Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #481
RMOTO
Doing secret stuff

Oddometer: 274
After a big crash and being sprawled out on the ground, apprehensively picking our heads up to evaluate if we can still wiggle all 10 fingers and toes is a concerning task to say the least. As we then move our focus to look over are see the state of our beloved bike it is often about at this point that negative thoughts can enter our heads such as “what the hell are you doing, this is a farking dangerous sport, is it worth the risk?”.

As a few days pass the body starts to heal and we are able to get back on the bike; it doesn’t take long to reconfirm why we do it. It only takes one stretch of amazing tarmac, or one fantastic twisting run of gravel road, or one epic challenging off-road section to fill the body with adrenalin and excitement to know exactly why we ride.

You two have had a fantastic trip so far, a fair share of adversity no doubt, but your pics and write-ups have been absolutely fantastic; the only thing equalling the enjoyment I get from reading your reports is my envy of you! This crash may be harder to dust off than your typical spill but keep strong and heal well Ellen, this will be a distant memory in no time and just another addition to your arsenal of adventure stories.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #482
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
no plan B yet Plan A to get her fit and well then establish a plan B.
Man that is some scary, will need time to heal both physically and emotionally. Be the rock.

The gods were smiling on her, wishing you best in getting back mobile again.

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 04:40 PM
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #483
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
Wow, what a shame. I am glad she came out of it about the best one could. Hoping she heals well.

Bt the way, there are less painful ways to get rid of the troublesome bikes than that.

Be safe, we are still following along.

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #484
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,639
Hey all

Appreciating the props and get wells.

Today I established that the frame is bent up by the headstock and the bike walks sideways and I have to hold on tight with my left hand to keep it straight so without sugar coating it ... it's fucked.

Ellen has said that is it for her riding, three times in one week with the last one being as close as you can get to REAL bodily damage and getting away with ...that is a sign that we will read and I can't stand by and watch her wreck herself as it hurts me.

The towing company wankers stole our Trangia cookset then denied it was even there, we had photos so I said I will get the Policia, they then came over to the Hotel and said it was in the other truck (Busllshit) and had gone to Guadulajara and will be back in four hours so will just drop it in then.

They did give it back but they are a pack of lying wankers standing there denying it was even there, if I HAD a gun they would all be dead now and it would be worth it.

Fast forward to this afternoon, our insurance company that we took full insurance with on the understanding that it was a RTW trip south so they knew our plans suddenly said we are NOT insured south of the USA border ... WTF, so we have a current full policy that does not cover us, WTF are we paying for????

So GEICO and the biggest pack of lying wankers right up there with the tow truck drivers , now we don't even now if we were covered in Canada .. .what happens there??

Anyone insured with GEICO check your policy so they don't leave YOU thousands out of pocket like they have us.

So we have a stuffed bike, no insurance from our insurer, not sure what else can go wrong here.

Sorry to put up a pissy post but fuck me at this point in time the shit just isn't worth it anymore, you think and are lead to believe you are doing and have done the right thing only to get the shit beaten out of you when you are down.

Rant over, as you were.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #485
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
So we have a stuffed bike, no insurance from our insurer, not sure what else can go wrong here.
Hang in there, you still have each other! I understand your fury though... sometimes adversity uncovers people who are gems, sometimes it uncovers turds.

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #486
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Just found out what happened , que mierda !!!
I'm so sorry and hope Ellen will get better soon .

Since you are talking about plan A, B .... Did you ever consider riding 2 up ?
We are doing it fo 10 month now and we got everywhere between Guatemala and Alaska . I know it's not the same , but keep in mind that the from Mexico down south the road doesn't get any better ...

I'm in Puebla right now , if there is anything I can do to assist you guys in any way , just let me know .
Old 11-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #487
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,958
Andi and Ellen,

Late to the story, just saw Ellen's crash cross-posted from another ride report. From my quick browse of your story, you two have seen a fair share of adventuring! Can't wait to digest through the whole story later tonight when I have time. Lovely pictures and stories, and I hate to see the adventure end. Hope you can find ways to continue your journey and wish you all the best of [continued] health.

