ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
MotoSailorDC OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MotoSailorDC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Riverdale Park, MD
Oddometer: 66
SaddleSore into Canada

I'm considering taking a jaunt through Canada near the mid-point of my future SaddleSore. How much time does the border crossing add? I've only flown into other countries, never driven. What can I expect?

Cheers!
MotoSailorDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer
 
Slowphil's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: home again till the next one
Oddometer: 1,509
All depends on where you try to cross, the bigger crossings can take a long time due to the amount of shipping trying to cross. Smaller ones can be fairly quick, say 10 minutes. For example if you cross at the main crossing at St Stephan, New Brunswick it can be fairly busy and slow but just down the road is a smaller crossing you can get through quickly. Post up where your trying to go.

Cheers
__________________
Everything will be all right in the end
and if its not alright then it is not yet the end.

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
MotoSailorDC OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MotoSailorDC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Riverdale Park, MD
Oddometer: 66
Thanks! I'm considering going through the crossing at the end of US I-81 in the Thousand Islands region. Looks pretty traffic free....
MotoSailorDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Kenzie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 15
The thousands island crossing is as many are, much busier on weekends. It is not a commercial artery so most of the traffic is all tourism. I grew up in the Islands and crossed there often, if you hit it during a weekday the line up should be no more than 4 or 5 cars, but during the weekend you are looking at about 10-15 cars at each booth, and imagine a 2-3 minute wait for each car.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
NightShadow
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Oddometer: 80
Also look at the time of day you might be going through - the later day or night it is usually much faster.
I went through in about 2 mins at night.
Don't do it on a long weekend ( Canadian or American )
NightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
MotoSailorDC OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MotoSailorDC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Riverdale Park, MD
Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShadow View Post
Also look at the time of day you might be going through - the later day or night it is usually much faster.
I went through in about 2 mins at night.
Don't do it on a long weekend ( Canadian or American )
Ugh - so it looks like that would be a no-go on both accounts? Was thinking of using memorial day weekend for this, and was hoping to get through the passing at around noon-1pm. Guess it's time to think up a different route....
MotoSailorDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Badlands (of NJ)
Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoSailorDC View Post
Ugh - so it looks like that would be a no-go on both accounts? Was thinking of using memorial day weekend for this, and was hoping to get through the passing at around noon-1pm. Guess it's time to think up a different route....
I did an overnight run into Quebec this past weekend. Unlike my normal routine, I decided to cross on an Interstate - the traffic was light, I was in no hurry and I wanted to see how the "other ones" do it. On that slow day, there were about 5 lanes open on I-87 entering Canada, each with about half a dozen vehicles waiting. It took about 15 minutes.
In the past, before I switched to routinely taking a side-crossing, I experienced waits on Interstates as long as an hour, especially returning to US (on a bike in the rain!).

Nowadays, I get off the Interstate and take a nearby crossing on a side road - in the case of a Montreal run, typically the Lacolle crossing. Usually there is no more that one other vehicle ahead. The time savings get you way ahead despite the 10-minute detour. Just watch out for sourly US Customs agents - a few years ago, the one at Mooers NY demanded that I justify why I selected that crossing. Conversely, you may get slowed down by too friendly agents: on my return this weekend, I spent quite a while comparing my European travel notes with the very lonely agent in Stewartstown, NH.


In other words, planning is required, time is always lost.


As a bit of a topic hijack: what helmet do you use? I just got a new Shoei Multitec; despite the seemingly good fit on shorter rides, my earlobes were killing me by the end of a 620-mile day on Sunday. Boy, was I missing my old C2...

rdwalker screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 12:53 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
MotoSailorDC OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MotoSailorDC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Riverdale Park, MD
Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post

Nowadays, I get off the Interstate and take a nearby crossing on a side road - in the case of a Montreal run, typically the Lacolle crossing. Usually there is no more that one other vehicle ahead. The time savings get you way ahead despite the 10-minute detour. Just watch out for sourly US Customs agents - a few years ago, the one at Mooers NY demanded that I justify why I selected that crossing. Conversely, you may get slowed down by too friendly agents: on my return this weekend, I spent quite a while comparing my European travel notes with the very lonely agent in Stewartstown, NH.


As a bit of a topic hijack: what helmet do you use? I just got a new Shoei Multitec; despite the seemingly good fit on shorter rides, my earlobes were killing me by the end of a 620-mile day on Sunday. Boy, was I missing my old C2...
Thanks - i'll look around for some sideroad crossings. As for a helmet, I use a CL-14.
MotoSailorDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014