anything but a some beers and a few hours work; and I was able to complete the trip so no harm no foul. Additionally, I think I'll replace all those quick-release fasteners as well. But thanks again for your response. I think your customer service is good and in no way am I knocking that.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
Kevin,
Thanks for the reply, and I did ordered these directly from TT in March of '09 so I'm out of the two year warranty period. A closer inspection of the welded area has revealed that the actual weld did not fail but the parent material around the weld failed. A friend of mine who is a ASTM certified welder looked at it and his evaluation was that welder was set to hot and undercut the parent metal at all the joints. Although I not a certified welder I'm still pretty good and can use his equipment to re-weld and add some gusseting to all the welded joints. It won't cost me anything but a some beers and a few hours work; and I was able to complete the trip so no harm no foul. Additionally, I think I'll replace all those quick-release fasteners as well. But thanks again for your response. I think your customer service is good and in no way am I knocking that.
Well I'm glad you wil be able to resolve the issue and I am still sorry it happened. We do have a kit to fasten the quick-lock carriers to the bike.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...k-sidecarriers

Also, I didn't get the impression you were upset with SW-MOTECH or Twisted Throttle and I'm glad you're happy with our service. We do try.

Kev
Old 06-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #20
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
The racks are fine, but the struts will bend if you drop the bike hard enough; they are easy to straighten if you need to. I just found a crack in the HAZ of one of the welds on mine; just welded it back up and painted it, no problem.

As others said, if you really plan to abuse these things, you might want to look for a more robust setup.

PS - Twisted Throttle has always treated me well when it comes to product support. No complaints.
As one who is currently researching which racks to buy this thread came up. As to the notion of gussets and beefier racks my two cents is that : at the point the racks become a (relatively) "immoveable object", i.e., somewhat indestructable, then the MC takes all the punishment, so decide if you want bent racks or bent bike is my theory. I do, however, want a rack/luggage set that will support the MC in a zero tipover situ with only scratchy stuff to deal with.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Since this thread got kicked back up again, I'll add an updated two cents worth.

I ride a big Vstrom, and I put 15,000 miles on the Vee last year, a lot of which were dirt roads of various states of repair (and dis-repair). Obviously no single track, but hey... it's close to 600 lbs. loaded.

My Vee's taken a few naps, including the one pictured below, which was induced by a collision with the red pickup truck. I haven't had the quick-release bits that connect the SW Motech racks to my Vee fail.

I never remove the racks from the bike... just the luggage from the rack... so I can't comment on how it works with the on-and-off bits. I use a Micatech pannier system on the Vee, so I don't use Twisted Throttle or SW Motech cases or case-mounting hardware, so I can't comment on the case-mounting hardware.

In summary, I can't say that I swoon over my SW Motech racks... but I can also say that they've never caused me pain. I've never really thought about them either way (other than the pain in the ass installation I mentioned earlier in the thread) so I guess that's a good thing...

zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #22
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

I'm currently taking a look at the Jesse side racks, which are alu , on which to mount my SKB cases. I feel like I'm narrowed down to the Happy Trails or perhaps the Jesse set up. For a glimpse at a set of Caribou luggage & how it appears to handle usage, take a look @ a 3 piece set for sale on fleabay-the pictures are good and take notice of the inside metal plate at the top attachment point for the panniers. It looks like a "metal eating squirrel" chewed on it?? Appears to be vibration damage?
I just talked to Jesse Luggage lady & they don't really have any experience with people that use their racks with plastic cases as I will be doing. If you have used their stuff to mount such please give me a heads up on that application. Thanks
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85

kantuckid screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 02:17 PM
Old 06-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #23
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

After a "better look" I now realize that the Jesse racks are in further toward the MC rear tire,etc. @ the bottom of their 2 piece per side rack arrangement,thus w/o use of a considerable( meaning of impractical depth) spacer they simply don't work with flat back cases. I will say that I do find the Jesse arrangement to be the IMO!!!!!!!! best deign out there, hands down.
What I did buy is the Wolfman side racks for which I had failed to consider early on that they are not only the least expensive side racks on the market(Revzilla discounts them @ $193.99/free ship) but also as strongly built as any unless you want the cross brace at the back per some other brands. They sell a mount kit for hard bags but I'm going to fabricate my own mounting parts. Several other brands of rear racks will go on with the Wolfman sides for a top case platform.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:44 AM   #24
rc51owner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I have this setup on my 1200 explorer. At first I was looking at the caribou solution, but the shipping costs were going to be outrageous to Canada (eg. $30 for a set of hard link connecting bolts for the SW-Motech racks). The caribou set up looks well made and is a turn key solution.

