ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #136
MrBob
Certified Geezer
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by svizzerams View Post

Corridor of the hospital in the largest camp - here they treat everything from kids with meningitis, diabetes (sorry, no insulin), land mine injuries....
How is diabetes treated then? Types I and II? I can't imagine telling these people they need to change their diets and get more exercise.




These medics, ethnic Karen, most of them between 18 to 30 are my heroes - they work hard and tirelessly on behalf of their people to alleviate suffering with what they have available - which isn't a lot. The Karen are just one of several ethnic groups that have been oppressed by the government since 1948 that have been involved with ongoing conflicts in the region for decades, although the Burmans aren't much better off under the current regimen. I am hopeful to see signs of change in Burma but have reservations that it will be window dressing to lure in the multinationals who are chomping at the bit to get access to the natural resources that once made Burma one of the richest countries in SE Asia. Keeping my fingers crossed that these camps can close and the people can go back to their villages and homes.

Obligatory cute kid picture
Cute kid indeed. They appear to generally be a beautiful people.
What agency do you work/volunteer with?
Do these people still use indigenous forms of healing? Plant-based medicines, for instance?
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #137
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,309
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #138
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette
 
svizzerams's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Chelanistan, PNW: the arid edition.
Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Cute kid indeed. They appear to generally be a beautiful people.
What agency do you work/volunteer with?
Do these people still use indigenous forms of healing? Plant-based medicines, for instance?
I worked on behalf of the Karen Dept of Health and Welfare (www.kdhw.org) who train the medics - the medics identified pharmacy as a area they wanted to learn more about. An American acquaintance working with them knew I was a pharmacist and asked if I'd be interested in helping out. I thought it through for about 5 minutes before saying yes. Two trips there changed my perspective on a lot of things. As for the patients with life threatening diseases they either die or they get taken "across" to a Thai hospital, but that is risky because they are illegal there and have no money. The medics are trained in western medicine, but they also employ indigenous means as well I imagine. This is a conflict zone, with people displaced from their homes and their normal means of sustaining themselves - usual ways of making a living and farming. Malnutrition is a big problem because they are in areas where they can't grow rice, the main staple, so it has to be purchased and brought in - usually on someones back. 50 kg bags of rice up steep hillsides. They are resourceful, hard working and even in the camps they build schools and train teachers, build clinics and train medics, build churches (oddly for southeast asia, a high percentage of the Karen are Christians) and shrines (if Buddhist). The history of Burma is fascinating, tragic and sometimes absurd.
__________________
don't care 'bout going fast...just want to go far...svizzerams

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #139
Deuce
Crazy Canuck
 
Deuce's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
Oddometer: 2,766
Work shop/ tool room


M.A.N. cylinder head


Where the head came from


Piston being pulled


Spirit of Vancouver Island ferry in Esquimalt dry dock. The largest dry dock on the Westcoast
__________________
I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.
-- Winnie the Pooh
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #140
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe
 
Hay Ewe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: FNQ - AUS
Oddometer: 2,685
CCounterlater, Rotring mechanical pencil and black ink ball point.
the rest of it is in my head....
not quite as kewl as plenty others but hay, i'm a pencil pusher

__________________
Moments before you die, your life will flash before your eyes - make sure the film is worth watching - my Grandad
I like your logic - its alternative - Ninja Wranga 03-Aug-13
WWBD? -
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷

Hay Ewe screwed with this post 06-12-2012 at 08:40 PM Reason: PUT THE PICTURE BACK
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #141
xrguy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
xrguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Tulsa
Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by a$$hole View Post
Not my shop but most of the time 3 of these.





Some times one of these.


: Drool
xrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #142
MrBob
Certified Geezer
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by svizzerams View Post
I worked on behalf of the Karen Dept of Health and Welfare (www.kdhw.org) who train the medics - the medics identified pharmacy as a area they wanted to learn more about. An American acquaintance working with them knew I was a pharmacist and asked if I'd be interested in helping out. I thought it through for about 5 minutes before saying yes. Two trips there changed my perspective on a lot of things. As for the patients with life threatening diseases they either die or they get taken "across" to a Thai hospital, but that is risky because they are illegal there and have no money. The medics are trained in western medicine, but they also employ indigenous means as well I imagine. This is a conflict zone, with people displaced from their homes and their normal means of sustaining themselves - usual ways of making a living and farming. Malnutrition is a big problem because they are in areas where they can't grow rice, the main staple, so it has to be purchased and brought in - usually on someones back. 50 kg bags of rice up steep hillsides. They are resourceful, hard working and even in the camps they build schools and train teachers, build clinics and train medics, build churches (oddly for southeast asia, a high percentage of the Karen are Christians) and shrines (if Buddhist). The history of Burma is fascinating, tragic and sometimes absurd.
Wikipedia states that the Karen have been in conflict with the main Burma government for over 60 years, and that there are red Karan and white Karen and a bunch of Karen generally. In addition to the majority Buddhists and minority Christians people seem to practice animism, which I learned a little about when I worked with the Hmong people in Minnesota.
It is so good of you to help these people and I can imagine that you received quite a bit in return.
As I near the end of my nursing career I've been looking for opportunities to work with volunteer organizations though I haven't detected a crying need for my hospice skills.
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #143
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic
 
Gas Hog's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: 7,000ft CO
Oddometer: 976
Got to make those bike parts on something..


Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #144
nfranco
over macho grande?
 
nfranco's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: la ca
Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Ah the old days, I almost miss those, even flew some on the steadicam, not with that lens though.
nfranco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #145
jazzmans
fickt euch
 
jazzmans's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Devils Playground nv
Oddometer: 7,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig View Post










Well worn Rack! (and that's one funky belay device on the table)




https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...k/P1010941.MOV
jaz
__________________
no-one sees motorcycles.

life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.

Klay-->You know what I mean, you bubble-headed noise-maker.
jazzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #146
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]
 
SnowMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: I LIVE IN A GIANT BUCKET
Oddometer: 18,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
CCounterlater, Rotring mechanical pencil and black ink ball point.
the rest of it is in my head....
not quite as kewl as plenty others but hay, i'm a pencil pusher

heh, your calculator has a '420' switch on it
__________________
Spewer of the poignant non sequitur
SnowMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #147
mike in idaho
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mike in idaho's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Oddometer: 112
mike in idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #148
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe
 
Hay Ewe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: FNQ - AUS
Oddometer: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
heh, your calculator has a '420' switch on it
yeah, I suppose so. I dont know what it does. I like it because its big and have had it for so long that to use another is difficult, teh buttons are in different place.

What does a '420' switch do?
__________________
Moments before you die, your life will flash before your eyes - make sure the film is worth watching - my Grandad
I like your logic - its alternative - Ninja Wranga 03-Aug-13
WWBD? -
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #149
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist
 
Cat Daddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Working in my shop in Springtown Texas
Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post

What does a '420' switch do?
It makes you laugh a lot and eat Doritos.
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #150
MrBob
Certified Geezer
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post

What does a '420' switch do?
Maybe it's an American thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_%28cannabis_culture%29
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014