User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #286
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,152
Awesome

Fookin' awesome ride report. Curious how many mile you got out of the rear K60's. Currently running a set on my 950 Adv. Wifey and would love to be able to see some of those places you folks have been. Thanks for sharing pics. We're rasing our grandson right now, so hard telling when we'll be able to load the nine fiddy and go. It's really great seeing folks out there doing it.
Thank you
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #287
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Fookin' awesome ride report. Curious how many mile you got out of the rear K60's. Currently running a set on my 950 Adv. Wifey and would love to be able to see some of those places you folks have been. Thanks for sharing pics. We're rasing our grandson right now, so hard telling when we'll be able to load the nine fiddy and go. It's really great seeing folks out there doing it.
Thank you
Heya mate, cheers for the props, the K60 rear I got 12200 miles out of, it is a 140/80-17 so has the centre wear bar, it could have done another 400 - 500 if i needed it to but we were in a convenience place and time to change it.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #288
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Yosemite National Park

This post is more about the pics as I simply can't explain it so I will let the "picture is worth a thousands words" take over, enjoy.

After Shann and Greg left us homeless in a strange land we were lucky to score the camp site at Camp 4 the climbers camp, see the FULL signs!.

And the bear aware pics

The first thing that caught my eye was the accessible parking sign which was over the OTHER side of the wall ...... WTF ...are they meant to park on the cliff side??? ... they should change the sign to inaccessible.

We found ourself surrounded by young fellas and fellesses .... all the fellas had 6 packs!!!! ... bugga me I felt like a monster and from an old peoples home... perfect we love hanging with younger people.

After setting up we headed off to Glacier lookout, whoa ... top of the world views second to none, looking over the edge was spooky for me but I made the most of scaring myself which was plenty enough for my daily quota of scaring myself daily so I know I am alive.

Half dome was standing out with grandeur amongst his shorter counterparts and with the evening sun pasting the western faces it was a pretty cool sight to see.

Spot the people on the top

Yosemite Village below looked like a toy village and the cars like matchboxes, again looking out and down gave me the willies.

So we had some neighbours from England who were closer to our age and some young gun rock climbers, really neat taking to these guys from around the world, watched some vid of them falling of a cliff .....and larfing!!.

We gained some local knowledge on a walking track to the top of Yosemite Falls, a 2800ft climb ... perfect for us oldie non 6 packers.

Two climbing kiwis set off on a mission to conquer the mighty Yosemite falls, it started off as a zigzagathon, 60 actually!! then leveling out for a while before the final assault up the gully part 2 zigzagathon.

The views were getting more and more stunning and breath taking (maybe the breathtaking bit was cos we are unfit), although the falls were not falling the abrupt rock faces and majestic surfaces of granite slowly changing colour as the day progressed added up to a walk that would make you stand there in silence and in awe.... so we did that.

Ya just can't help yaself from looking!

Nearly there

Upon reaching the top I was scared, overwhelmed, had vertigo BIG time and totally gob smacked .. so a normal day.

Chance to take off the smelly socks in the sun ..... so nice!

Big views

Other way

Some strange trees

Really neat tree right near the face

What can I say but make the effort to go if you can, you will not be let down, it proved hard on my knobbly knees from previous injuries but worth every bit of discomfort.

Al Capitan was calling us so we climbed aboard the free shuttle bus to have a look at this incredible rock face, 5 climbers had just started an ascent earlier in the day so we we treated to a level of climbing we had only ever seen at the Wanaka Film Fest.

I am not sure how to explain my feelings seeing them hanging on a rope other than fear, thrill, excitement, awe, crazy, etc ..... be fare to say it is not my game.

See the tree, to the left is where they are.

See the zoom up

See the close up.

That night was quiet in the camp as the climbers returned very tired (and us) so sleeping was easy as no parties were on, the moon was out, again I will let the pics do the talking.

The following morning we packed up and headed out of the park to Lake Tahoe.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #289
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,152
Good Tucker

If you should happen to pass through El Paso, Texas, there's a great little place to eat not far from the airport. It's called El Chapparal (?sp). I highly recommend the Gorditas. Be careful, lots of crime there.
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #290
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,454
Bloody awesome.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #291
JonS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Love those photos of the moon and Half Dome!
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #292
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Lake Tahoe

With the ride to Tahoe being uneventful it was relaxing and pretty with some of the passes already sporting autumn colours that were sneaking in quietly but noticeably.