Oh and...yes...fuck GEICO...bastards! Hopefully there is some fine print you have you can hold them to. Their first reaction is often to not pay-up, but I'd continue to press the issue expecially if you have any communications about what you needed the insurance for (I.e. RTW not US ONLY trip). Hopefully some insurance experts can give you some advice. You might want to post the crash if "Face Plant" section here, along with a "Help with Insurance Denial" plea.

Maybe another alternative to the DR's might be....http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716979

Same adventure, slower pace, less hurty [potential].

Stay safe!

-= Scott

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #488
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,508
Jeez guys that pic of Ellens bike is scary. I don't blame ya for sounding out -what a pack of scumbags but take a few breaths & sit tight til she feels better.
If there is anything the KB crew can do from over here just sing out.

if it was me I would swap the bikes at this stage for an old cool bronco or similar... just throwing things out there...

kia kaha
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #489
GordYukon
Canuck

Oddometer: 1
Ellen, swift recovery...

Andy & Ellen. So sorry to hear about crash from Yolanda & John. La Manzanilla is a lovely place to recuperate and ponder next move. Lots of Love out there for You. Ciao mes amis - Gordalix
GordYukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #490
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,744
Eek

Just found this too from another thread.... Sorry brother and sista... glad your injuries are minor in a major picture!
I'd deffinately press them and talk up line to one supervisor to another until you get this cleared up!
Better if you have some paper or emails rather than just their word of mouth, please keep us posted and maybe we can round up some $ with a cash fund???

Peace,
Jim
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #491
PaleoK9
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Pissed

I am mostly a lurker and a reader. Been following your report every day of your trip.
I have GEICO and I am cancelling my policy and citing this issue you have reported.
At some point enough of this corporate BS is enough.
PaleoK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #492
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,381
Hi Andi and Ellen

The main thing is Ellen will get better . I just seen Ellen on skype but line was so bad I couldn't hear her . I didnt know about the crash till i checked on here, Time to rest up , dont make any major decisions till Ellen is better . BTW Sid done very well at the Burt Munroe races, I didnt get to Sat track but went to sunday street races , he had more wins than 2nds for the day. Cheers Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #493
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,986
Wow! very sorry to here the news... Your share of bad luck is way over quota:
One bike is knackered?
Insurance co. wont provide coverage?
Ellen has lost all confidence to ride after this incident?

GuateRider mentioned going 2 up, but from my time riding with you I could see that the DRs smallish chassis is not a great 2 up platform... So what are the options?

: Swap for a bigger framed bike and continue 2 up?
: Swap for a cheap cage and do what you can to make the best of it?
: Modify the DR as best you can and continue on the one bike?
: Call it quits and find a nice beach resort for Ellen to rest and recover at before heading home?

Whatever you decide, fingers Xed that it all works for the best...
Ellen, I hope your feeling better soon...

David...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #494
Yukoner2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Hope all gets better soon

I was following this RR before I met you at D2D, and I have been following since. I hope Ellen is up to continueing on, be it on two wheels or more. This is a trip of a lifetime, so I hope it does not get cut short. On the other hand, I hope nothing else goes wrong and you are both safe after this. Keep up with the travels and take care. Jon
Yukoner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #495
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,732
Hey guys, absolutely bummed to see this. We had a hiccup with our travel insurance with Tower, luckily we found it before we left. They would not cover us over 2500 meters. So we had to cancel and start looking again. Bad luck if you go skiing in Colorado.
I hope Ellen has a speedy recovery.
The DR can be a 2 up bike. Might have to drop some luggage.
If you decide to try it 2 up and If i can be of any help please contact me.

Cheers Phil & Dawn
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote