User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #1726
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,572
Los Nevados National Park

Max from Oz set off south and we headed for the volcan, this was a high point of our trip as we reached 4120 meters above stress level, unfortunately mum nature was not playing well with us this day and it was raining, misty and very cold, that is the way the cookie crumbles.

Stopping at the park entry it was closed anyway so double whammy no way to see anything today, we turned Maya around while I was sitting on her, suddenly the ground was far from my feet, suddenly Maya made friends with the ground throwing Ellen to the ground and me doing a freestyle version of river dance.

The top road while misty and raining still provided some cool backdrops and waterfalls

Pea soup

It would seem there are a few waterfalls along here, this is where the township of 25000 people (including the people) got wiped out from the volcano so we are going to explore that later.

We took another road down to Manizale which provided a bit of entertainment.

Next morning we had organised a couchsurf with a local rider, we thought he was on a DR250 and he thought we were on two DR650s, much to his surprise we found Maya and much to our surprise he turned up on a KTM 200 so orange was the flavour of the day, we went for a local ride ...those wee 2 hundys are great in the twisties .

....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #1727
moto74
Displaced

Oddometer: 152
That was a great shout you gave for the R2R boys - sounds like they are a dealer with mucho integrity. Nice to see and good on them
moto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #1728
TwoUpTourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Hi Andi
A while ago I plagiarized a design off the net for a bead breaker, that works a treat on my BMW F650GS, but my mate has a KTM 950SE, and he said it would not make the tyre budge an inch off the rim, instead just pushing the side wall in to the point he thinks it might punch a hole through. So how do you get yours off when you get a flat?
This is mine:-

cheers
John
TwoUpTourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #1729
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsrover View Post
That was a great shout you gave for the R2R boys - sounds like they are a dealer with mucho integrity. Nice to see and good on them
Yes they are very good across the board, we can only hope to get a dealership like this at home, I could even be inspired and enthused to buy an 1190r
Old 09-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #1730
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoUpTourer View Post
Hi Andi
A while ago I plagiarized a design off the net for a bead breaker, that works a treat on my BMW F650GS, but my mate has a KTM 950SE, and he said it would not make the tyre budge an inch off the rim, instead just pushing the side wall in to the point he thinks it might punch a hole through. So how do you get yours off when you get a flat?

John
Heya John, I just used tyre levers in Phoenix to change the D908 to Heidenau but since then we have not had a flat.

I am scared now ......changing dead Heidenau in two weeks in Bogota so will let you know then as we only have shorty levers.

Cheers Andi
Old 09-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #1731
kuntor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
hola a los 2

Hello, first of all I must clarify that as my English is pesimo first write in the google translator and then transcribe here.

My name is Osvaldo, I've been reading the report from the beginning, I'm from Argentina and I can help is welcome.

regards
OLVIDADO, un alma que perdona.
DESTRUIDO, un corazon que llora
kuntor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #1732
Kiwi Dave
Beemer Boy

Oddometer: 119
Hedenau tire change.

Hi Andi and Ellen,
Hope all is going well. Whenever I'm in Wanaka your names come up in conversations.
Just the other day I changed out both the front and rear Hedenau K60 Scout's. It was a challenge getting the rear tires bead to break off the rim. As I was at home and had plenty of tools at my disposal I used the ole' "long handle lever and block of wood" technique. One end of the lever is placed under the rear bumper of my ute and the block of wood is stood up on the bead of the tire. With enough pleasure the bead peels off the rim easily. It still took a bit of weight on the back end of that lever and heck of a lot of bouncing to get the bloody bead off. After that it was a standard tire change. If I had had to try this road side with my tire levers alone I would have seriously struggled. I could have done it but I would have bloody knuckles as a result.
Anyway a fresh set of TKC's are on the F800 now. Just it time for Spring fun!!
Travel On !! Looking forward to Dakar 2014. See you there. Dc
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #1733
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntor View Post
Hello, first of all I must clarify that as my English is pesimo first write in the google translator and then transcribe here.

My name is Osvaldo, I've been reading the report from the beginning, I'm from Argentina and I can help is welcome.

regards
Greetings Osvaldo, my spanish is not great but getting better.

We would love to meet you in Argentina would be great, we will be there into next year but we have a list of contacts so will add you to that.

Really looking forward to Argentina

Buenas tarde Osvaldo, mi español no es muy grande, pero está mejorando.

Nos encantaría conocerte en Argentina sería genial, vamos a estar ahí hasta el próximo año, pero tenemos una lista de contactos para que le añada a eso.

