Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #2581
cold comfort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Sorry to hear of more losses. Hopefully that's it for a while. Lost a few of various ages ourselves this year too. All the more reason to make it count -like you guys are doing. :-)

cold comfort screwed with this post 06-06-2014 at 08:46 PM
cold comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #2582
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
a fello RTW traveller's brother died in UK

Hey man. Sara wrote about Steve needing our help. He should arive in Bogotá tomorrow (saturday). His bed is set waiting for him and we've arranged parking for his bike while he goes to the UK for a week. I've already spoken with Girag and Lin Cargo who will ship his bike to Panama once he returns.

Very sad to hear about all the bad news... Pao sends her best to you and Ellen!
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #2583
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Andi and Ellen:
Wow! Nothing like piling troubles on top of your problems. I know you two are solid people and will steadily work your way through. Very sorry to hear about your lost loved ones. Remember them well.
Regards....justjeff
Heya Jeff, yeah ups and downs for sure and that is part or life, 20 degrees still and sunny everyday would not be much to write about although the death bits can be done without.

All good, going forward
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #2584
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
Sorry to hear of more losses. Hopefully that's it for a while. Lost a few of various ages ourselves this year too. All the more reason to make it count -like you guys are doing. :-)
Nothing like getting them all over and done with!!...at least we hope so

Yeah as life moves on the odds of passing people becomes higher and with age too, not to mention us stuntmen riding motos for fun increases chances of incidents .....but never live in a cotton wool buffer "just in case" in my opinion so yes make every day count
Old 06-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #2585
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvadorfrieri View Post
Hey man. Sara wrote about Steve needing our help. He should arive in Bogotá tomorrow (saturday). His bed is set waiting for him and we've arranged parking for his bike while he goes to the UK for a week. I've already spoken with Girag and Lin Cargo who will ship his bike to Panama once he returns.

Very sad to hear about all the bad news... Pao sends her best to you and Ellen!
Heya Salvi

Great news mate, we had some email exchanges with Steve and was waiting to see what he wanted to do, sounds like the ADV tree is working extremely well

Wish Steve well and give him a big man hug from me, Pau can give him a kiss from Ellen (figured you wouldn't want to )

Steve is a great guy and full of beans, you will enjoy his company and he rides a nice bike.... although he is slowly wrecking it

We really feel for Steve, this sorta shit going down is not what you want/need when away from home, this week seems to have been the week of it!!

So cool you guys taking him in and sorting him out, your blood is worth bottling!!

Love to you both

Andi & Ellen
Old 06-08-2014, 04:01 AM   #2586
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Great to catch up on the thread. Been busy of late, so I haven't checked in since mid-May. Great photos and all that, but sorry to see the mates checking out. Not my favourite fact of life, that.

Oh, and a belated Hippie Bird Day to Ellen.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #2587
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Andi and Ellen, we are taking care of your long range motorcycle rider. Steve's Daisy is now under my roof and the guy was well fed, as we had a nice dinner last night, and he's probably now flying to the UK.

I did not understand a word of what he said. That Scottish accent kills me. That is not big deal, because I did not understand a word of what you say either, that NZ accent kills me also, so I guess is just me.

Keep the fun.

Saludos.

Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
Broadcasting from Bogotá - Colombia.
Juan Valderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #2588
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Thank you so much Juan for helping our friend. Yes, Steve is a bit hard for me to understand too. Next time, you just speak to me instead to Andi, or you have an option for me to translate his English into real English.

Cheers
Ellen
Old 06-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #2589
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Great to catch up on the thread. Been busy of late, so I haven't checked in since mid-May. Great photos and all that, but sorry to see the mates checking out. Not my favourite fact of life, that.

Oh, and a belated Hippie Bird Day to Ellen.
Heya Trane

Good to hear from you mate, yeah was a rough coupla weeks there ... was wondering when it would end.

Thanks for Ellens BD wishes
Old 06-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #2590
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valderrama View Post
Andi and Ellen, we are taking care of your long range motorcycle rider. Steve's Daisy is now under my roof and the guy was well fed, as we had a nice dinner last night, and he's probably now flying to the UK.

I did not understand a word of what he said. That Scottish accent kills me. That is not big deal, because I did not understand a word of what you say either, that NZ accent kills me also, so I guess is just me.

Keep the fun.

Saludos.

Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
Broadcasting from Bogotá - Colombia.
Heya Juan

Great work looking after Stevie the Tiger, thanks man on behalf on a travel brother!

Yes Steve talks Scinglish ... but he s easy to understand ... for me

So you need a lesson in Kiwinglish , mate give us a year to get home and our casa is your casa, you would be welcome.

BTW ... Spanish is still getting me ... they talk faster and faster down here
Old 06-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #2591
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Uyuni To Potosi And The Mine

Finishing at Uyuni having seen the salar and camped out we headed away with a completed task.

The road handed to us a stark contrast to the incoming, we had beautiful flat smooth tarseal all the way, not a bad change after clobbering sandpits and corrugations.

