Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #376
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Sounds like a typical encounter with US govt bureaucrat. Logic is never the strong suit of these small minded, power obsessed petty
dictators. All in the name of a false terror threat. Total BS. I'm ashamed you had to go through it.

Regards your DR650:
Pretty normal for oil to come out of oil filter case cover. Not a huge amount, but a few ounces anyway. I'm not a fan of metal, re-usable oil filters, but I know some use them. I prefer paper, they filter better. If your metal filter is a K&N ... well another good reason to stick with paper. I don't trust K&N.

As far as the metal bits go, on a new bike that is fairly normal for the first 4000 miles or so. Good to do shorter interval oil changes first couple thousand miles. After that, many only change oil filters every other oil change. I do this when ever I ride in Mexico.

So, if you packed a few paper filters, that could get you pretty far down the road. I change oil every 3 to 4 thou miles on my DR. Highway riding in cool temps does not stress oil much, so at times you could push intervals a bit, IMO.

Filters:
You might try the Hi-Flo Filtro paper filters. Pro-Cycle sell a 10 pack for $34. I've used them for near 50,000 miles now. All good. Cheap insurance.

Try to use MADE IN USA or EU made oil when in Latin America. Hecho en Mexico oil, is, IMHO, suspect. ALL Mexican oil is Pemex (National Oil company) no matter what the label says. (Castrol, Chevron, Shell, Quaker State, Pennzoil ... it's ALL Pemex if it says Hecho en Mexico on the bottle).
Ever wonder why even NEW cars smoke in Mexico? Think about it.

You can find US made oil there and imported EU oil. $$ Expensive $$, but a sure thing. Up to you. Try Wall Mart, motorcycle or Marine shops. I use Mobil One synthetic.

My neighbor (motorcyclist) who worked for Chevron claims the Mexican companies are sold the right to use a US label, but the oil itself has NONE of the proprietary additive packages US companies add to their oil. It's all just Pemex oil ... and its crap. (IMHO)

Once out of Mexico, imported oil is more common. Costly but good oil. It's only about 16,000 miles to Tierra del Fuego, so not too many oil changes needed. Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #377
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
We turned up on their doorstep at 8.00am, they took my bike in and said they would drain the oil which they did, they removed the filter as well.

This is what came out, this is 10 miles worth, i.e. from dealer to Shanns then back to dealer.

They put new oil in and a Suzuki factory paper filter claiming my washable stainless filter was not good enough.

Their tech took it for a 6 mile ride, came back pulled the sump bung and filter, the filter was grey with an alloy/bronze look about it.

I could repost the picture above and it would be no different to that.

Their manager fello chimed in saying that something was definitely wrong (no shit) so they are pulling it apart again.

3rd gear still grizzles and the shit continues, I asked if they could get Suzuki to just replace the engine complete as they have spent more trying to fix it than the bike is worth, we have now been off the road with failures for more than 25% of our trip and it is costing us money and time now not to mention stress having to deal with immigration or more to the point irritation.

Now we play the waiting game again, another two weeks? who knows.

Can a shitty day get worse, yes is the answer to that with the destruction of my 1 month old G9 communication set.

I am about ready to pack it all in and go home. , I am out for a walk to consider my options now.
I hope things turn around for you folks, nobody should have to put up with all that crap on their vacation... This has gone well beyond the "adversity adds to the adventure" phrase... I hope your trip does not end so soon, but if you decide to pull the pin it is understandable...

I truly think you bought into a couple of lemons, a hasty full engine replacement would be minor compensation for all the problems you've put up with... Maybe try a KLR next time...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #378
Tracks1
Arctic Rider

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
They put new oil in and a Suzuki factory paper filter claiming my washable stainless filter was not good enough.
This is a true. For intermittent combustion (piston) engines they're quit porous if cleanable! ... Only the NON-CLEANABLE ones are of any use and I doubt anyone is willing to pay the high price to use in a moto.
Tracks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #379
cold comfort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Sounds like a typical encounter with US govt bureaucrat. Logic is never the strong suit of these small minded, power obsessed petty
dictators. All in the name of a false terror threat. Total BS. I'm ashamed you had to go through it.