Estamos ansiosos por Argentina

gracias al traductor Google
Old 09-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #1734
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Dave View Post
Hi Andi and Ellen,
Hope all is going well. Whenever I'm in Wanaka your names come up in conversations.
Just the other day I changed out both the front and rear Hedenau K60 Scout's. It was a challenge getting the rear tires bead to break off the rim. As I was at home and had plenty of tools at my disposal I used the ole' "long handle lever and block of wood" technique. One end of the lever is placed under the rear bumper of my ute and the block of wood is stood up on the bead of the tire. With enough pleasure the bead peels off the rim easily. It still took a bit of weight on the back end of that lever and heck of a lot of bouncing to get the bloody bead off. After that it was a standard tire change. If I had had to try this road side with my tire levers alone I would have seriously struggled. I could have done it but I would have bloody knuckles as a result.
Anyway a fresh set of TKC's are on the F800 now. Just it time for Spring fun!!
Travel On !! Looking forward to Dakar 2014. See you there. Dc
Heya Dave, great to hear from you mate, we are removing a heidy next week in Bogota ... well at least the shop is although I am keen to crack the bead myself as we would have to do that on the side of the road.

Looking forward to catching up man, we are in Colombia now, next Ecuador then Peru and into Bolivia, hopefully we have enough time, if not we will just go back into Peru.

How long are you guys gonna be over here and what are your plans, if you need any help on where to go etc we have shitloads of information. Are you planning camping or hotels?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #1735
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Manizales To Salamina, Town And Around

With only a short ride of 78 km it was a lazy start, the road in good condition all the way...for a change....and it was actually there which was a pleasant surprise

Getting sorted with accom we took Maya to the parking spot cos there was nothing at the hotel but hotel and moto park combined was $13 so not too spendie

Finding the disappearing road day was the mission for the next day, a 168km shingle road blast at around 3000 meters, my riding skills were put to test yet again with were clay, mud and moss.

Poor ol Maya got a beating suffering a smack in the bashplate and ding in the front head pipe, while trying to take some pics I climbed off the right hand side and accidentally took her with me ..... she dropped onto an ill placed rock, nevermind shit happens.

Ooooops

Turns out it wasn't my fault (a good rider always blames his bike ) as the creek was soft, look mum no stand

950 excavator making easy work of it

We got to within 11km of our road to discover we are correct and it simply does not exist despite being shown on all our maps and GPS.

This was where the road ended ... literally a you drop off the edge so I had a chat with Mary and as you can see by her body language she said quite clearly your maps and GPS are wrong .... woman they just don't understand

This was typical of the road conditions

Turning back we headed to Marulanda for lunch, only thing we could get is sweet bread so that was it as well as coffee which was excellent then home james to beat the incoming rain storm, well as luck would have it we followed the rain storm for 20 km and riding into San Felix it dumped in front of us leaving us alone and with only wet roads, the storm turned right and we turned left, perfect.

The rest of the road by this time had all but dried so our return was much swifter, our rear tyre with 19750 km on it not holding on that well and suffering some big cuts from sharp rocks.

Next day (we were only gonna stay on night) we decided to have a rest day and catchup on ride reports etc, I also finished our camera mount and the fuel indicator tube on our CJ tank split and spewed fuel so I had to buy a new tube as well, just one of those fixit days.

Some amusement was had with me bein the only whiteyfoo in town some local kids befriended and it was 20 questions .. and some photos

This is what happens when there is white velcro to touch and play with ...

This we found amusing, the Suzuki shop sells furniture ....seems they don't trust their bikes either

That my friends is what has been happening in motorcycle and travellers heaven.

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 05:07 PM
Old 09-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #1736
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
This we found amusing, the Suzuki shop sells furniture ....seems they don't trust their bikes either

Blasphemer!!!!!
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #1737
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,098
Quote:
We took another road down to Manizale which provided a bit of entertainment.

You guys had nice conditions. Cool that you took the back road down. It took me quite a while to find that road in town coming up from Manizales. Lots of trial and error, hand waving and Spanglish speaking. But it was totally worth it.

Spring 2011

The road from Nevados to Murillo is absolutely stunning when its not fogged in.

Looks like you guys are having a great time in Colombia. One of my favorite places to ride.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 06:36 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #1738
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
You guys had nice conditions on the back road from Manizales to Nevados.

Spring 2011

The road from Nevados to Murillo is absolutely stunning when its not fogged in.

Looks like you guys are having a great time in Colombia. One of my favorite places to ride.
Yeap heading from Manizales to Murillo in the next few day, round two.

I remember your photos, not much fun with house and contents
Old 09-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #1739
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,098
Quote:
Yeap heading from Manizales to Murillo in the next few day, round two.

I remember your photos, not much fun with house and contents
Yeah, I was 2 up that day as well. My passenger was completely soaked and muddy, but she was still smiling at the end of the day when we pulled into Murillo. There is one hotel in Murillo, the town that time forgot. Pulled in on the last day of Semana Santa to find literally everyone in town rip roaring piss drunk.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #1740
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDave View Post
Blasphemer!!!!!
...but funny ... I didn't check to see if they sell the DR60 seal retainers or not