Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #1036
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTKNZ View Post
Kiwi's may be the only people in the world who remember that now....
eternal curses on the heads of the French and Francois Mitterand!
(and they play crap rugby!)
Yes you mention Rainbow Warrior and 99% of people give you a blank look back ... probably good tho for public relations and at least people like Petrolhead Pierre are around waving the good flag!!!
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #1037
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgirl61 View Post
Just wandering around i think, we intend to get to the bottom and see the sights, any recommendations of must see things?? We have 3 weeks so we intend to beach it up a bit, we looked at the ferry, but one vehicle and 4 bikes, seems like a stack of money to us...
Heya Clare

You have the hotline to probably one of the more knowledgable Baja databases .. Mr.Al Jesse

Having said that, La Ventana was a fav or ours, really neat, Guerrero Negro for whale watching, the very bottom is very american and touristy.

The ferry will be a lot of money for you guys with alla the bikes and the vehicle.

Have a look through our pics at http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/Tw.../Mexico?page=1
and go through them or just hoon back a few pages to the beginning of Baja.

Start here at post 786 and fill your boots http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...789269&page=53

Any queries just sing out and we will answer as best we can for our age
Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #1038
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews42 View Post
Looks like Cuba was a great time! Can't wait to see what more of trip and sexy pictures of Maya in different locations!
Woulda been neat to have had Maya there but cost, red tape and BS wasn't worth it and we had fun going 4x4 in our rental car.

Won't be long now and we will resume as travelers not tourist and we can get back down to business

We need a new photo for our www.twomotokiwis.com blog header too so better get into that.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #1039
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Cuba - Day 13 - Holguin to Ciego De Avila - Disaster Happened

Andi started to have some stomach pains the on the way back to Holguin. He took some Chinese poo pills which helped a bit, but still not one hundred percent. We got up at 8:00 am and walked up the three hundred steps to the hill, which was great.

Fron the top

On the way back, Andi’s stomach felt uneasy again. We got back to the casa, had shower, breakfast at 10:30am, bread, ham, eggs, juice and coffee as you do in Cuba. Our hosts were very nice to us we must say, so we paid some extra for their outstanding services they provided for us. Everybody was happy.

We walked to the bus station, the guy in the ticket booth sold us the bus tickets, but he said the bus is 11:30am, which we were told the night before was 12:15pm. WTF? In cuba, you just don’t know who is right who is wrong.

11:30 passed, no bus, 11:45am passed, still no bus. If we had not been here before 11:30am, we would shit ourselves if the bus was not here. Finally, 5 to midday, the bus arrived. Then the driver told us they will stop for lunch, the bus will leave at 12:30pm. At this time, Andi had done two toilet visiting, he was not happy.

Back to the waiting room again (because when the driver went out for lunch, they locked the bus, everybody had to come out.) 15mins later, I went out to see if the bus started to load, and saw Tony, any Irish cyclist we meet a couple of days ago near Santiago De Cuba. He has been cycling around cuba for 8 weeks. It’s his last week in cuba. He was going to Ciego as well. I told him Andi was not well, he said he had some good pills to stop guts ache etc.

The bus was loading again, we were all on the bus. I asked Tony if Andi can have some of his good pills. Andi took some of the good stuff, it didn’t work. He had two vomit and things getting worse. I could see he was in severe pain, but can’t do anything to help. The last time I saw him like that when he had a kidney stone. I asked him if it felt like that? No he said.

By 5pm, he was almost passed out. He asked me to ask the coach driver when we will be in Ciego, he needed to get to hospital. That was what I thought too. The bus driver said 20 mins, and I just saw a road sign said 40kms to Ciego, I knew it will take longer than 20min, but we were in the middle of nowhere, it won’t be quicker if we got off the bus and get an ambulance either. So I had to go back and lie to Andi we will be in town in 20min, please hold on.

We passed some horror crash and burned car and a tractor on the road, I had all my mind on Andi, even didn’t think to take a picture of that. When we got to the bus station in Ciego, Tony asked if he could help. By then, Andi couldn’t even stand up. Tony and the other guy help Andi get off the bus, I took our two bags and I was going to get a taxi. The coach drive came and told me they will drive Andi to the hospital, so we went back on the bus, they drove directly to the E&A gate, we put Andi on the wheel bed, I felt a little bit relief - some one can help Andi now.

The doctor in the hospital spoke very little English, but the students there who can really speak good English. One male doctor came checked on Andi. About 10 min later, we went to see a female doctor, she then sent Andi to test blood, then X-ray, then ultra sound.

They were very helpful, especially the student who has been pointed as our interpreter called Carlos.

Later on (one hour maybe two, I had no ideas) we finally finished all the waiting and checking, Andi was given a bed and was about to have some drip to put on him. He told me to tell them give him some thing to stop the pain. I did ask the doctor, but I don’t know if they give much pain killer or not.

A young black female doctor came to discuss with me about Andi’s medical history. She spoke perfect English. Later I found out she was from Namibia, has been studying medical for 6 years in cuba. She then translated all to the doctor in charge.

With all the students and doctors help, Andi finally settled down. The pain was still there, but he could have some rest.

Tony, after settled in a Casa, came to the hospital found us and offered more help. Thanks Tony.

