User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
AdventuresofJB2 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Moving from Austin, TX to Seattle, WA by motorcycle

My wife and I have been traveling around the world for the past 9 months, and have done rides through Ecuador, Laos, Thailand, etc; but somehow never done a big one in the US. When we got back we decided we wanted to live somewhere new, and settled on either Portland or Seattle. I pulled the bikes out of storage and got them fixed up again (all they needed was an oil change and new batteries).

We rode for 2 weeks, couchsurfing almost the entire way. It was an incredible experience, and we were able to meet tons of great people, and even had a tense experience with some gun wielding drunken swingers (that's not in the blog since the in-laws might read it).

We already created a pretty huge post on our blog about it, which you can find here:

http://adventuresofjb2.blogspot.com/...-trip-usa.html

We rode over 3000 miles without incident. But of course the day we get an apartment in Seattle, a woman slams on her brakes at a light and I go down while trying to avoid her. Luckily no serious injury, and minor damage to the bike. Now I get to make some mods :). If anyone is in the Seattle area and wants to go for a ride let us know.
AdventuresofJB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
Captain Frantic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Welcome to Seattle and the great PNW!!! Traffic in the city sucks, but plenty of good riding around here. A few of my riding buddies and I are doing this ride next weekend. Something to consider if you haven't seen much of the area yet. Welcome aboard!
Old 04-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #3
AdventuresofJB2 OP
n00b

Thanks! We read about that ride but don't know if we can make that one yet. We are planning on checking out the backfire moto night though. We're already loving Seattle though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Frantic View Post
Welcome to Seattle and the great PNW!!! Traffic in the city sucks, but plenty of good riding around here. A few of my riding buddies and I are doing this ride next weekend. Something to consider if you haven't seen much of the area yet. Welcome aboard!
Old 04-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #4
moto827
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Great ride report! How did the bikes perform on the road? I have the same bike and planning do a road trip this summer. Did you guys mainly stay on the back roads or freeways?
moto827 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
AdventuresofJB2 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto827 View Post
Great ride report! How did the bikes perform on the road? I have the same bike and planning do a road trip this summer. Did you guys mainly stay on the back roads or freeways?
The bikes performed great. We mostly did freeways, and they rode just fine. My wife is only 5'4", and we got them because she can comfortably reach the ground on it. Plenty of people will tell you they are too small, etc; but we were hitting 75-80 with no problems.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventuresofJB2 View Post
We already created a pretty huge post on our blog about it, which you can find here:

http://adventuresofjb2.blogspot.com/...-trip-usa.html
Nice blog, subscribed!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
peanutbuttercup
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Talking Welcome to Seattle

Hello! Hope you are loving Seattle. Whenever my SO, friends and I go on rides I will make sure to invite you along. Plus I would love to chat about your adventures. We live and work in Seattle - we don't have to much free time but always love meeting new people.
peanutbuttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #8
AdventuresofJB2 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbuttercup View Post
Hello! Hope you are loving Seattle. Whenever my SO, friends and I go on rides I will make sure to invite you along. Plus I would love to chat about your adventures. We live and work in Seattle - we don't have to much free time but always love meeting new people.
Thanks! We've been experiencing a bit of the "Seattle Freeze" so it would be great to meet up with some like minded people. We've mostly been riding around town, but would love to go on some day-rides around the surrounding areas.
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #9
Cyemm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Welcome to Seattle.

Been here 10 years.
My ne plus ultra ride is over Highway 20, north cascades.
Full day to do a here and back.
Amazing road.
Winthrop is a small western style town on the east side.
A must do.
I went over and back last weekend, road is clean and dry.
Cyemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #10
Cyemm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Liberty Bell, Top of North Cascades Highway

Make sure you stop and have a brew/burger riverside at the Schoolhouse brewery in Winthrop, too.

Cyemm is offline   Reply With Quote