User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
expatbrit OP
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 175
Question "Euro fit' gear in a tall?

I've been searching, checked the tall guy gear thread, hunted stores... can't find an answer.

Is there a gear company out there that makes 'euro-fit' gear in talls? If so, do they make a waterproof, vented jacket? Ideally, it'd also have a full zip for pants.

I think my options are:

* BMW (and I'm not sure how slim their stuff is, since I can't find a set to try on)
* Custom (Motoport, Teiz -- Aerostitch can't tweak enough to fit me -- and neither of these is waterproof in the shell)

Mind you, I'm pretty much at the extreme body type in the 'tall and skinny' category, so I'm not expecting perfection. 6'7, 42" chest, 33" (jeans) waist, 34" inseam and disproportionately long arms. The US manufacturers (FG, Cortech/Tourmaster, and JR) seem to tend towards someone with a considerably heavier build than me; my Kili fits me find in the shoulders and arms in an LT, but you could get two of me into the waist.

I'm open to importing from the UK; I'm open to buying in the US -- I just would like something that fits, looks reasonable, and is protective. I like the look of the Held Cardona, but who knows if it'll fit or not. Rukka appears to be right out, says TrophyMike (dammit). Rev'it, if it fits me in the body, is about 3" short in the sleeves.

So. Am I on a vain quest, or is there something out there I haven't considered? If Teiz made a waterproof suit, I'd be on it, but I cna't even find rain gear that fits and I never put it on in time anyway...
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 501
Here's a link to the "Extrasize" section of Spidi (clothing I have bought and like).

I see they do "Robust" in jackets and long in pants but I'm not sure if that works for you?

You could ask Matteo from Spidi in the Vendors section.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
expatbrit OP

Thanks; good stuff!

I think, from a quick squint, that 'robust' is more for solidly built types and less for skinny bastards like myself. I do like the suggestion to ask the vendor; I've reached out to Held USA and found them very helpful, as well as Trophymike on the Rukka stuff...
Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Check BMW tall sizes...I wear a 106 which is a 42 tall and I have same waist and inseam and chest as you, but I'm 5" shorter. I'm very happy with the comfortshell suit, but at your height, the jacket might be short...perhaps a longer jacket like the Rallye 3 would work.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
Thanks; good stuff!

I think, from a quick squint, that 'robust' is more for solidly built types and less for skinny bastards like myself. I do like the suggestion to ask the vendor; I've reached out to Held USA and found them very helpful, as well as Trophymike on the Rukka stuff...
I see they have the opposite of robust too

I love that Political Correctness has not interfered at Spidi in Matteo's descriptions

Good luck in your search.

Triumph Explorer
Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
expatbrit OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Check BMW tall sizes...I wear a 106 which is a 42 tall and I have same waist and inseam and chest as you, but I'm 5" shorter. I'm very happy with the comfortshell suit, but at your height, the jacket might be short...perhaps a longer jacket like the Rallye 3 would work.
It's more sleeves, usually. Their 42 talk is still a bit short in the sleeve.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
It's more sleeves, usually. Their 42 talk is still a bit short in the sleeve.
You may need to go with a custom suit like Motoport then, or if you find a suit that fits fine except for the sleeves, then have a tailor add length to the sleeves.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:39 AM   #8
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
............ then have a tailor add length to the sleeves.
or a surgeon .............

Hey, he might have a good health plan and crap tailors!

Triumph Explorer
Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
expatbrit OP

Quote:
You may need to go with a custom suit like Motoport then, or if you find a suit that fits fine except for the sleeves, then have a tailor add length to the sleeves.
That's about where I'm at. I'd go 'stitch, but I'm too far outside the norm for them to fit. Motoport isn't waterproof on the outside, but really protective (and, from what I've seen, not exactly styling and mixed reviews on getting custom gear).

If I end up going that way, I'm pretty sure I'll go Teiz. It's not styling either, but ....
Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Earlier this year I was on a quest to find exactly that...and it is slim pickings...but I think that you are outside of even the tall sizes. I am 6'3" , 41" chest, with a 33" inseam (long torso, with long arms, and shortish legs for my size)...and am at the edge of the range of some "tall" jackets.

Stadler might be your best bet! They seem to make some really high quality stuff (similar to Rukka IMHO), comes in talls...AND some of their products can be made to to order (sizes and colors).
The website (http://www.stadler-bekleidung.de/ind...rtigungen.html) says:
"Viele unserer Produkte fertigen wir auch nach Maß und in individuellen Farben. Demnächst bieten wir diesen Service auch direkt auf unserer Homepage an. Treten Sie mit uns in Kontakt für Ihren individuelles Stück Stadler Bekleidung."
Sounds like you can't order custom from the website, but to get in touch with them directly....I bet it won't be cheap though as the Stadler gear is comparably priced to Rukka, before you get in to any custom fees.

Rukka and Revit have tall sizes in pants, but not in their jackets...on their jackets, the sleeves are short for me...

Some of the high-end Dianese jackets, e.g. the Tundra, come in a tall...never seen one to try one.