In the end I decided to go with the twisted throttle solution for a couple of reasons:
  • Cost of shipping (free ground shipping to Canada)
  • The mount points to the racks at the bottom are better with the twisted throttle version (it slots into replaceable bobbins rather than directly over the rack loops themselves)
I was originally concerned about having to do the drilling of the cases myself but it was very easy to do. I used packing tape to hold the brackets to the case while I did the drilling of the pilot and then correct sized holes.

For locks I will use combination locks on the four lock hasps. A bit of a pain in the arse to get to stuff but also less likely to snag on stuff than the twisting internal keyed blade type.

I chose the SW-Motech racks for portability to other bikes as I am a bike whore. All in all I am very impressed with the integrity and stoutness of the system. I leave the racks on all the time and replaced the quick lock mounts with through bolts for rigidity reasons.

Cheers,

M
rc51owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #25
CPORet
I Am Kirok!

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51owner View Post
I have this setup on my 1200 explorer. At first I was looking at the caribou solution, but the shipping costs were going to be outrageous to Canada (eg. $30 for a set of hard link connecting bolts for the SW-Motech racks). The caribou set up looks well made and is a turn key solution.

In the end I decided to go with the twisted throttle solution for a couple of reasons:
  • Cost of shipping (free ground shipping to Canada)
  • The mount points to the racks at the bottom are better with the twisted throttle version (it slots into replaceable bobbins rather than directly over the rack loops themselves)
I was originally concerned about having to do the drilling of the cases myself but it was very easy to do. I used packing tape to hold the brackets to the case while I did the drilling of the pilot and then correct sized holes.

For locks I will use combination locks on the four lock hasps. A bit of a pain in the arse to get to stuff but also less likely to snag on stuff than the twisting internal keyed blade type.

I chose the SW-Motech racks for portability to other bikes as I am a bike whore. All in all I am very impressed with the integrity and stoutness of the system. I leave the racks on all the time and replaced the quick lock mounts with through bolts for rigidity reasons.

Cheers,

M
rc51owner -

If you're concerned about the locks, here's an alternative:

http://www.padlocks4less.com/cylinder-tubular-lock.html

I ordered 3 of them keyed the same since I had my topcase long before my side cases and the keys did not match.
Now I have 1 key for all three cases. The locks are 99% identical in dimensions to the ones that come with the mounts,
so they do not require any alterations for them to fit. Basically bolt-on. And, they are tough. I ended up twisting one
of the keys almost in half, and the lock was not affected. Try that with a standard key, and you'd have to dig the rest
of the key out of the lock.

And, just to complete the look, here are some lock covers I found:

http://www.safeandlockstore.com/die-...g-loaded-t107/

As an added bonus, the covers will help keep moisture and gunk of the the locks.

This is what you end up with:

With cover:

Also, something else I've noticed about the SW-Motech racks and Pelican adapters is that the space on the
mounting bobbins is wider than the thickness of the bracket that fits into them, i.e. they will rattle. To prevent
this, I stuck a pair of #9 O-Rings (from the plumbing section of Lowe's) on each of the bobbins. No more rattling.

CPORet screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 09:08 PM
CPORet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #26
rc51owner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Thanks for the link for the better quality locks. My concern wasn't with the mounting locks but rather about securing the contents.

Also thanks for the o-ring suggestion to prevent rattles. I haven't noticed any rattle yet.

Cheers,

M
rc51owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #27
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Heat issues?

Has anyone had any issues with the Pelican cases and exhaust heat?

I thought about putting heat reflective tape on the back...simple and cheap but not sure if I should worry.
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #28
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambonee View Post
Has anyone had any issues with the Pelican cases and exhaust heat?

I thought about putting heat reflective tape on the back...simple and cheap but not sure if I should worry.
Yes, the pelican's get s bit toasty by the exhaust. Put a piece if aluminum sheet on the back of the pelican case. Use some small stand offs to create an air gap and you'll be good.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #29
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
ANyone tried this set up but with seahorse luggage? Using the pelican quick release though...
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #30
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
ANyone tried this set up but with seahorse luggage? Using the pelican quick release though...
The intention of the kit it to allow it to mount to any flat sided item like a...... Cooler.

I spoke with the designer who built the pelican hardware system and he installed a set of Seahorse 720 cases as a test. The only thing he had to do to make it work was with a carpenters chisel he had to plane down the small ridge on the back of the cases. This was in the areas where the hoop would not lie flat on the back of the case.

Kevin