Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #2401
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,830
great catching up with you andi and ellen.

been busy with the noobs rally, which is now behind us. rr in progress.

love you updates and pics. will be sticking around for sure.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:02 AM   #2402
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,359
Wicked Hi Andi and Ellen

Keep the stories and pics coming , good to hear other bikers and friends helping you out . Just in case im not home when you get here with my KTM dinner is on the bar in the shed with a bottle of good Pinot and the keys are in your Hog . I bought a new 19mm lens for my camera and it arrived today so had a play with it . Sid was here today , bone has slipped on titanium hip so hes a bit shorter on one side and suffering. They wanted to cut him up again but he said f#@k that. I think he might have to watch out next season . Hes talking of putting the OW motor in his Bimota while he rebuilds the OW . Ride safe . Cheers Toddy

Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #2403
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECOSO View Post
Where came all that snow?
Is that the Vergara crossborder?... when did it snow???

Enviado desde mi GT-I8190L mediante Tapatalk
Sorry for the late reply, been wifi skinny

Yeap Paso Vergara, it nearly caught us out

Cheers Andi
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #2404
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Good bloody thing you got new shoes on Maya the other day.
Heya Trane

Mate, really appreciated having new shoes and I am sure it helped save the day ...about 20 - 30- times!!
Old 04-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #2405
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvadorfrieri View Post
I knew you'd like Chilean coffee!! But I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in you. I could've gotten to Buenos Aires on that rear Heidi.
Chilean coffee ..... yeah

I know that having cords hanging out is not a reasonable excuse, I feel in my old age I am getting soft.

The one we took off at your place was 21400 this one did 22066 so getting better

Love to Paula bro, catch up again
Old 04-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #2406
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
great catching up with you andi and ellen.

been busy with the noobs rally, which is now behind us. rr in progress.

love you updates and pics. will be sticking around for sure.
Heya Joel

Thanks man, sounds like you have been busy with it too which is cool.

More updates today after a wifi dry patch

Cheers Andi
Old 04-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #2407
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2 View Post
Keep the stories and pics coming , good to hear other bikers and friends helping you out . Just in case im not home when you get here with my KTM dinner is on the bar in the shed with a bottle of good Pinot and the keys are in your Hog . I bought a new 19mm lens for my camera and it arrived today so had a play with it . Sid was here today , bone has slipped on titanium hip so hes a bit shorter on one side and suffering. They wanted to cut him up again but he said f#@k that. I think he might have to watch out next season . Hes talking of putting the OW motor in his Bimota while he rebuilds the OW . Ride safe . Cheers Toddy
Heya Toddy

Great to hear from you mate, usual good hearted Kiwi spirits

Bumma bout Sid, they obviously can't (re)fix it easily?

Did the 19 mm lens do what you wanted it to do?

In San Rafael, be away in a coupla days .

Cheers Andi
Old 04-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #2408
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Santiago To Malarque To San Rafael

Having got our big service and things sorted we left Santiago, with good advice from some fellow riders we avoided the main drag.

Leo had suggested a route through Paso Vergara then turning left over a shortcut pass.

The first part of the ride we railed down the main road turning off into shingle towards the border, this is a mining road so pretty good nic allowing good speeds.

Reaching the Chilean border we clocked out per usual, with the weather looking unusual and the wind picking up we rode the 17 km to the Argentine border only to have the beady eyed customs guy saying we did not have the paperwork we needed??? WTF????

The Chilean guys had taken our paperwork so we were told we had to go back to the Chilean post to get the correct papers, I was unhappy as it was full of sandpits and the wind was horrific making riding bloody hard, the wind was ripping up sandstorms and twisters with speeds that were fast enough to pick up stones and throw them at us bouncing off us and Maya.

Making it back to the border and chatting with them they said no we do not need the paperwork and the Argies were wrong, to be fair I was starting to get agitated, in the end they gave us a photocopy and wrote to the Argies saying they don’t need it but here it is with our stamp.

That night we stayed at the border in the bottom building which was droughty and cold ...but dry.

As the evening progressed the weather tipped with very heavy rain, as the rain slowed down ... the snow settled in .... ouwh no.

