Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #1216
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Enjoy your time in Xela. Spent a couple months there learning Spanish as well and really enjoyed it, except for freezing my arse off every night, but it was December - February. Weekend trips to Atitlan helped to shake the chill.

At the end of every school day my head hurt and I was exhausted, but it was totally worth doing. It will give you a great base to learn more as you head south. Some days you wont feel like you learned a thing, but you did and it will pay off big time as you venture further south and learn more each day.

Great ride you two, and say hello to Julio and Luisa for me when you return to Antigua.

Buen viaje!

Vin

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #1217
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,395
04-23-2013, 12:12 PM #611
VooDooDaddy
Banned

Oddometer: 156

Interesting ..... must have been the last straw!!!
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #1218
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Enjoy your time in Xela. Spent a couple months there learning Spanish as well and really enjoyed it, except for freezing my arse off every night, but it was December - February. Weekend trips to Atitlan helped to shake the chill.

At the end of every school day my head hurt and I was exhausted, but it was totally worth doing. It will give you a great base to learn more as you head south. Some days you wont feel like you learned a thing, but you did and it will pay off big time as you venture further south and learn more each day.

Great ride you two, and say hello to Julio and Luisa for me when you return to Antigua.

Buen viaje!

Vin
Heya Vin

Yeah man everyday my head hurts ... sometimes in different places

Thus far 1.5 weeks in VERY well worth while, not sure 4 weeks will be enough so will probably do some more in Colombia.

The main thing is looking forward to being able to speak to people with some sorts of sense rather than ordering a wheelbarrow with my biscuit and coffee.

Will catch up with Julio and Luisa in about 2.5 weeks, he has been kind enough to take delivery of a bunch of parts for Maya so outstanding to say the least.

Good excuse for vino or beers
Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #1219
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Enjoy your time in Xela. Spent a couple months there learning Spanish as well and really enjoyed it,

Vin
Wasn't there also some german lessons that you took in xela ?
Julio
Old 04-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #1220
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Wasn't there also some german lessons that you took in xela ?
Julio
¿Fue después de mucho ron?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #1221
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
¿Fue después de mucho ron?

I don't know, ask Vince
Old 04-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #1222
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Yeah man everyday my head hurts ... sometimes in different places

Thus far 1.5 weeks in VERY well worth while, not sure 4 weeks will be enough so will probably do some more in Colombia.

The main thing is looking forward to being able to speak to people with some sorts of sense rather than ordering a wheelbarrow with my biscuit and coffee.
That just about made me spit my coffee on my keyboard this morning, too funny.

I have been following along for a long time and just wanted to say, it is your easy going sense of humor that makes this thread so enjoyable. I am trying to learn Spanish as well and it isn't easy for a lifelong English speaker to do. Little by little I find that my understanding grows. This is not to say that I could write, or speak a proper sentence, but my comprehension is growing, as long as the speaker talks slowly (and they never do).

I admire you both for your undertaking. Be safe, and have the time of your lives!
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #1223
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
That just about made me spit my coffee on my keyboard this morning, too funny.

I have been following along for a long time and just wanted to say, it is your easy going sense of humor that makes this thread so enjoyable.

I admire you both for your undertaking. Be safe, and have the time of your lives!
Ha thanks man, Yeah learning a new language at 46 is quite comical at times so inventing new words has been fun and we try and take the light hearted and fun approach to things, not always easy.

Thus far we can add to the international dictionary the following words which make any international conversation among Chinese, Kiwis and Spaniards totally acceptable, these are,

Chanish, Spinglish, Spanese and Slangnish

So back to my text book for now, thanks for following and more so enjoying, another report will come on the weekend
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #1224
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
I don't know, ask Vince
Andi, I was 42 when I started learning Spanish. After a few weeks I could talk about kids kicking a football and jumping over picnic tables all day long, I just couldn't talk about anything other than that.

Yeah, German too. Still continuing my German lessons, on a more personal level.

Actually the Rum thing, wait, Old Parr thing, was in Venezuela. I had been in Brazil for some months, went to VZ at Silviu's place, and when he and his buddies started feeding me a bottomless glass of Old Parr, I started speaking pretty decent Portuguese to the Venezuelan boys. They got a kick out of that.

crashmaster screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 09:09 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #1225
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Andi, I was 42 when I started learning Spanish. After a few weeks I could talk about kids kicking a football and jumping over picnic tables all day long, I just couldn't talk about anything other than that.

Yeah, German too. Still continuing my German lessons, on a more personal level.

