....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #1412
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Yeah bein very careful on how many "goodies" and how much "comfort fud" I eat, not doing any exercise other than walking it would be easy to make my pants shrink
Comfort fud....dammit no perogies in my freezer for last night. If I recall that tummy of yours may have taken us from them suspension setups. Darn I am slow sometimes, just finished last week. Time to head north for more road tests/fine tunings following the leads of them YouTube videos, the ones from them Kiwi guys. Should be some comfort on the way.....good old Poutine and most probably served with a Kiwi or Aussie accent.

See you in 6-700 Kms...hope you have good news by then.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #1413
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post

See you in 6-700 Kms...hope you have good news by then.
Great news, it is only a temporary thing and should be all tidied up and healed max 50 years

So I had a CT Scan and can see hundreds on pictures of my inner most self, to be honest I have no clue as to their worth however the Doc basically says no further damage, organs all ok, just time that is going to see it right.

Got to do heavy breathing by blowing into a bottle full of water to avoid pneumonia as that is now my biggest danger other than smacking my ribs however that is extremely unlikely given the protection I am giving them from the discomfort.

All in all good news, got some heavier drugs to send to me to a better level when things are grumpy....really looking forward to the day they stop crunching around
Old 06-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #1414
MTKNZ
Touring Kiwi

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Great news, it is only a temporary thing and should be all tidied up and healed max 50 years

All in all good news, got some heavier drugs to send to me to a better level when things are grumpy....really looking forward to the day they stop crunching around
Is that why they call them exercises crunchies?
yahoo for good drugs, gotta love 'em!
Hope you feel better soon, or at least not feel so much...

So is Ellen bored yet? Has she taken the camera out for a brisk walk to capture some of the local flavours and colours for us to live vicariously through the adventure?

If not, perhaps this explains how the drug supply needed to be replenished so soon????
Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #1415
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTKNZ View Post
Is that why they call them exercises crunchies?
yahoo for good drugs, gotta love 'em!
Hope you feel better soon, or at least not feel so much...

So is Ellen bored yet? Has she taken the camera out for a brisk walk to capture some of the local flavours and colours for us to live vicariously through the adventure?

If not, perhaps this explains how the drug supply needed to be replenished so soon????
Cheers mate

Promise to do some more stuff soon, we are doing two hours Spanish a day so have time to cruze at the market.

Ellen has joined the gym and we have Gene, Neda, Taz, Julio and some other strays to harass

Today is three weeks on, only got the one trouble point so can't really complain but hopin up for a wizz in the night is still an epic

Maya s back here, got a slight rear brake issue to solve so that will take 20 x longer which is ok.

I did try and get some more lightning photos too so thinking of you guys.

Cheers from most of me ... Andi
Old 06-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #1416
MTKNZ
Touring Kiwi

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Cheers mate

Cheers from most of me ... Andi
Cheers back from me to the bits that matter! lol
And Ellen of course, she is a rockstar!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #1417
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Heavier drugs??? Care to share a name??? I now keep a few things here "just in case", easy enough to find "just in case".Hum...sure could have used some of them not so long ago, effing doctor cut me up, stapled me back then stuck a cast on me and sent me home with nothing better than over the counter crap.

Gotta self-medicate sometimes when you are a ways from the clinic and that is if there is anyone there.

We never found mom's stash back then, as a nurse she sure kept the good stuff around.Psychiatric nurse that is....! Probably a very good thing we never found it, she knew about her son's addictive personalities.She was much better at finding our stashes.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #1418
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTKNZ View Post
Cheers back from me to the bits that matter! lol
And Ellen of course, she is a rockstar!
I'll take those bits and yes she is the camp mum at the mo keeping things in order.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #1419
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Heavier drugs??? Care to share a name??? I now keep a few things here "just in case", easy enough to find "just in case".Hum...sure could have used some of them not so long ago, effing doctor cut me up, stapled me back then stuck a cast on me and sent me home with nothing better than over the counter crap.

Gotta self-medicate sometimes when you are a ways from the clinic and that is if there is anyone there.