Regards your DR650:
Pretty normal for oil to come out of oil filter case cover. Not a huge amount, but a few ounces anyway. I'm not a fan of metal, re-usable oil filters, but I know some use them. I prefer paper, they filter better. If your metal filter is a K&N ... well another good reason to stick with paper. I don't trust K&N.

As far as the metal bits go, on a new bike that is fairly normal for the first 4000 miles or so. Good to do shorter interval oil changes first couple thousand miles. After that, many only change oil filters every other oil change. I do this when ever I ride in Mexico.

So, if you packed a few paper filters, that could get you pretty far down the road. I change oil every 3 to 4 thou miles on my DR. Highway riding in cool temps does not stress oil much, so at times you could push intervals a bit, IMO.

Filters:
You might try the Hi-Flo Filtro paper filters. Pro-Cycle sell a 10 pack for $34. I've used them for near 50,000 miles now. All good. Cheap insurance. !
If you recall,my DR had an scary mix of ferrous and non ferrous sludge in the first oil change i did after the turkey who last owned it didn't. As you know i thrashed it mercilessly on and off road with no issues (apart from some odd noises). However your photo looks ghastly. Gutted for you guys as a serious lack of conscience/ integrity by Suzuki shown . (maybe a word to head office?). Thought of holing up somewhere cheap over the border until you get the scoots sorted? Couldn't blame you for pulling the plug though. If you are back in time for the DBK I could always wear a sombrero?
Not surprised by the attitude of officialdom. Just going through the airports in the US leaves a nasty taste. Bin Laden definitely achieved his goal there.

cold comfort screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 05:53 PM
cold comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #380
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
We turned up on their doorstep at 8.00am, they took my bike in and said they would drain the oil which they did, they removed the filter as well.

This is what came out, this is 10 miles worth, i.e. from dealer to Shanns then back to dealer.

Their tech took it for a 6 mile ride, came back pulled the sump bung and filter, the filter was grey with an alloy/bronze look about it.

I could repost the picture above and it would be no different to that.

Their manager fello chimed in saying that something was definitely wrong (no shit) so they are pulling it apart again.

3rd gear still grizzles and the shit continues, I asked if they could get Suzuki to just replace the engine complete as they have spent more trying to fix it than the bike is worth, we have now been off the road with failures for more than 25% of our trip and it is costing us money and time now not to mention stress having to deal with immigration or more to the point irritation.

Now we play the waiting game again, another two weeks? who knows.

Can a shitty day get worse, yes is the answer to that with the destruction of my 1 month old G9 communication set.

I am about ready to pack it all in and go home. , I am out for a walk to consider my options now.
Wow! Somehow when I posted my last post, I missed your post above. Holy Shite .. that is some nasty oil. Houston, we have a problem! I was way off, had no idea it was so serious. Something is chewing the thing to bits internally, I'd guess lots of damage. (obvious, right?)

Given the history with this bike ... it would be really good if someone at Suzuki would put you to the top of the list for special consideration. Maybe someone at the dealer can step up for you with the boys in Brea, CA ? (Suzuki US headquarters)

Suzuki don't sell a whole motor ... just parts. The problem with that is very few of their techs have the true skill to 100% rebuild a motor from the ground up ... so its likely things will be missed and down the road you could have more problems.

A new bike is what should be provided you. NEW. Try to call Brea, maybe get a supervisor with a sympathetic ear? You are only a day away from every DR part Suzuki have ... most all are in warehouses in Brea.
If not, then it has to come from Japan. Two weeks.

Someone suggested going down into Mexico to chill until bikes are ready.
Not a bad idea as long as you can go back into US to pick up bike. Cheaper lodging if you look around ... and bargain for weekly rate.

