User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 01:20 AM   #136
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,422
Spectacular work!!

Some news from home: Crusaders are beating the bulls 13-6 in 39th minute of the super 15 semi final .
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #137
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,294
Nice pic....I say pic, took 15+ minutes and only one opened up.

I wish I was home.....!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #138
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Hey guys, awesome write up. Man those pics bring back some memories. I remember when we through the Icefields Parkway, one morning I mentioned I had a sore neck and commented at breakfast that i must have slept awkwardly, but it turns out I wasn't the only one. We concluded it was from gawking at the mountains. !!
I have a question for you. I assume you have replaced your I-pad. How do you find it to post ride reports from ? Can you post pics straight from Ipad to Advrider or do you have to go via something like smug mug.
We are packing for our TAT trip (leaving in 3 weeks) and have been "mulling," (read that as procrastinating !! ) over whether to get an Ipad or take our little notebook. It weighs twice as much, twice as bulky and is a lot slower.
But also another $1000

Whats your intended route through the US. Might bump into you somewhere
Cheers Phil and Dawn
Heya Phil, great to hear from you mate.

Yeap could have bored the viewer with hundreds of photos, anyone wantinga Rockies overdose can go to our pics are bore them selves senseless

Funny re your neck I had EXACTLY the same thing, I have Titanium Plates holding my neck together (I broke it) so it is stiff anyway but neck was worse than usual and my take on that was gawking hard and sore cheeks from grinning hard.

The ipad, we have not replaced it as yet, still waiting for World Nomads to settle too!!

We are currently still running a MacBook Air, 13.3" solid state drive, 4 gb ram, i5 processor and 256gb memory, small ultrabook.

We bought them both at the same time having gone from PC to MAc, certainly no regrets (other than shithead flogging our ipad), seems they are hot property to lite fingers

The ipad is fine for writing etc, we only had numbers and pages on it that we downloaded from the apps store at $10.00 each, same for the lappy plus the normal stuff they come with which is way ahead off any PC.

The ipad 2 is not much lighter than the lappy and the lappy is much easier to use, we use Photobucket and we are on Pro at $39.00 for two years, unlimited pics and vids all at full res, much quicker to post to ADV than Smugmug (we were on smugmug first to support baldy but net time is precious on the road so Photobucket won... sorry baldy)

The ipad does last a long time between charges, our airbook last up to 9 hours.

If it were me I would take an ultrabook if you have it in your budget, also buy in in the US, cheaper, warranty, charging set etc so much better all round.

Are you doing a RR or Blog?, if so ping us the link when you start it and we will follow you are see if we can cross paths, than would be well cool.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #139
GuillermoM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Heya Phil, great to hear from you mate.

Yeap could have bored the viewer with hundreds of photos, anyone wantinga Rockies overdose can go to our pics are bore them selves senseless

Funny re your neck I had EXACTLY the same thing, I have Titanium Plates holding my neck together (I broke it) so it is stiff anyway but neck was worse than usual and my take on that was gawking hard and sore cheeks from grinning hard.

The ipad, we have not replaced it as yet, still waiting for World Nomads to settle too!!

We are currently still running a MacBook Air, 13.3" solid state drive, 4 gb ram, i5 processor and 256gb memory, small ultrabook.

We bought them both at the same time having gone from PC to MAc, certainly no regrets (other than shithead flogging our ipad), seems they are hot property to lite fingers

The ipad is fine for writing etc, we only had numbers and pages on it that we downloaded from the apps store at $10.00 each, same for the lappy plus the normal stuff they come with which is way ahead off any PC.

The ipad 2 is not much lighter than the lappy and the lappy is much easier to use, we use Photobucket and we are on Pro at $39.00 for two years, unlimited pics and vids all at full res, much quicker to post to ADV than Smugmug (we were on smugmug first to support baldy but net time is precious on the road so Photobucket won... sorry baldy)

The ipad does last a long time between charges, our airbook last up to 9 hours.

If it were me I would take an ultrabook if you have it in your budget, also buy in in the US, cheaper, warranty, charging set etc so much better all round.

Are you doing a RR or Blog?, if so ping us the link when you start it and we will follow you are see if we can cross paths, than would be well cool.
Hello Andi and Ellen

Very nice to meet you!

It have been delightfully reading your posts and seeing your pics at advriders.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with all of us

An awesome trip! It can be said

I’m Guillermo M, from Uruguay, South America

From last year, with some friends we were planning a trip to Alaska (from Los Angeles)
I was planning to fly to LA, renting there a 1200 GS, and making the way up to AK
Unfortunately, one specific issue prevented me from going

My friend Bill did it. He’s just now coming back to LA after a 30 days journey
Bill, with Clif and Cindy, were posting their experiences at advrider.com in a thread named “Alaska on a BMW K1600GTL”

I would be very pleased if we can meet on your way to the South

I don´t know if you are planning to visit Uruguay, but in any case it would be fine to get in touch at certain point of your itinerary

I have ridden through Los Andes in the past and I could give you some tips about the routes (I’ve post some pics of Los Andes on the “Alaska on a…” thread)

My email address is:
gmara@montevideo.com.uy

Enjoy the trip!!! And again: thank you very much for being there!!!
GuillermoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #140
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Heya Guillermo M, it is pleasure to share our travels and it is heart warming for us to know you enjoy the read and pics.