We never found mom's stash back then, as a nurse she sure kept the good stuff around.Psychiatric nurse that is....! Probably a very good thing we never found it, she knew about her son's addictive personalities.She was much better at finding our stashes.
HA drugs... none you would rate ... only anti inflames with grunty numbers.

Got access to a few extras, today in class I sneezed and that was NOT funny, few tears to go

All good tho and making progress albeit slowly but that is ribs for ya.

Setting too and writing up about the last few days and the thoughts that have pummeled my mind.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #1420
Bruce H
Bruce H

Oddometer: 152
Feeling your pain! I broke five ribs, posterior, a few years ago. Spent a couple months sleeping in a chair because I couldn't lay down.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #1421
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Feeling your pain! I broke five ribs, posterior, a few years ago. Spent a couple months sleeping in a chair because I couldn't lay down.
Yea a little less than pleasant eh , trust they are all good now?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #1422
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Antigua Round Three - We Can’t Seem To Leave This Place

.....Julio says it is cheaper to buy a place here rather than just keeping coming back again and again

So after our wee get off life has been interesting considering we (me) are doing very little.

Highlight of my day is lunchtime and tea time, we have also been doing two hours each day Spanish so this is good and take my mind off my ribs but I find it uncomfortable sitting so I move around a lot.

Maya was safely delivered by Gene and Neda who are normally seen riding the GS’s. Nedas bike needed servicing in Guatemala City so Gene cadged a ride with Julio who kindly offered a seat while Neda followed behind on her bike.

Dropping her bike at the dealership they both piled onto Maya, this worked out well for them as Gene does not have a passenger seat on his GS and it worked well for us to get Maya back in our possession, a HUGE thanks to Victor for looking after her.

Something happened to Maya in Guatemala City and the rear brake decided it did not want to leave town and started making smoke signals which is a bumma, seems that moisture from humidity in the brake fluid was the culprit so new pads, new oil and a good clean out and we will be up and running ... not that I can use the bike anyway.

HUGE thanks to Gene and Julio, really appreciate the team effort to get her back here and I promise not to post any pictures of Gene on the KTM ... other than these ones.

Concentrated look

I was the guide boy .... dunno what I could have done if Gene let her go

Squeezed through the entrance

All the way to the back courtyard

So at our place we are staying I am relaxing and resting, every morning we go for a walk to get circulation going which is great, a walk to the market or town centre, the market is a cool place where you can buy anything .. except a camera tripod.

Ellens training coming into full flight here

A reminder and pisstake on Cuba ... very appropriate

This place is CHOCA with fruit and veges, prices ranges dramatically depending on the day and who is serving you, some see whites fellas and go ca-ching and others are asking their usual prices.

Every afternoon the clouds gather and have a scrap, mum nature lets us know she is in control with thunder and lightning served up in generous proportions, in New Zealand this is rare, in Guatemala this is everyday in the rainy season.

From the "sun" deck

See the layers here, just stunning

A couple of minute up here is as good a world class movie with swirls and changing clouds and Huey taking photos of earth

There have been many parades and celebrations, Guatemalans love blowing shit up and everyday there are huge booms which makes one jump if you are not ready for them.

This was a dance on the street, check out their masks

In house here we have a big rabbit who is a real friendly bugger and loves to try and trip you up, who needs a watch dog with a daunting face like this.

He is whiter than me!!

Last Saturday evening we got an email from Phil and Jane on the Ultimate Ride, they were in Antigua for two nights so we caught up with them which was so cool.

Given they only had two nights we organized a dinner at a restaurant called “Por Que No”, which translates to “Why Not” on the Sunday evening.

It was quite the gathering with Gene and Neda, Phil and Jane, Ellen and I and Julio (unfortunately Luiosa was in Guatemala City with work)

We are not sure why but Nedas meal came our first, so with no guilt we said get into it and don't wait for us ..... well she did ....and it smelt great

The team, from the left, Jane and bro Phil, me, Gene, Neda, Ellen and Julio

Gene recklessly graffiting the hat

We showed them “the hat” that started a two page war on our ride report against Voodoodaddy who was offended, it was agreed unanimously he was a dick, obviously the mods thought so too as he is permabanned.

