User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,199
Thumb Become a better rider: invest a weekend at TTC

Just came back from two days of instruction at Trials Training Center (TTC). I am an intermediate trail rider who regularly gets over his head. I particularly found tight downhill switchbacks, off camber turns and logs a challenge, wanted to get better at those and figured trials riding would help. TTC had been in my bucket list for some time and am I glad I went. Facilities are first class, trails and terrain were scenic and challenging, the staff courteous and helpful and the instructors knowledgeable and patient.

Arrival at the shop around Saturday 8:30 am. These are the Gas Gas bikes we rode.

We spent the first couple of hours learning how to make tight turns, figure eights, etc. on an open field with traffic cones. We than spent an hour practicing on fairly flat to moderately steep terrain with trees, again. practicing tight turns. By the time noon came along I was truly tired, ready for lunch. After lunch we spent a couple of hours on a slightly steeper side of a hill going up and down and making more turns. I was exhausted by the time 3 PM rolled around. I couldn't even kickstart the bike consistently after lunch. What a wimp!

Next day I could barely walk. I warmed up doing more turns with the cones, then back to where we had left the afternoon before on the side of that hill…of course it was steeper than it looks yada yada yada:

Then I learned how to wheelie, and how to use the "double blip" technique to get over logs without getting stuck on the bash plate and without taking your feet off the pegs. We started with small logs and progressively moved up to about 30 inches or so. We also practiced how to get unstuck if you are dangling on a log on top of the bash plate…lean back, way back, throttle and throw your body forward. Quite useful. Here I am still trying to figure out why I added a third blip to my technique….

My instructor was fellow inmate dasAUS, on these pics above patiently watching over.

We then practiced rocks "rock garden" for a bit and then we moved over to going up and down creeks, which are quite a workout. By 11:30 am I was toast. Mind you, I consider myself to be in good shape and had specifically been to the gym for a couple of months doing squats just to make sure…to no avail….my quads were gone. After lunch we did a bit of balance work with the bike off, some trail riding, learned going over logs uphill and downhill, then rock ledges and finished up with more trail riding and one last time up the creek section. By the time 2:30 PM rolled around I was truly spent. My legs had totally given up.

Overall a great experience at the TTC weekend clinic. I believe what I learned will make me a much better trail rider and hopefully less of a burden to my riding buddies. If you do go and haven't ridden trials, you can't go to the gym enough times before your to prepare your quads.

Road Reports by ejtv click here
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
MuddySump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Looks like a good day out

www.youtube.com/muddysump
MuddySump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:33 AM   #3
Woodduck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Love the trials riding, so exhausting trying to balance with the motor off.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
i got a trials be to learn to ride about 8 years ago but gave it up as i foud ridering trail bike thought woods ect was more fun
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,177
Moderate spin on 8.5 mile loop at the TTC. On a trials bike of course

http://youtu.be/A9gYuip7qns

Catherine and Charlie do a great job, the owner Dan Brown contribute to the cycling world in a large way. World Cup trials round there next year. Moto Trials is the building block and foundation of all motor sports.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,009
I've always wanted to try trials, too bad I live in the desert not enough logs.

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
dasAUS
n00b

Oddometer: 9
awesome report. you are a true rider, and good sport, so don't go forgetting those basic fundamentals, they can get you through some hairy situations. enjoyed having you and your "RR"S are fascinating. hope to see you in the woods sometime
dasAUS is offline   Reply With Quote