We will definitely be coming through Uruguay and if you are there we would love to get in touch for sure.

We will keep your details and will contact ou no worries or you can give a us a reminder too

Thanks you for your kind words and we will stay in touch
Old 07-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #141
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Banff To Kaslo

Leaving from Griff and Lisas and back into reality we had a nice ride with good weather, we started on the back road 1A before rejoining the rat race over to Revelstoke.

It was our plan to stop at a waterfall called Takakkaw for lunch however the the park warden wanted $19.80 so it is twice the price of a car for two of us, we only wanted to go in for lunch and at $19.80 I would expect a steak or burger and drink (and extras) etc thus we canned that idea and carried on to a beautiful pull out with a river and small creek.

Earlier on a van with an old BSA on a trailer overtook us, they also were there having a comfort and snack stop so we got chatting as you do.

They were heading to Vintage motorcycle rally (my eyes lit up) in Kaslo just over the hill from where we were staying, how cool is that I am thinking planning ahead with deviant ideas on cungering up an epic plan to see all the oldies.

We said our goodbyes and grabbed our lunch bag, both picnic tables were taken so we went to one of the tables and asked the people if they minded if we used the other end to which they welcomed us, quick chat and all interest in the Kiwis .... something about our dodgy accent

The lady had made a huge bowl of Thai noodles, they said they had far too much and gave us some for lunch so a totally unexpected bonus, it was so nice and even Ellen head chef extraordinaire was very happy and full of praises, thank you to the two (nice) strange people who fed us well.

After riding out of the pullout fed and watered like Kings and Queens we rode on to Revelstoke, a quick tank stop was had, we then left to our next destination just over the hill from Kaslo.

Us on the ferry over the lake, nice scenery in the background

Mrs.Garmin had somewhat of a mixup and we fell short of the target until common sense kicked in and human intervention found our camp.

Game on, beautiful location, groovy setting and a perfect hideaway.

Interesting shed clad with everything on it

Dutchman and Chinese self portait with authentic frame and all ... saved a few bucks bro!

Outside shower with 2.1256 walls

I met up with Ken from Nakusp who has a 77 Honda, 860 Ducati 450 Scrambler and 61 Trumpy plus a whole bunch of Japanese bits and pieces, he is in the final stages of setting up a shop with access to all sorts of oldies, he is also a very talented restorer having seen his work first hand.

Kens bikes,

860 Ducati

450 Scrambler

61 Triumph

So shiny ... me waving at me

He is setting up for common size tyres with a tyre machine too so make it known a local petrolhead motorcyclist in Nakusp is creating better facilities for riders, well done Ken and best for the venture.

Ken and I rode over to Kaslo to the Vintage motorcycle display, fantastic road that I would love to have had my ex KTM 990 SMR on, superb!

On arriving in Kaslo it was stinking hot and perfect weather and the main street full of old lusties from yesteryear, I was like a kid in a candy shop, I had not seen so many Indians gathered in one spot, there where Harleys, Triumphs, Nortons, BMW’s etc.

So below is a collection of photos, can’t name each year and model tho, for any non petrolhead types this bit won't interest you, for the petrolhead types go grab some tissues and e n j o y .

Vincent, check it out Cag!!!

An east/west Indian with shaft drive, quite possibly one of the most beautiful bikes I have seen IMO, never seen one before

A Harley Knuckle

Indian with side car

And Indian showered with Indian stuff

Check out the grenade

Pull start

Highway pegs

Three D Murals

Another Indian

BMW R90 with sidecar

More Indians

Bobber Indian with white walls, very nicely done

The Mighty One in amongst to old lusties

Finally me, sitting on the Ducati 450, could easily take this home, absolutely love it, it would be the only Ducati that I would ever own again, it felt like a scoota next to the DR

Old 07-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #142
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,294
Looks like you had fun with Ken at Mintocycles...!

Will that tire machine be ready in a couple weeks? I have been bugging him a little, well I mean supplying him with some bits for it, internet links and the balancer.You must have seen my new shoes.

Still can't open the pics.....self portrait????

Groovy.....!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #143
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Looks like you had fun with Ken at Mintocycles...!

Will that tire machine be ready in a couple weeks? I have been bugging him a little, well I mean supplying him with some bits for it, internet links and the balancer.You must have seen my new shoes.

Still can't open the pics.....self portrait????