All the best, hope things turn good soon.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #381
betitolara
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 783
mejor suerte

E&A,

What a nightmare the DR`s saga has become. I hope Suzuki offers an acceptable solution ASAP.

Pulling the plug? only if all other 'reasonable' alternatives are exhausted IMHO. Hope to see you guys rolling soon because the best is yet to come further south.

Everyone in the family up here are pulling for you guys!
Buena suerte!

A.
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #382
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Yeah, Im pretty much done with Suzuki. When my motor goes, Im going to just get rid of the bike and get something else. I understand the odds are great that my bike will never experience this issue, but the principle of the fact that Suzuki simply hasnt done anything to rectify the lost time and problems youve had proves they dont give a fuck about your vacation- they got your money and now youre on your own- that principle is what causes me to be displeased with my own choice to have a DR. Think ill sell my Bandit too and move on to anything but Suzuki.

I really hope you get something worked out and soon, but surely you wont be able to ever get back all the time youve lost.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #383
Kennif
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Kia ora Andi & Ellen
It's a bugger but it will get better. All respect to you both for the way you are feeling now. But dig deep, love each other and hang in there. You have lots of good friends who are riding this ride with you and all their combined wills and enthusiasms are with you.
Lots of warm hugs and good thoughts from us.
Ken and Shirley.
Kennif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #384
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,668
Hi guys

The dealership rang and said it was ready.... this seemed unusual to me given what we had seen.

They had 5 of them looking at it and trying to sort it out, the tech who did it returned and told them what he had done.

We arrive at the dealership, the service manager took us out the back and explained that they had used Belray grease on the shift lever and gears.

He mixed up some oil and some Belray grease and made it look very similar to the mix in the pan, the tech must have used half a tube of grease as three oil changes later it still looks the same, they asure me it is fine.

The good news is that seems to be the oil/metal problem, the bad news is 3rd gear still screams unnaturally loud but they say it is fine, they did replace the 4 bearings as they were quote gritty, circlips, seals, gaskets etc and the piston rings.

I am hopeful this is the last time the bike is in the shop for repairs, I don't mind bits and pieces but engines out are BANNED.

Up till today Suzuki have spent is excess of the value of the bike just in the motor and kept us off the road for more than 25% of our trip so far.

I still have my reliable DR650 at home which we built our adventure on, will I buy another Suzuki ,well I wanted to buy a DRZ 400 when I return home, I think this will change.

I had my KTM990 which was flawless so I think I will stick with orange.

On our TMK site I have called them Weapons Of Choice, at the moment I would change that to The Pieces Of Shit We Ended Up With, as you can tell I am angry at Suzuki for letting this unfold ridiculously long and it would seem this current round was the result of Lelands misfitting parts.

Anyway, on a positive note we are on our way tomorrow morning, we have reference stuff from Clawson Suzuki showing dates etc so Immigration/Irritation, homeland sec, consulates etc can deal with it as we have gone out of our way to make it right with no help from any departments and if they are still upset with us well there are plenty of other places to ride the world who will want our contribution to their economy.

I will say thank you to Josh from Clawsons, he has pulled the blocks to make it happen as best he can given the time frame, the seem to be te only good guys we have dealt with.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #385
flying kiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hey you two, here is hoping like hell your bikes are good for the south. Stay positive, and (hopefully) all will be well. Now, about your take on BMW 800's...
2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 116,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy
flying kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #386
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Lodi and Sacramento

We are running into some bad lucks today, broken G9, bike was back to the dealer ship, but as Andi always says : No one died. We just have to harden the F up, and carry on living.

We were so focused on the bike, haven’t had a chance to thank Doug and Janet from Lodi who took care of us for the last few days. and I know Andi would not have time to check my grammar and spellings today, so please put up with some Chiwi English. Thank you Doug and Janet on behalf of Two Moto Kiwis.

While Hobbit was in Clawson waiting for the parts for the third gear, we received a PM from a fellow ADVer, he wrote: “See you are in Fresno with bike issues.I am 2 hours north in Lodi. Not sure what direction you are headed next but spare room available and willing to assist any way I can.”

This is our wonderful host Doug - Photoed by Dan

We replied him and told him our situation, then he wrote back: “ I offer a couple ideas.
1, I have an 08 DR650 I can loan you, happy to deliver it to Fresno , then you can ride where you want; I can come get you (and the OK bike) and bring you here, then you can borrow my GMC Yukon or the DR650 and go where ever you like. Happy to deliver you back to Fresno when your bike is ready. I'm only a phone call away.” What a nice man.

We jumped on Chiwi (she has been reliable) come down to Lodi to meet Doug. Boy he took us under his wings and make us feel welcome.

The next day, Doug and Janet took us for a tiki tour around his district. There are a few wineries (can’t you believe it?) around that area, with the local knowledge, we went to Ironstone Vineyard which holds the biggest natural Gold nugget in the North America.

The big gold

The Vineyard

We even made the effort to the town called Murphys to whisper him make our trip uneventful in the further, it didn’t seem to work, however, a walk around town and a good dose of ice cream was really nice.

Downtown at Murphys, remind us Arrow Town at home

Ice Cream for girls

Sushi for dinner again, hope Andi isn't sick of it

The day after, we decided just kicking around at his home and relax a bit after visited an other two local vineyards again. Doug’s friend Dan with his third generation Chinese wife Chris turned up. Here we are, me, can’t speak Cantonese, her, can’t speak Mandarin, two Chinese woman talk in English. They are very nice couple, offered to meet us for lunch in Sacramento next day.

More wine testing

Posh place

Party time again

In the afternoon, Doug’s another Dan friend brought another guest - Trevor who we met on the Horizon Unlimited Meeting in Cambria. He is riding a Yamaha Tenere to South America too. We all sit down had a drink and as we do then off to the local pub “Waterloo Saloon” for a good feed of pork ribs.

International traveller's gathering again

Doug took us (me, Andi and Trevor) to Sacramento on Monday. We meet Dan and Chris at a Chinese Supermarket for a roast duck lunch - plus some other goodies. Then we went to immigration to get Andi fired up. (read the B2 Visa saga, you will understand)

Bugger me, three "white boys" using chopsticks better than most of Chinese

After Andi calmed down, we went to Sacramento old town. It was a neat place, lots of gift shop, bar and restaurants. Doug took us a long way round back to Lodi, on the way back, we stopped at a little Chinese town called Locke. Funny they said this is China Town, didn’t see any Chinese except me.

I like this office better

Can you tell me when our bikes are trouble free?

Sacramento Old Town

China Town again

Does it make me look like a Chinese?

Back to home was dark. Trevor has to change oil for his Tenere, he will be on his way to yosemite and we will be back to Fresno. Doug, is waiting for a German ADVer who had a broke down in Death Vally, come and pick up Doug’s DR650 to ride the Big Sir...

Boys with toys

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 11:16 PM Reason: spelling
Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 PM   #387
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Bummed that you guys are having such a bad run with you DR,s. Hate to rub salt into a wound but ours ran like a Swiis watch the whole time. (Its on its way home now) I had been thinking of taking my bits off mine and selling it and buying a new one, but after your woes with new ones i'm no so sure its a good idea. ! ! I hope things start going better for you. Looks like you are being well looked after while waiting for the bikes to be sorted.
Cheers Phil
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #388
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,762
Hard luck with bike problems guys....its not often you hear somebody considering a KTM over a DR on the grounds of beter reliabilty
Old 11-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #389
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Broken G9? Whats wrong with it now?? Unbelievable..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #390
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Broken G9? Whats wrong with it now?? Unbelievable..
I didn't fixed it on Andi's helmet properly, while he was riding, it fell on the road, and broke off , dead.