So in good spirits Team Phil and Jane as well as team lightcycle - Gene and Neda signed the other hat ... now there are scrawlings from three dodgy adventure bikers there is no other real estate left in there to graffiti in.

Look inside and you will see the sigs

Good times guys and a great catchup ... may the slow race continue, Gene and Neda no more cheating going around the block to Cuba and back again .

Also in my time to think about life for a while I got to thinking about facts and figures, at the end of my ribs saga in say 2.5 weeks time which will be 6 weeks we have had 18 weeks off the road to failures.

We lost 6 weeks out of the first six months to the DR 650s casing fups by Suzuki and we lost 6 weeks to Ellens crash and regroup and now 6 weeks to my ribs.

In a very strange sorta way we are very lucky considering a lot of people don’t actually have 18 weeks to travel let lone have 18 weeks to recover and get over fails with motorcycle and bodies.

So at 400 days now on the road we have had around 126 days off...without sick pay , so more than a quarter of the time, this is something we had not factored into our trip so our best plan was to have no plan which has worked out well.

Where is this going? .. buggered if I know but I was just thinking about it so I guess anyone considering a RTW trip just think a little more about possible illness or crashes, don’t base your trip around it but place it in the back of your mind.

The consequences of this is we are obviously miles behind where we thought we were going to be, theoretically we should be down in South America around Peru or so, at this point we have not made it half way and we are dead set into the rainy season which or course has other bonuses and trials.

That concludes what has been happening to date, next update when something exciting happens although life has still been great despite me single handedly keeping the Guatemalan medical profession from going into recession.

Luv to all.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #1423
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
HA drugs... none you would rate ... only anti inflames with grunty numbers.
Paracematol (Panadol)??? With Codeine???....Or Naproxen w/codeine??? Got a big shot of that last year, had to drag myself to the hospital first but instant relief. I sure can rate codeine, only thing that worked for me for them raging rum hangovers. Evil Lamb's Navy, had to go beg our British captain for some codeine back then. No drugs....no lunch for you Captain. Oh well, he did it to us dropping that bottle on the mess table after supper.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #1424
lightcycle
Nomad

Oddometer: 522
Here's a couple of pics from Maya's perspective to fill in the gaps in Andi's report:

Two Moto Canucks, back in the saddle!

The rest of the report will now be written in Kiwi, so the New Zealanders will understand it.

Kia Ora, blimey mate, put another shrimp on the barbie and pass the Coors, go Manchester!!! ;)

Croikey dick, the rear brake's done near knackered! I give the old gal a bit of a kick and whadayaknow, Bob's yer uncle and everything's a box of budgies! I'm feeling pretty chuffed and Neda pipes up with an ole, "Good on ya, mate!" so hooray to Guatemala City! We spend a few moments dodging lorries on the roadway, had to tella few to "NAFF OFF" but we got to Antigua all home'n hosed and just in time for tea! Phew, I could really go for a vegemite sarnie, right about now!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #1425
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Here's a couple of pics from Maya's perspective to fill in the gaps in Andi's report:

The rest of the report will now be written in Kiwi, so the New Zealanders will understand it.

Kia Ora, blimey mate, put another shrimp on the barbie and pass the Coors, go Manchester!!! ;)

Croikey dick, the rear brake's done near knackered! I give the old gal a bit of a kick and whadayaknow, Bob's yer uncle and everything's a box of budgies! I'm feeling pretty chuffed and Neda pipes up with an ole, "Good on ya, mate!" so hooray to Guatemala City! We spend a few moments dodging lorries on the roadway, had to tella few to "NAFF OFF" but we got to Antigua all home'n hosed and just in time for tea! Phew, I could really go for a vegemite sarnie, right about now!
. I hope Andi's ribs hurt from laughing.

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote