User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
blake716 OP
nine toes

Oddometer: 11,697
MX Boots for big calves?

Okay, I could stand to lose a few more pounds, but even then, I have unusually large calves.
I'm about 260lbs (yeah I gained a few since I got married 7 years ago) But even when I was 190-195lbs and was racing enduro's, I had to adjust the buckles almost all the way out to fit over these cows.
I've been doing cardio and eating right for a few months now and dropped from 290lbs, all because I knew I'd be buying a bike and wanted to be in better shape.
The problem I have now is, I can't buckle my friggin new boots! I can make, er umm force, the buckles close without my riding pants on, but they won't buckle over my pants. It just ain't happening.

What are my options? ...besides keeping on losing weight.
Do they make boots for fat calf people?

I'm dropping the weight pretty good, but even at this pace it'll be a while before I can buckle my boots.

If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.

Let the fat jokes begin.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Edwards
Gravel Eddie

Oddometer: 250
I am sure you have thought of this, but is there a Cycle Gear or a motorcycle shop that has a variety of boots you can try on? There has to be a boot out there for big guys.

Best of luck.
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
blake716 OP
nine toes

I did that, but the few bike shops we have locally don't have much of a selection.
The best thing I can think of is double up the cardio and get some over the boot pants.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
hardpackrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I have large calves and my Gaerne sg12's have room to spare.. I think they'll still have room even w my knee guards tucked in..

via Tapatalk

Every man dies. Not every man really lives. William Wallace
I'm working on that Bill... it's why I'm here. hardpackrider
hardpackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
blake716 OP
nine toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardpackrider View Post
I have large calves and my Gaerne sg12's have room to spare.. I think they'll still have room even w my knee guards tucked in..

via Tapatalk
After researching last night, it looks like my 2 best options are Sidi Crossfire and Gaerne SG10's or SG12's.
It looks like I'll be returning my boots today for some Gaerne SG10's as Rocky Mountain MC has a really good price on them right now.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake716 View Post
After researching last night, it looks like my 2 best options are Sidi Crossfire and Gaerne SG10's or SG12's.
It looks like I'll be returning my boots today for some Gaerne SG10's as Rocky Mountain MC has a really good price on them right now.

Thanks!
Was going to recommend the SG10.. I just got a pair, and while my legs arent HUGE.. after 23 years of running and hiking in the Marines.. and backpacking my whole life, they are not toothpicks either... I had plenty of room, and in fact they were probably too wide for my over the boot pants.. definately give them a try.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
KS Jay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Your on the right path with Gaerne SG10, can't speak for SG12.
KS Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
Check into Thor 50/50 boots if you don't mind a shorter boot. You'll need to get an outside the leg MX pant, but honestly, I love them.

100% motocross boot for sure and durable as hell like a motocross should be, but short, light, and comfortable enough that I'm wearing them right now at work.

Calf size doesn't matter with these cause they don't go up that far. Size wise, I have 50lbs on you.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
blake716 OP
nine toes

I ordered the SG-10's last night, so I guess I'll find out if they're good enough.

As for the shorter boots, I gave that a thought, but figured that would be a last resort.
My calves measure 19", and from what I've been reading, the SG-10's can handle a little larger.
If not, then it'll be the shorter boots with knee/shin guards.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
MtnRider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Very curious as to how they work out for you as we have similar size calves.
MtnRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
how big are your calves? without that number we are all guessing what the hell will fit you.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake716 View Post
I ordered the SG-10's last night, so I guess I'll find out if they're good enough.

As for the shorter boots, I gave that a thought, but figured that would be a last resort.
My calves measure 19", and from what I've been reading, the SG-10's can handle a little larger.
If not, then it'll be the shorter boots with knee/shin guards.

My calves measure 19 and I tried on SG10's last week! could not close the boot. Same problem I got now with my Quadrants. Crossfires are the oonly boot that will close around my calves. I had problems with ski boots all my life! Sucks! Let us know, but I think you'll have problems!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #13
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
I am 6'6" and have huge calves from years of carrying a few extra pounds and lots of ice hockey. I have alpinestars tech3's and they fit my size 14 feet perfect and don't crimp the calves.
Jake Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
My calves measure 19 and I tried on SG10's last week! could not close the boot. Same problem I got now with my Quadrants. Crossfires are the oonly boot that will close around my calves. I had problems with ski boots all my life! Sucks! Let us know, but I think you'll have problems!
interesting..my calves are 17.5 and I am on the tightest settings on my SG10s... i would have figured there was at least 2-3" more space available.. but I do wear over the boot pants.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
goin2alaska
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
boots

Just go to a bigger size, thats what I did with my street boots, I have the same problem, my mx boots are old tech 6 and they are very wide in the ankle and fit very well with the proper size, hope this helps.