BMW gear comes in a tall (their catalog says their 110 size -- is for 6'3", 42-43" chest)...but the dealer hasn't had any talls to try on...but will order with no commitment.

[I have a Aerostich Transit 42L which is cut LONG (longer than the 42L roadcrafter I have). Their sizing tool says the longs is good for 6'1" but I find the fit to be great (no quibbles on the fit, It is the only jacket I have where I wouldn't want a longer torso)...is there an off-chance that the 44L transit would fit? Nevermind --too big in the waist and chest....]

if you are forced to go a full-custom, not-waterproof route. You might want to (also) consider a company like Johnson Leathers (use quality forcefield armor, vents)...if you don't mind leather instead of textiles.

HTH,
Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
expatbrit OP

Great info in here, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
Earlier this year I was on a quest to find exactly that...and it is slim pickings...but I think that you are outside of even the tall sizes. I am 6'3" , 41" chest, with a 33" inseam (long torso, with long arms, and shortish legs for my size)...and am at the edge of the range of some "tall" jackets.
You and I sound like we're built pretty much alike, so must have the same issues. It's a bloody nightmare!

I'm sort of lucky in that my torso isn't /too/ long. Apparently I have the neck of a giraffe.

Quote:
Stadler might be your best bet! They seem to make some really high quality stuff (similar to Rukka IMHO), comes in talls...AND some of their products can be made to to order (sizes and colors).
The website (http://www.stadler-bekleidung.de/ind...rtigungen.html) says:
"Viele unserer Produkte fertigen wir auch nach Maß und in individuellen Farben. Demnächst bieten wir diesen Service auch direkt auf unserer Homepage an. Treten Sie mit uns in Kontakt für Ihren individuelles Stück Stadler Bekleidung."
Sounds like you can't order custom from the website, but to get in touch with them directly....I bet it won't be cheap though as the Stadler gear is comparably priced to Rukka, before you get in to any custom fees.
I did some poking around on there earlier, but didn't get a real feel. I'd like to avoid custom, and the associated fees, but I'll take another look at their stuff.

Quote:
Rukka and Revit have tall sizes in pants, but not in their jackets...on their jackets, the sleeves are short for me...
Tried on a Rev'it. It was silly. Silly short sleeves.

Quote:
Some of the high-end Dianese jackets, e.g. the Tundra, come in a tall...never seen one to try one.

BMW gear comes in a tall (their catalog says their 110 size -- is for 6'3", 42-43" chest)...but the dealer hasn't had any talls to try on...but will order with no commitment.

[I have a Aerostich Transit 42L which is cut LONG (longer than the 42L roadcrafter I have). Their sizing tool says the longs is good for 6'1" but I find the fit to be great (no quibbles on the fit, It is the only jacket I have where I wouldn't want a longer torso)...is there an off-chance that the 44L transit would fit? Nevermind --too big in the waist and chest....]

if you are forced to go a full-custom, not-waterproof route. You might want to (also) consider a company like Johnson Leathers (use quality forcefield armor, vents)...if you don't mind leather instead of textiles.

HTH,
Ideally, it'd be textile -- I'm spoilt by the convenience of a waterproof outer shell. (My quibble with the Spidi Ergo 05, which comes in a 'slim', if not a tall. My track leathers are from Spartan and definitely pretty good, so that option is out there.

I've seen the 'stitch Transit. It really does look to be cut VERY long, and that's an interesting option. How does it do in hotter weather; you're in Tucson so you get it even hotter than we do over here.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
expatbrit OP

(Lord, Stadler's WWW site is bloody awful!)
Old 07-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
expatbrit OP

In case anyone is actually following this -- and I doubt it -- Stadler's customer service appears to be excellent. They do custom fit, waterproof, protective, etc.

Their tall pants, though, are 10cm too big for me in the waist to fit my inseam; and I'm a 32" waist / 34" inseam in most jeans now that I've lost a few pounds. Interesting. Custom will fit, of course.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
UAS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
6'9" and about 210, I used to be skinny. 38 sleeves and 38 inseam. There ain't squat off the rack. I wore a First Gear Tall for a few years but like the OP says you could get two of me in the waist area. Sleeves were just barely okay, pants were too short.

Last year I went the Motoport route. I was hesitant about the measurements but after taking them and talking to Wayne I took the plunge. I could not be more pleased. The armor took a bit of breaking in but the fit is perfect. I do wish they were waterproof without a liner, but a brief shower does not penetrate. I did the stretch kevlar. With the thermal liner, heated vest and long pants, I am comfortable in the 40s. Shorts and a t-shirt under the jacket and pants wth temps pushing 100 is okay. They were not inexpensive but I think worthy every penny.

Tall tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads. cars, airline seats, sport coats...another story... :

UAS screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 09:33 AM
UAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Take a look at the firstgear tpg rainier and Teton jackets. Waterproof shell with vents. The teton is the waist length version of the rainier. they are on closeout right now so you can get a good deal on them if you can find your size in stock. The tpg jackets fit much slimmer than the rest of the firstgear line.
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote