Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #511
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 441
Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident I hope you heal up quickly. From the photos it looked rather nasty, I'm not surprised your confidence has taken a hit as a result.

Andi; give Ellen a big (but very very gentle) hug from me.

All the best with your ongoing (but somewhat modified) adventures.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #512
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrydymond View Post
I already posted on the other site.

Garry
PS As usual lots of great support from ADV.
Heya Garry, yeap saw that, was going to reply there but been flat knacker sorting stuff out.

I think we will head back to the US to get things sorted as it is easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Good to hear that you will keep on going and even better to hear that Ellen is getting better

If you are considering any BMW , then you should look into buying it in Guatemala, not in Mexico .

Hope you get it all sorted out and we will be waiting for you guys down in Guatemala
Is there BMW dealer in Guatemala, pricing on an F800GS?, would be interested to know, maybe buy one in Colombia?, save shipping over the Darien?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
Good Luck and hope to hear more from you soon.

Kiwi Canuck

Interruptions are the journey, Ted Simon.
Heya David, great to hear from you mate, thought about V strom 650 but prefer 21 inch front and a little more ground clearance besides Suzuki have scoffed enough of our money and given us trouble so I am not ready to rush back in there.

I think we will settle on a 800XC or F800GS for where we still want to go .... and I can't believe you won't come down to Mexico to pick us up, I would buy lunch

Thanks for your words etc, all starting to bring it into perspective now
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #513
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie! View Post
Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident I hope you heal up quickly. From the photos it looked rather nasty, I'm not surprised your confidence has taken a hit as a result.

Andi; give Ellen a big (but very very gentle) hug from me.

All the best with your ongoing (but somewhat modified) adventures.
Heya Rosie

Thank you so much, she is healing, still using my walking sticks but quietly moving forward.

Just a bump but a pretty big one, we will get round it, in Mexico nothing happens fast and sometimes just nothing happens!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #514
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post

Is there BMW dealer in Guatemala, pricing on an F800GS?, would be interested to know, maybe buy one in Colombia?, save shipping over the Darien?
There is a BMW dealer in every Latin American country

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/index.html
Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #515
GippersTravels
Overlander

Oddometer: 1
Holy Crap Guys,

Sorry to hear about Ellens accident, we hope she is OK and gets better soon, its tough call on what happens next mate and it sucks when the 'plan' goes down the shitter, but the main thing is that Ellen hasnt broken anything or much worse.....

If we can help with anything drop us a line mate

Big Hugs to you Both

Grif & Lisa
GippersTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #516
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,387
Quote:
In a lot of countries in South America, they slap on some serious import taxes on vehicles. So you may want to price motorcycles in those countries before you proceed any further. It's probably cheapest to buy it in the US. For example in Brazil, an 800GS sells for $45,000

It's going to be tough fitting all your gear and duo riding. You might be onto something with a Ural side car idea. But you need to be a good mechanic to own one, however, any shade tree mechanic can work on it.

I had an 800GS and have done duo riding with it with a 120 lbs pillion. I didn't like it, the front end was very light and not as planted as when riding solo.

I'm sure you'll recover from this and carry on.. it's all part of the adventure.. good or bad. And now, Ellen is your dedicated navigator and photographer!! buena suerte!

p.s. at the end of your trip, what will you do with the motorcycle? something else to keep in mind, as it might be difficult to buy a bike in one country and sell it in another.

GB screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 05:23 AM
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #517
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis

I think we will head back to the US to get things sorted as it is easier.
Your room is empty and waiting if you need it.
Hope Ellen is feeling better.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #518
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 645
Get well soon Ellen!! Andi, the pictures of Ellen prove one thing for sure. Gear will save your hide! The best thing from those pictures is the lack of abrasions, scrapes, and blood. Having spent 6 weeks in a hospital myself (ICU included), the amazing part about it was I had no broken skin, no bleeding, thank God for protective clothing.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #519
Bruce H
Bruce H

Oddometer: 155
bike replacement

I'd give serious consideration to a Ural. A "get off" two up on any bike would be tough and even more on a 1200 as they are a heavy pig (I have a GSA) and riding on un-improved roades two up on the 1200 would be tough. The three wheeled, two wheel drive Ural would give you time to relax without most of the worry of falling over. You can easily talk and there would be more rooom for gear.

A hack would also be a consideration, something mounted on a newer GS. Wouldn't have the benifit of the extra wheel drive but also doesn't fall over as two wheels can. Way more room for gear than a bike.