Given we had no rush we decided to kick around for a couple of days in Potosi, it seemed like a nice place and it was.

Finding a hostel was easy, within ten minutes we had an ok place that was quiet and moto parking, no wifi but plenty in town, we feel we are getting a bit boring now with no Police required to calm down unusual owners. .. hard to find a good pub scrap these days

Finding the local market allowed us to home cook again, it would be cheaper just to eat out but we find it better to eat in as you have control over our intake and get what we want.

Typical town with small streets

Potosi is a nice place, slightly touristy but has good services, the main attraction of course being the mine and yes you can buy dynamite off the shelf to take home and blow shit up with, for me I resisted as me and dynamite could end up doing damage .. particularly useful if we headed back to the “ex” hotel in Uyuni.

Upshot is we resisted and simply took the mine tour which was excellent and to be fair very hard work just climbing around in there let alone working 12 hours per day.

All the crash gear

Me set up, the truck to the left was the only vehicle they would let me drive

Even for short people it gets tight

Each miner can find his own silver seam, if the seam turns out to be a dud then that is the way it is, if it turns out to be a boomer he turns up in a Hummer.

This guys working space, step, tight and loose

The conditions these guys work in is unreal and bloody hard to any standard, there are many deaths ever year for experienced miners falling down shafts and having rock falls come down on them.

And yes some had secretary's too

Getting tighter

....and tighter, too much lunch and you will not fit!!!

Back out to daylight and the mine entrance

Back into Potosi centro we took a look around, we found this amusing, she was fast asleep against the pole with cars roaring past her only a meter away....I guess when ya gotta sleep ya gotta sleep.

We also celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary there, a Canadian family staying at our hotsel made a curry for us and we joined in for a good feast, TMK providing the all important Bacardi Mojeto grog to soften the night .... good times.

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 06-13-2014 at 12:19 PM
Old 06-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #2592
Digitdion
KTM Lover

Oddometer: 73
Saw your sticker on the door at Oliver's in Cachi

Hi Andi and Ellen. I have been following your post for along time now. The wife and I come from Queenstown. I so wanted to bring a bike to South America but decided to bring backpacks instead. We are in Cachi, and whilst having a few watching the Dutch thrash Spain I saw your sticker on the door. We are heading north. Maybe our paths will cross. Will be great to have a beer or wine with you both and talk shit
Cheers
Dion and Lou
Digitdion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #2593
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitdion View Post
Hi Andi and Ellen. I have been following your post for along time now. The wife and I come from Queenstown. I so wanted to bring a bike to South America but decided to bring backpacks instead. We are in Cachi, and whilst having a few watching the Dutch thrash Spain I saw your sticker on the door. We are heading north. Maybe our paths will cross. Will be great to have a beer or wine with you both and talk shit
Cheers
Dion and Lou
Heya Dion & Lou

Great to hear from you, yes poor ol Spain got second place with a bang, we are in Sucre toady and maybe heading away tomorrow toward Samiaparta.

Are you guys coming up to Bolivia?, if so it would be right cool to meet up, our tentative direction is Samiaparta, Cochobamba then up to the death road then north again and up into Brazil.

Let us know your plans either here or at twomotokiwis at g mail dot com

Cheers Andi & Ellen
Old 06-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #2594
Digitdion
KTM Lover

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Heya Dion & Lou

Great to hear from you, yes poor ol Spain got second place with a bang, we are in Sucre toady and maybe heading away tomorrow toward Samiaparta.

Are you guys coming up to Bolivia?, if so it would be right cool to meet up, our tentative direction is Samiaparta, Cochobamba then up to the death road then north again and up into Brazil.

Let us know your plans either here or at twomotokiwis at g mail dot com

Cheers Andi & Ellen
Yeah Gidday,
Hopefully our paths will cross. Be we are abit behind you. Tomorrow we head to San Pedro de Atacama. Hang out there for a bit, then the Bolivian Altiplano, potosi etc etc. no Brazil for us later up to Peru and equador. We have a bit of time as we fly out of Quito in November.
Hopefully we can catch up . Go well. I will keep an eye out for ya!
Cheers
Dion And Lou
Digitdion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #2595
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitdion View Post
Yeah Gidday,
Hopefully our paths will cross. Be we are abit behind you. Tomorrow we head to San Pedro de Atacama. Hang out there for a bit, then the Bolivian Altiplano, potosi etc etc. no Brazil for us later up to Peru and equador. We have a bit of time as we fly out of Quito in November.
Hopefully we can catch up . Go well. I will keep an eye out for ya!
Cheers
Dion And Lou
Heya Dion and Lou

Well the shit we are going through for a simple stator rewind we will be here till Christmas.

The "best guy" here rewound it wrong, had to unrewind it then rewind it with the correct wire, then he had to fix it because it didn't even work, today we refit the fixed version only to find it is only got less 1/3 power through one wire.

This has taken a week, he originally said 2 days max, most likely 1, they are fucking Neanderthals here and don't give a shit.

I am not far from losing my smile and politeness and going apeshit at him.