Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #1516
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrockrat View Post
Wave he wasn't waving. He was pointing out to the crotch rocket pilot that he had strayed over the yellow line.
That line is only a basic guideline but for what I am not sure, the road get used both ways a lot ..... you just ride like an El Salvadorian or get run off the road.

I have found that I like the aggressive drivers because you KNOW what they are doing, the dickheads who drive slowly on a two lane road with a wheel in each lane and using their hazard lights you don't know what the fuck they are about to do.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #1517
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Ah mate, that brings back memories... seems like an age ago I was there. You're a bit woosey though, whining about the state of the track... in the daylight... on a KTM. Try hustling a fat pig Super Tenere up there... in the dark... while eating Mario's dust. I was better going up on my own the next night, when I could actually see something.

Great spot though eh?

Good to see you guys making progress again, keep it going. Look forward to seeing Ellen's bum you guys down here, Peru is awesome so far!

Here's the vid from going up on my lonesome the second night I was there...
Track was way better nic when you rode looking at the vids and your fans work well

The mighty Mayan took it easy in her stride despite having some monumental rains, was grateful for a 21 inch front wheel sporting the Pirelli MT21.

And yes that is absolutely superb and a small piece of paradise, we were truly lucky to stay there and Mario made our El Salvador visit top notch.

We are crossing 12 Aug so still a way behind you ... will try and get Ellens bum there as soon as we can

Any good KTM stealerships in Peru, will be needing to get chains and sprockets somewhere around there.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #1518
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Track was way better nic when you rode looking at the vids and your fans work well

The mighty Mayan took it easy in her stride despite having some monumental rains, was grateful for a 21 inch front wheel sporting the Pirelli MT21.

And yes that is absolutely superb and a small piece of paradise, we were truly lucky to stay there and Mario made our El Salvador visit top notch.

We are crossing 12 Aug so still a way behind you ... will try and get Ellens bum there as soon as we can

Any good KTM stealerships in Peru, will be needing to get chains and sprockets somewhere around there.
I live by the Pirrelli MT-21 tires on all my fleet of motos!

On the KTM dealership: Yes there is a good one here in Peru and I've known the owners personally for 20 years. When you get close to Peru, just give me a yell to my email on my website: http://www.aroundtheblockmotoadventures.com/about-us/

Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #1519
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by charapa View Post
I live by the Pirrelli MT-21 tires on all my fleet of motos!

On the KTM dealership: Yes there is a good one here in Peru and I've known the owners personally for 20 years. When you get close to Peru, just give me a yell to my email on my website: http://www.aroundtheblockmotoadventures.com/about-us/

Toby
Heya Toby, what a great site you have there very nice indeed.

For parts on the SE would we need to get hold of them in advance?

Also, did you get the photo hosting sorted, did you read the info from DSM8?, it is all pretty easy really (well everything is when you know how I guess )
Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #1520
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

San Salvador, Locale

The big welcoming from Mario with steaks and some greenery to spoil it but a great feast was had and a barb q that would make most kiwi blokes envious, Mario set the bar high.

We had a few drinkies talking about life and things as you do comparing countries, costs and services, all with pluses and minuses each way.

How could you not smile with this in front of you!!!

So this is the start of our new approach to seeing the places on our RTW trip whereby we bunk down at a central location, ditch both panniers and box and ride day rides out with just our wolfman soft bag for our wet gear and some water.

The decision was made to send all our camping stuff home to make life easier for me weight wise so our total gear is simply two side cases and a top box, if it does not fit in there it does not come. ... they are however optimally packed, so this now it our total kit.

Sooooooo, after setting up base at Marios hill we got the low down on what to see and where to go with outstanding knowledge from Mario knowing what adventure travelllers like to do.

This was all done in luxury of course ...

And this is the garden view we had to put up with

We took a walk to the Crater at the top of the Volcan, if you come through El Salvador you have to come to San Salvador and make the effort to go as it is a fantastic place with views from the top of the crater like we have never see before, breath taking from the top.