Good Luck!
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #520
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Gathering Up

Good morning ladies and gents

First off we are blown away by the offers of help, information, ideas and straight out brotherly support, we seriously appreciate this from our ADV family and it is helping us formulate Plan B.

At this stage we will be travelling lite on either an F800GS or 800XC, either would be fine, anything bigger would just be too much of a handful, for those of you unfortunate to have met me you know I am no a big guy .....well not everywhere

Looking to either part out Ellens bike or reframe and repair it as it is well set up fo a RTW bike and has a massive amount of money in it, new Ti chains and sprockets, near new rubber etc.

Same with mine, sell it as a going machine (which it is) or maybe part it out as well, either option will work as we now just have to recover as much as we can financially to lesson the impact, things are looking forward and positive so we can do it and make it happen (actually we have no choice)!!

The Human Part

OK back to an update, today is Wednesday 28th November, Ellen is starting to walk a bit better and the scorch on her bum is slowly starting to dry.

This is Ellens bum, ever wondered what a bruised asian bum looks like ... now you do

The feet, hmmm slowly but surely getting better

Ready for a marathon

The Blokes Department

Looked at the bike and the headstcok is definitely out of whack, sitting on the bike the steering is out of whack North West.

We are test trialing this new wind efficient fender ... makes the KLR look good

Barkbusters, what else is there to say as they took an epic beating, her hands, levers etc are all intact ..... GET THEM!!!

Tramping boot tin took a slight tar seal applied cosmetic enhancement as did our video camera mount

Hmmmm, straightened it as far as I could to ride it here

Hard case photo, the top of her top box took off leaving only the front section

The captain and her stricken ship

At this point we will stay for a few days, we are in a quiet and secure place so perfect for rehab fo Ellen. We are lucky enough to have have great Wifi which is outstanding in a time of need to get things reorganised.

To finish it off we have a beach two minutes walk (ten for Ellen) so she can swim and do weightless exercise to get her body moving, she is still very saw deep inside the chest/back area, probably bruising to ribs as she was winded on impact.

So that is where we are at right now, Plan A get Ellen sorted, Plan B reorganise the wheels.

Again thanks to all for the support.

Love Andi & Ellen
Old 11-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #521
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Work & bad internet....playing catch up today.

Get well soon Ellen, if you guys need anything let me know, I know others have offered but I will have "time" after today.

Keep on going Eh!Did not expect any less from you guys.

A beach and a large bottle of liquor, that's what I'd do, sometimes alcohol induced thinking is good for you. Cheer up and lets see some more of that Kiwi ingenuity.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #522
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,372
Wicked Fukengruvers

Quote:
Good morning ladies and gents

So that is where we are at right now, Plan A get Ellen sorted, Plan B reorganise the wheels.

Again thanks to all for the support.

Love Andi & Ellen
Good to know Ellen is healing and you guys are positive , you went there to do a ride and yous are going to finish it , true Gruvers a , BTW my old DR6 fiddy will have 70,000 miles on it next ride , off on Stress leave to Phills Feb , seriously thinking of buying a Yamaha there , havn't owned a Yammy since 1975 in West Aust when i had a DT175 . Keep the news coming Cheers Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #523
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,937
Dr200

As a female rider just starting to ride dirt 3 years ago, I might offer another option. I have a few bikes F650 Twin, DR200. While the F650 has survived my learning curve, it's not an easy off road bike for female given its' weight. Yes, it's gone great places with me and I love rocking down the tarmac, but off road you need to ride very precisely. While I can pick it by myself, I'd much rather wait for 2 more hands. It's just a big bike and I suspect the DR650 is similar for her.

Last year I bought a DR200, street legal, 21 inch front wheel, and sub 300-lbs, short seat height. For a "little" bike, lots of folks have rode it and thought ergonomically it rides like a normal sized bike. Comparitively, on the TTR125 you feel like a monkey on a football. Everyone has a hoot on it, and it is confidence inspiring.

They are very cheap used $14-1600. The big drawback is top speed is around 60MPH, but the gas mileage is crazy good and you could probably get 300 miles on the 3.4 gallon tank.

The DR200 Thread

Best of luck!

Dorito screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 04:24 PM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #524
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
I too wish a quick recovery!

Your head stock being tweaked might be as simple as the fork tubes twisted in the triple trees I doubt it but check it out you never know.

Again heal up and ride on!

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #525
SkycamNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Wicked

Geez Andi, looking at that 'bum-shot' of Ellen, not sure you will make it through the elimination rounds for chief photographer on the next Swim-suit Quarterly magazine shoot!!