It was 10:00pm, and an other doctor come to checked Andi again. He explained to us that Andi didn’t have anything severe needing operation - that is good news. I am impressed that for one patient, they have gone through many special doctors to make sure their diagnose was correct.

Andi’s Version

Whoa .... what a day .... one I don’t want to repeat, not sure of the cause and the irony of this is the incubation time we don’t know.

Ellen pretty much summed it up, for me while sitting/laying in the bus I started to lose feeling in my hands and feet then arms and legs as well, I lost all my motor function and was shivering badly to the point I felt my body was shutting down. to be honest I was very scared.

I don’t remember the last part of our ride I am guessing maybe the last 1/2 hour or so, I don’t recall getting off the bus but we were very lucky to have a concerned driver that took us to the hospital which is well above their duties especially negotiating a 12 metre bus around the narrow streets to get us there.

This is me looking totally stunning (per cool runnings)... you dead .... ya mun

To the driver I will probably never see again thank you so much.

I couldn't do much to help but to them I am very greatful, their diagnosis was Severe Gastro Enteritis so a pile of antibiotics.

On the better side of this report Ellen snapped a couple of pics of the town that I missed out on.

Groovy coloured buildings

A cool old Harley too ... I could easily take that home.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #1040
MTKNZ
Touring Kiwi

Oddometer: 104
Cry Jeeeez mate....

Big thumbs up to the drivers and helpers, severe gastro is a truly terrible thing, not to mention scary as hell for the poor patient!
Not only do you feel like you are going to die, after a while you actually want to, just so the misery will end!

How is that travel insurance looking now Andi?
Or did the Cubans spring for this?

BTW Great photo's of the architecture Ellen, very cool.
did you guys take classes in photography before setting out on this trip?
Whatever you did, keep up the good work, I am loving it.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #1041
SkycamNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Geez guys.... we don't need too many more horror stories like that gastro bug! Right scary stuff! Glad you're back on your feet again now Andi.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #1042
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTKNZ View Post
Big thumbs up to the drivers and helpers, severe gastro is a truly terrible thing, not to mention scary as hell for the poor patient!
Not only do you feel like you are going to die, after a while you actually want to, just so the misery will end!

How is that travel insurance looking now Andi?
Or did the Cubans spring for this?

BTW Great photo's of the architecture Ellen, very cool.
did you guys take classes in photography before setting out on this trip?
Whatever you did, keep up the good work, I am loving it.
Thanks man, yeah wasn't my favourite day in Cuba to be fair but I am still alive.

The Cuban sprung for the first one in Hospital but I had to stump for the session in Varadero.

No photography lessons or classes, we were lucky enough to talk with Alberto from Salt Spring Islands .... now he can take photos so we blatantly stole info from him.

To be honest we really want a good camera so we can step it up a bit but we don't have the room for lenses etc so these will have to do.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #1043
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkycamNZ View Post
Geez guys.... we don't need too many more horror stories like that gastro bug! Right scary stuff! Glad you're back on your feet again now Andi.
Was only horror for Ellen as I wasn't there for a lot of it except the painful bit

Can't kill weeds Pete so you will have to put up with me a for a bit longer yet, besides we need a lot more Tekapo weekends before I die!!!

Also thanks for the comment on Photobucket .... coming from a professional photographer means a lot and particularly from you as well knowing you are photo fussy.

One day we will buy some real gear!!!!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #1044
GaryAK
Easy Going

Oddometer: 209
[QUOTE=
This is me looking totally stunning (per cool runnings)... you dead .... ya mun

Trying to head off to wanker heaven so soon?

Not so fast...
even though I have seen better heads on a mug of beer - you still have to finish this ride report...

seriously, get well soon brutha...
GaryAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #1045
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,509
DANG dood! Sorry to hear but glad you were in a place where you could get good help quickly!

Here's to your quick and complete healing and continued well being to you both.

Warmest regards from way up north, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #1046
SkycamNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
....besides we need a lot more Tekapo weekends before I die!!!
Don't think I got to Tekapo at all last year. My riding buddies have stood me up. They decided they would sooner go travelling overseas for a year or two.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #1047
chekamus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
good to hear u recoverd ok, look forward to the next stage, bet you were missing the mighty ktm!
chekamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #1048
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,084
Just wondering

You know if it wasn't for bad luck you fookers wouldn't have any luck at all!!!!

Are you two 100% sure that your not Irish ?

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #1049
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Pierre do you remember these fellas? .... just as well you are a good bugger and made up for it

When is captain picky coming? .... make sure he brings some icecream ... we might have to woft back to Canada
Don't know...too busy to message NZ. Will as soon as I finish building my poolisher, he'll like that pic. Hope he ain't too picky about the ceiling, I burned my only sander yesterday.

Are you guys talking Greenpeace? Linda is gone from the office but she was one of the original crewmembers of the RW and after that she sailed as a steward with us for a few years.

Oh man....I'd have some funny stories about Greenpeace, we had to attend to them back then when they performed on this coast.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #1050
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryAK View Post

Trying to head off to wanker heaven so soon?

Not so fast...
even though I have seen better heads on a mug of beer - you still have to finish this ride report...

seriously, get well soon brutha...
Yeah they wouldn't take me at the gates saying something about getting my arse into ger and writing .. they are getting pickier every day

Thanks for your well wishes mate, pretty well back on track now but it was a good few days of torment.