Truckee was our next destination which was a house swap we did in NZ two years back so a time to catch up on some writing, the photo precessing and learning how to use imovie etc, unfortunately the place we were staying at had a hot tub, garage, great views and a soft bed with sheets ... and cups .... bit of a bugga but we got by.

First day we walked around town, did some food shopping and got a thermometer to replace the previous escapee in Fresno, what started as a quick walk to the shops turned into about a 12 km walk, nice to get the legs moving again after Yosemite but on the flats.

Some stuff in the shops (note Ellen time)

Rest the old bones

Our reward was a dunk in the hot tub to soak the bones .... l u v e l y !!!

Second day was a catch up and fix it day (again), Ellens Touratech cradle had been playing up so it was the trouble shooting day with upgrades on software from Garmin eliminating the problem, turns out the Garmin power cradle was the problem.

Also my AME grips are playing up, they cleverly turned themselves on in Fresno to full heat when it was 99 F so very unwelcomed as I struggled to hold the bars, I had to pull the power again on them so I would not rate these grips very highly at all giving this is already the second set.

Third day we took a day trip to Incline Village and Sand Harbour, we spotted some money into the local economy buying food etc, in exchange we had bean spotted beautiful weather with a nice ride, win win.

X marks the spot!!!

That evening was one of luxury again in the hot tub, this was turning out to be a hell of a treat.

Day four, we planned to do a biggish walk on the Pacific Crest trail however we got a little waylaid and ended up riding up Donner pass road from Donner Lake, again we were graced with great views, a groovy bridge and car that had a little damage, should buff out tho, I suspect not enough compression damping eh.

We rode around to the roads end and left Chiwi there, our feet took us for about a 4 mile walk around the lake, through the camp ground and back, we then returned to town to get some food.

Ellen decided to head off for a run into the forest and found a road that headed up to a lake and pass so that was on the agenda for the following day to look up there.

Did I mention the hot tub.

Day 5, video mounts had been bugging me so it was time to do something about it, off to ACE hardware for a skunk around, found some sprung loaded brackets which are perfect so it was all on to get these mounted.

On completion of getting the mounts done we we both piled back onto Ellens bike and rode through the forest block to Watson Lake, Brockway summit and Watson point to look over Lake Tahoe, spectacular views to say the least and a neat cruse through the forestry.

Cool track to get up there

Not sure why this sign said this but I obeyed anyway

Day 6, so it was time to leave and head off up to Reno to meet Scott and Joanne.

We cleaned up, packed up and shot off up highway 89 to meet up with Scott at Sierraville, Scott then took us on a roundabout ride to lookout points and forestry roads which was mint as without local knowledge we would not have seen any of this.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #293
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,679
uh oh...looks like someones vandalized that sign bro

Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #294
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,377
Wicked Hi there

Good 1 Andi and Ellen , im really enjoying the arm chair ride . Thought I had a house at Lu garte mate but after making offer 10k below what they were asking they decided not to sell , guess it wasnt ment to be so sighned up on a mint condo in Te Anau , plan is rent it out and hav another holiday . BTW the neighbours gave me 20k more 4 this place so it had to go. Take care there .
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #295
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Outstanding Toddy sounds like it is coming together well for you.

Sent you an e too.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #296
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
uh oh...looks like someones vandalized that sign bro
Yeah some bums there bro ... least I fit in now cos its is on the net
Old 10-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #297
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Reno

Scott and I talking at an icecream stop on the way to their home ..... nice

Scotts weapon the KTM 950 Super Enduro loaded with the right fruit

Arriving at Scott and Joannes around 5.45 pm just before dark we were greeted by Joanne and her sister Jan who had been on a marathon run ... sounds like fun!!!

Ellen knocked up some tea (Dinner) which was a Chinese stirfry mix which turned out to be a crowd pleaser, coupled with a few wines a good time was had by all.

Scott had Monday off work so invited to take us out on a local ride, Ellen said the boyz can go for a hoon (ride), Scott then said well take the 990 Adventure so I didn’t have to peel the cases off the DR (and I stand a chance of almost keeping up given he was taking his KTM 950 Super Enduro)

What was a man to do but accept this invitation and walk straight past the DR!!! .... so off we set.

Ouwh yeah

A rideby past our official photographer

Scott and I headed off off like two kids heading into a sandpit with powerful tonka toys, given it was a loaner and I was on unfamiliar roads I took it easy and I didn’t want to buy 3/4 of a second hand smashed 990 Adventure.

We swapped bikes during the day, at one stage I was doing 110 mph on the 950 SE, the Devil on my left shoulder blew the Angel off my right shoulder so it was game on, been a long time since I had power, brakes, handling and sound all working at once on the gravel. .... that thing is sic

Unfortunately I had to give it back but the 990 Adventure was certainly not the short straw either.