Actually the Rum thing, wait, Old Parr thing, was in Venezuela. I had been in Brazil for some months, went to VZ at Silviu's place, and when he and his buddies started feeding me a bottomless glass of Old Parr, I started speaking pretty decent Portuguese to the Venezuelan boys. They got a kick out of that.
Heya Vin

Spanish is coming on well two weeks in so happy with that.

German .... sounds like an"attractive" option has been taken ... well done that man, assuming to then the practica is more fun too

My preference is still Coconut Rum, I have practiced a lot with this but still don't know any Portuguese .... maybe I bought the wring stuff.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #1226
MTKNZ
Touring Kiwi

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
My preference is still Coconut Rum, I have practiced a lot with this but still don't know any Portuguese .... maybe I bought the wring stuff.
Perhaps you should try Jamaican?
Language or Rum it doesn't seem to matter, besides,
once you drink enough of it, nobody can understand you anyway!

YMMV of course...
Old 04-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #1227
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTKNZ View Post
Perhaps you should try Jamaican?
Language or Rum it doesn't seem to matter, besides,
once you drink enough of it, nobody can understand you anyway!

YMMV of course...
Hmmm, wanted to go yo Jamaica ... shoulda gone there from Cuba but at least it gives us an excuse to go back.

So tonight we are out for ANZAC tea at school where the Kiwis and Ozzies are cooking for the rest of the school kids so I need to buy some more Rum.

See what the shop has.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #1228
Ozgirl61
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Sounds like you guys are doing good, have enjoyed the photos recently, Well honestly Mackenzie saw the bum one and said, yikes no one needs to see that..lol. Our Friends from OZ turned up yesterday and have taken the DR's for a ride today, we will be heading off for a couple of weeks in the next few days.
Ozgirl61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #1229
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quetzulnetango Fin De Semama

Xela, The Weekend WOHHOH

Sabado (Saturday) was a sleep in ... no pictures of that.

We decided to take the day off, wonder around Xela centro, go to the market etc and just take the place in and case it out.

It started with a choco coco .... no explanation needed, measured by chocolateonfacesmileinpublic grin <---- like this fella but brown!!

Ellen was a little more lady like

We had a great walk including finding longer screws for the top case for spacers and taking in the huge market.

Mangos ...... mangos ... argh we splashed out and bought two huge mangos for 5Q which is about 64 cents for the two, these were for the hot pools the next day.

Saw a 27.5 inch mountain bike for the first time although probably old news now I was excited to see it.

Domingo (Sunday) was almost a sleep in with breaky at 8.30 am and Fuentas Georgina lined up for the day.

Fuentes Georginas is a neat hot pool centre sitting at about 2800 metres up in the cloud and fog line.

Time to break out the moto and take a 16 km ride, out of town was hard work as most centros are but once out of town and up to the access road that was as wide a one car in places it was neat fun.

It is incredible where the Guatemalans plant crops with some incredibly steep faces being farmed.

Crops brought to the road side and friendly wave from a friendly Guatemalan ... not hard to find here at all.

The hot pools (Aqua Caliente) are in an amazing setting, the first pool at the top is a little too hot to start with and you have to get in quietly and can only stay in for a short while.

The next pool down is very comfy and can turn you into a prune cos you realize how long you have been sitting in there, then there is a kids pool which is shallow.

Ellen enjoying her back being tampt by the hot water, check out the ladys look on her face to the right of Ellen .... I am sure it wasn't us

Right at the entrance there is another hot pool in a rock setting on the left hand side which is very cool so we made the most of that too.

Out treat for the day was to have the mangos from the market and they were simple beautiful providing the much needed orange ring around my mouth supported by a contented grin.

Having a late lunch there we chose the cheese burger option which come with chips and salad and come highly recommended.

Setting off for home looking like heated prunes we rode back partly through fog then popping out below the great white canopy allowing spectacular views of the valley giving us appreciation of our elevation.

One horsepower can move a lot but 100 HP is more fun

This is the town of Zunil that you take the turnoff up to the springs

All in all a great trip from Xela, not far away and very nice.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #1230
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgirl61 View Post
Sounds like you guys are doing good, have enjoyed the photos recently, Well honestly Mackenzie saw the bum one and said, yikes no one needs to see that..lol. Our Friends from OZ turned up yesterday and have taken the DR's for a ride today, we will be heading off for a couple of weeks in the next few days.
Heya Clare ... we put that photo up so Mackenzie will be put off boys or is that the wrong approach to good parenting/crazykiwiadopteduncle

Great to hear they are there and on their way, if they have ANY questions just let us know.

Spanish is going well but my head hurts (so does Ellens tho) so we must be making progress.

Luv to all, go celebrate ANZACS with a few liquids as we will be doing tonight with our Ozzie brothers here