Groovy.....!
Heya mate, yeah saw the new shoes, first time I had seen the PR3 in person, nice looking shoes .... they wouldn't fit the DR tho so you can have them

Tyre machine .. well ...maybe a bit of pear pressure (noting Kiwi Fruits!) from a pare off hooligans might push hime into it

Self portrait ..... nothing untoward and no more nudy white bums or yello bums

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 09:28 AM Reason: sepellling
Old 07-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #144
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Two Chinese Woman Ride DR650’s ... The Road Is Two Dangerous

Two Chinese Woman Ride DR650’s ... The Road Is Two Dangerous ... The meeting of two of the same minds.

You would’t believe it, just after I claimed to be the first Chinese Woman riding from Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia, Ken and Carol Duval told us they meet another Chinese woman riding in in Bolivia last year! I started to wonder who is she?

Anyway, we think we might be able to find out at some stage. While in Edmonton, we got an email from Griff, he was the guy rode DR650 last year with his wife Lisa to Argentina, Andi had some correspondence from him on our bikes setting up. They had just come back from England, now back home to Banff, they’d like to catch up with us. We are only couple of days away. Great timing!

After going through the worlds most beautiful icefield road, we got to Banff. It reminds me about Queenstown, New Zealand, busy and commercial.

Griff and Lisa met us, they said you have to meet Micheal and Jing, they were travelling together in Argentina last year for a while, both rode DR 650 too and Jing is the Chinese girl I was looking for and they are only 20min away in Canmore, what a small world!

Saturday 14th July in the afternoon, we went to Micheal and Jing’s home for BBQ. He didn’t know I was from China, so it was a little surprise for him too. Jing was working that day, didn’t get home until nearly 10 pm. She and I have so much in common, we are both from North China, both short, both learned to ride for the trip, most importantly, we both hate to stop! Instantly we become best friends.

Mike gave us headlight protector plastic for our headlights and marker lights, something that will be great further down the track, as no monetary exchange was allowed we traded a nice bottle of Red wine, thank you to Mike and Jing.

We also talked about our D Days, all of us had the same experience. It goes like this: “where are you going?” “I’m going to the airport to send you home.” Jing also told me she finally mastered the art of travel on gravel road, the secret is to ride a little bit faster, then the bike will be more stable. I was also scared to go too fast on the shingle, Andi has been telling many times to go a little bit faster to use the advantage of the gyroscopic effect of the wheels, but I just can’t do it. Now from a fellow rider who has the same level of riding as me, I will give it a go next time.

Michael also told us they had a big sorting out day in the trip, every one was crying, but finally, he realised he was doing his dream trip with people he loves, he would rather not continue if their relationship was going to be destroyed. We also promoted Andi as our team leader, now he has all the responsibility to keep all team members happy ;-)

All four of us.

The two intrepide travellers

In the end, Micheal gave me a big hug and said: “ I know what you have been through, what is hard to us (men), it would be four times harder for you ( being a woman with no experience). But the trip will make you so strong, going through this, you can go through everything in you life. I’m so proud of you.”

It was so great to meet Griff, Lisa, Micheal and Jing, they gave us not just general information of the direction we are going but also moral support from fellow travellers’ point of view. Huge thanks for you guys, we know there is a long way to go and we will face more difficulties while we hit the South, but with the support from you guys and others, we will make it happen.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #145
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Congratulations !!!!!

Congratulations !!!!!!
Great travel !!!! very nice pics !!!!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #146
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilianoXR650L View Post
Congratulations !!!!!!
Great travel !!!! very nice pics !!!!!!
Gracias amigo,

Thanks bro,

Glad you enjoy it, maybe we can catch up when we come through your country?
Old 07-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #147
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote Micheal"

Quote : "I am so proud of you"

Hell, I don't even know you and I'm proud of you and your accomplishment on this ride.

So as we say here in the lower 48---" YOU GO GIRL"

You guys keep the rubber side down, shinny side up & keep on trucking

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #148
GuillermoM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Heya Guillermo M, it is pleasure to share our travels and it is heart warming for us to know you enjoy the read and pics.

We will definitely be coming through Uruguay and if you are there we would love to get in touch for sure.

We will keep your details and will contact ou no worries or you can give a us a reminder too

Thanks you for your kind words and we will stay in touch
Thank you very much!!
If you come by summertime, you will be able to enjoy our beautiful beaches.
The Atlantic Ocean water is a little bit cold here, but you know… not as cold as the Arctic Ocean!! LOL
Let´s keep in touch
Guillermo

some pictures:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=2f9e81b02f
GuillermoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #149
dondesmo
Senior Squid

Oddometer: 84
Subscribed

Ran across this today and I need to catch up. You guys are great.
dondesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #150
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
Quote : "I am so proud of you"

Hell, I don't even know you and I'm proud of you and your accomplishment on this ride.

So as we say here in the lower 48---" YOU GO GIRL"

You guys keep the rubber side down, shinny side up & keep on trucking
Thank you very much for your support from the unknown, will keep the rubber side down but there is not much of a shiny side to keep up anymore

Will keep in touch and will keep the reports coming in which I hope you will enjoy.

Regards Ellen