Following Scott on the road section

Me on the 990 Adv, I nearly split my helmet with the grin!!!

Just as well the ARAI is tough enough to hold my silly grin

A stop at an old burnt down house

Scott bein well mannered

We hightailed back averaging about 90 - 95 mph on the gravel roads, I felt like a Dakar racer and even once home and showered I was still fizzing at the most excellent hooligan days riding I have done since leaving home.

Thanks Scott you are a good bastid, great fun, a great rider, a great host and now a great mate, looking forward to catching you guys agin either here, NZ or on some dodgy trail.

That evening once life calmed down to normal we headed out for Tea (Dinner) and had the best steak that I have eaten again since we left home.

Root beer, steak, mash spud and beans .... I was a man content and from the KTM I was spent, be fair to say I might have enjoyed the day.

On the way home we stopped in at Freeze Yoghurt and had a dessert each, YUMMO ... musta been serious fattening cos it was beautiful.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #298
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Nevada Desert

Tuesday morning Scott and Joanne had to make sure the wheels of industry were turning while Ellen and I set off toward Crater Lake via some dodgy backroads Scott had directed us to, we started on part of the road from the day before so familiar territory then head up to Gerlach, then up via Vya then on towards Adel.

A stop along the way

A pond that was slightly green ... I am sure it was safe to drink

So you think in the desert there is not much to take photos of....

You are right .. to a point anyway

We were not going to make Adel as Ellen was spent and dropped the pace considerably which I recognised straight away so we started looking for camp at 4.30 pm.

We explored a few avenues off the road which were cow trails, I saw a hut with an access road so had a look up that to find a locked gate so I returned back to the road, we continued with options running low as the pace is covered is Sage bush and the wind was picking up.

We came upon the Antelope Sanctuary so we turned off up to that, we saw what looked to be a lookout type building so headed for that ... well we arrived there to find a cabin made of stone with windows and fireplace and bunks.... we couldn’t believe our luck.

Wine was in order as we watched the sun go down, we set up had Tea (Dinner) then I set too and wrote this report while listening to the wind whistle around the building, this was a nice feeling.

We had the whole place to ourselves and an amazing sunset with outstanding desert colours

So it s is 8.03 pm now on Tuesday night, it is pitch black outside, Ellen is in bed and the last of my wine has evaporated so time for the human battery recharge and have the wind sing us to sleep.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #299
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Nevada Desert To Crater Lake

Wednesday morning we woke to a slightly overcast sky, no sooner had started packing up and mum nature decided to turn it on for us, the lite cloud cleared away to a stunning clear sky with warmth as welcomed as a gravel road to an adventure rider.

The sky provided us with some neat colours again.

Interesting moss on a rock

The digs

Some unusual growths in front of the digs

Inside the digs ... check it out!!!

C o f f e e

We looked across the plato from chez Delis stone mansion and thanked the Adventure Motorcycling and camping gods for great digs and great riding and great place, I am not the religious type but someone/something needed to be thanked.

Upon packing up we headed north toward Adel, then left on highway 140 on black top through a twisty road to Lakeside, nearly lunchtime we decide to food up at Safeway and head across to Subway for lunch after.

Doing the tarseal cowboy bit

Lunch and food shopping done it was time to fill the machinery as well prior to making our way to Crater Lake, we past many small towns and within an uneventful ride we arrived at about 3.00pm at Crater Lake National Park, only one camp ground open now and it is $21.00 (with no BJ with that...fark).

No biggy given the last nights huge bonus so swings and roundabouts, the day was still stunning although cooling a lot quicker a lot earlier, the notice on Yogi Bears booth saying last night was 33 deg f (nearly zero for normal people).

Camp set up was in order and we decided to use the rest of the day with a short walk out of camp and loop back up, the creek at the bottom of the gully offered us beautiful spring colours which are filling our days more and more every day.

We found permanent frosting already on the track much to our surprise and a sure indication that winter is setting in fast.

Dodgy bridge

Stunning creek and colours

Most excellent autumn colours providing a surface that looked like a heavily decorated cake

A blue bird that neither of us can remember the name of ... it a bugga gettin old.

Tea (Dinner) was Macaroni cheese after cheese and crackers for the entree, Wallace and Grommitt woudla been at home here.

An earlier night with pitch black and low temperatures was had after our fire died down about 8.00pm.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #300
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 894
That looks like a Steller's Jay mate.....Steller ride by the way.