We listened on wondering if the road was going to be washed away or passable, the temperature dropped like a stone testing our sleeping bags...which passed the test.

As morning appeared it was clear that the weather storm had created a few issues for us.

The pass up and over to Argentina was looking ominous with smatterings of snow which were slowly getting thicker and more drifts.

It wasn’t long and my riding ability was being tested with 100 - 300 mm snow on the racetrack, being we were climbing the pass it was as slippery as an eel and very hard work.

We ended up cleaning off nearly two km of road down to dirt to gain traction, I did try and play the snow off but the snow won .....Maya tumbling to the floor and me “I spray the snow with heidenau and walk away”

Yes this is the moment of the get off, I just wanted to check the snow on the left

House and some contents off to reduce the top weight we picked her up.

The method was to clear the rest of the road at least where the steeper parts were then ride the middle in the fresh snow as the traction was good there.

The top nearly in sight

It was easy sailing with fresh snow and almost flat

Cresting the pass was good however we had 2 - 3 km along the top before heading down .....this is where we got stuck in a 300 mm deep section about 100 meters long and slowly but surely we ran out of traction and we started to head up the last dreaded section.

We had almost decided to turn back when a Landy Discovery turned up and said we had clobbered the worst and there was less.

The road started improving which was a godsend

Although the raod was still 200 - 300 mm deep in places without vehicle tracks etc it was easy enough to get through

Managing to wrestle Maya to the crest we decided to take there good advice and continue on into Argentina making it to the border building again less than impressed with them... they knew this and were being a little less obnoxious, for me it was a lesson in anger management as I was want to smack the beady eyed idiot however I wanted more our paperwork so we could continue.

Finally getting our entry stamps and the piece of paper was still useless to them (and they knew it but sensed I was NOT riding back again) they let us pass, turns out the aduana is not there so it would have made no difference if we had ignored them and carried on.

In order to calm nerves Ellen fed me to keep me “out of their way”, lunch over we carried on playing bulldozer, at one point the drifts were half way up my my boots on the footpegs, we bashed through them one by one with Maya getting in at pace and chugging out the other side.... so much for less snow however to be fair the guys in the Discovery had stayed at the thermals so did not know the snow depth where we were heading.

Eventually we made it out of the snow laden ground, our new found challenge was the sodden clay from snow melt which saw some scary tank slapper moments and us weaving across the track.

Finally we got down onto dry ground and corrugations ( I will never whine about corrugations again) which made life easy other than the usual teeth chattering but not from freezing conditions or snow this time.

All bar one bad sandpit with wind it was nearly plain sailing

The valley down was a cruze to the aduana with some stock moving moments, the aduana normal and friendly, TVIP and stamps we set off to Malarque, the road getting better and better turning to tar ... almost felt like cheating!!!!

Arriving in Malarque we found a hostel with a bed, pillows and hot shower..... very nice I have to say.

With a good kitchen we knocked up a good feed and quit the night early.

After a big sleep we wondered off to destination Finca Rita, John and Annettes in San Rafael.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #2409
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 884
Fantastic bit of road work. turn back? bugger that mate!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #2410
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,813
Andi & Ellen
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #2411
CHECOSO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
You are crazy, that road (paso Vergara) is difficult without any rain or even snow!!!...

Congrats! (We say here "manejaste a puro corazon!" I don't know the real translate but may be it can be something like "you ride only with your heart"

Regards!

(enviado con tapatalk)
CHECOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #2412
Balanda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
True Grit

Man, you guys seem to have endless reserves of energy and determination to keep driving forward against all adversity, and yet, you find always come up smiling. Truly inspirational !!
Balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #2413
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 401
Nice work Andi and Ellen! That was one hell of a ride. Sorry you had to go through it all. No injuries so thats good. It was really nice meeting you both through Jaime, great company for a few days. Have a safe trip. Geoff.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:37 AM   #2414
Turtle
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECOSO View Post
We say here "manejaste a puro corazon!" I don't know the real translate but may be it can be something like "you ride only with your heart"
In New Zealand we just say the man has big man plums and give him a beer.

Cheers to you both, you are born travellers.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:33 AM   #2415
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Nice work on the Vergrara
And great pics !!