View from the top

The centre of the crater down inside

The writing with the rocks at the very bottom

It was 6.2 km up so we were tired when it was time to return, we met some locals at lookout No 3 of 4, we asked them about the bus and they said they were heading the same way so would give us a lift although we didn’t know the name of the town, it was so nice of them cos I have dodgy knees, walking up and flat is no problem but walking downhill kills them very quickly.

Even with my Parque Imposible custom handle on my walking sticks (cos one fell off in Mexico somewhere)it was nice to sit in the car on the way down, “thank you” locals.

That night was hot dog night.....Mario knocked up some superb hotdogs which went down like a treat, we had bougfht some dark Bacardi Rum too which evaporated in the heat pretty quickly, see in the photo I think we caught a bat ripping through in a split second.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #1521
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Laugh The Day After The Hot Dogs

Post Hot Dog day was a ride to Matapan and along the new supermoto race track return, at Matapan we pulled into the Pollo Compero for a coffee and # ones, the coffee to be fair was good and we sat in air conditioning which was luxury, upon going to leave we went to pay and the waitress said gratis, seems they thought highly of us and our politeness and smiles so the manager gave us coffee .

Thank you Mr.Manager, quite unexpected so a free plug for Pollo Compero in Central America, free Wifi, air con, clean toilets WITH toilet paper (coffee may not always be free tho) ... sorry

The naked 9 fiddy sun bathing while we coffee up

This is my free coffee look ..... kinda like Terminator forging a (stupid) grin

Free plug for the good guys

Our return leg toward home base was a brand new road beautifully paved and through some neat countryside ... then back towards San Salvador and across to our turn which takes us back up another world class supermoto track/road to the Volcan and home.

I was just waiting for Rossi to pass around the outside

Passing several signs we felt safe as the sign says "no hunting" ..... it didn’t day no hunting travellers but hey 8-) what a great day out.

More terrible roads with outstanding views

Back to Mario hill and down to the cafe to do some ride reports and upload photos...later that night finished off with a few grogs

At the cafe they have a zip line which was cool

The radio and telephone, looking yesteryear but all new, still cool just the same.

That night the lightning Gods put on a real show for us, one of many, the Gods used so much power that Santa Telca went dark for about an hour with a power cut that knocked down the power to the whole town.

Lightning through the clouds, this is around 9.30 pm on a pitch black and very wet night.

Finally the ghosty shot looking through the branches, the light behind the trees is actually the light from the lightning beyond, this shot was at about 11.30 pm pitch black and raining heavily.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #1522
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Suchitoto Trip

Next day we woke up to a beautiful day after a wild night of lighting and thunder and seriously heavy rain making its mark on the access road up and carving some good ruts in it.... as I discovered on the way down .... no problem to the mighty Mayan!!

We rode across the Volcan and out north and picked up where we left off on the supermoto highway, from there we turned right and down toward to lake to catch the ferry crossing, this is a stunning part of the country and a very enjoyable ride indeed.

Arriving at the docking point at San Francisco Lempa on lake Embalse Cerron Grande we were the only ones there, the price went from $6 to $7 to $10 when the lady told the ferry operator the bike was grande (big) .... at that rate of change it would be cheaper to get a helicopter.

We decided to do it rather than ride back, so we sat down, bought a watermelon and scoffed into it, soon after a car arrives so our price went back down to $6 ... then another car arrives but the base price is $4 for the moto and $1 each person.

Finally the ferry turns up ... all aboard, Maya has a AZ plate on her and one of the guys from one car was from Phoenix and asked which part of AZ we were from 8-) .... I shoulda said Bevans.

So much interest when we said New Zealand and conversations were rolling with one guy very interested in the bike.... it was a nice feeling chatting in English and some Spanish especially learning moto style words you don’t get in class.

The big dude holding the handlebars was fascinated by Maya

Arriving at the docking point at Suchitoto we rode off the ferry and up to Suchitoto township for lunch.

The exit ramp was lumpy, wet, greasy, stoney ... everything we all love

As above I rode off the ferry and over the greasy rougher stuff solo then waited for my photographer, again beautiful setting.

Lunch stop in Suchitoto, street lunch as the town square was being revamped.

Very nice older town

The mission from here was to get to Marios workshop to change Mayas oil, we had ordered 15 - 50 Motul fully synthetic fresh blood, this will see us through the rest of Central America and beyond, at nearly 5000km the old oil was black although gear shifting etc was still fine so the Central American heat takes its toll on oil with the bike running hotter in the 35 - 40 degree daytime temps.

Interestingly the engine is quieter with 20 - 50 GTX dinosaur oil in than the fully synthetic 15 - 50 Motul....even after nearly 5000 km on it!!

Getting the job done was easy, both screens were pretty clean, both magnets had virtually nothing on them and the main filter was also very clean which is very comforting given her start with us.

I washed the Scotts washable filter and two screens and back in they went followed closely by new blood.

Big thanks to Mario for getting the oil in for us and allowing us some space to do the change, although he has very competent mechanics I still prefer to do it myself so I know it has been done and cleaned well...piece of mind for me.

WOH HOH .. good to go!!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #1523
marior97
marior97

Oddometer: 307
Buen Viaje Kiwis

Great meeting Andi an Ellen

Hola ADVs

Ride safe amigos
Old 07-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #1524
ThrottleDave
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Subscribed.....better late than never!
ThrottleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #1525
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Good to see you had such a great time with Salvadors finest
Ride safe !
Old 07-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #1526
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Heya Toby, what a great site you have there very nice indeed.

For parts on the SE would we need to get hold of them in advance?

Also, did you get the photo hosting sorted, did you read the info from DSM8?, it is all pretty easy really (well everything is when you know how I guess )
Andi,

Yes, I'm on PHOTOBUCKET now and have uploaded a few albums, but haven't used them yet to here.

Give me your bike details and what you think you may need and I will check if Carlos has them in stock at the dealership. Is there a specific brand of chain you prefer?

What month do you think you will be through Lima? DO NOT come down the PANAM! The interior of the country is much cheaper, beautiful, solitary, and friendly. I haven't met a bad cop away from the coast yet! But out on the coast there are MANY! Others will confirm this!

Come down the center of Ecuador from Quito into Peru and all the way to Huanuco (where I live). Wife Sara and I have an extra bedroom and will be glad to put you up. From there it is a 7 hr ride down to Lima....

Then after the bike work, zip south down the coast 161 km, and turn up the Yayos valley to Huancayo and go from there to Cuzco. You will miss Nazca, but honestly it is not much and fighting the crazy trucks and buses on the coast is NOT worth it!

Cheers! Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #1527
ozrockrat
Ozrockrat

Oddometer: 388
Shamrock!!!!

"So this is the start of our new approach to seeing the places on our RTW trip whereby we bunk down at a central location, ditch both panniers and box and ride day rides out with just our wolfman soft bag for our wet gear and some water."

We call this "Shamrock Touring". Ride in settle down do a few clover leafs and then head to the next place. Great way to travel.
ozrockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #1528
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by marior97 View Post

Great meeting Andi an Ellen

Ride safe amigos
Great meeting you too Mario, you made our El Salvador experience superb.

We have safely made it into Nicaragua unscathed through Honduras, we expected the worst and were delivered something substantially better.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #1529
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleDave View Post
Subscribed.....better late than never!
Heya throttle Dave, never too late mate, we have a long way to go so hopefully we will keep you entertained and thanks for coming along with us.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #1530
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Good to see you had such a great time with Salvadors finest
Ride safe !
Gracia Amigo, thanks for all your help and comrades manship, your almost understanding when I was down

Seriously appreciated it and yes we had a great to with El Salvadors finest, Mario is a gentleman and half.