Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #46
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,390
I had that R1150R, never should have got rid of it.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #47
RottVet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Had one

Just to confirm alot of the blather on this site, I owned one. Great bike, fast, excellent slab runner, but not as good in the twisties as I felt it should be. Too cramped for me, my knees and the down/forward pushing seating position made me trade it for a GS. MUCH more comfortable for me and superior handling to boot, at least in my hands! I still think the R is the best looking boxer made! YMMV!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #48
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,820
I sat on one once. Way too short. I'm 6'4".
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #49
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
I'm in the price point camp...expensive for what you get.

(I've owned the R, GS, and RT)

oalvarez screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 10:08 AM
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #50
Oldbutslow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
It strikes me as an imitation UJM at premium price. ,BK
Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #51
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,124
This thread is hilarious!

So many expert opinions on a bike they never owned.

Personally I very much like the fact the BMW doesn't sell too many R1200R's in the US, in general most American riders have real bad taste in bikes anyways IMO, and there's already good insights here as to why this bike doesn't fit the fantasy role as well as others.

My 07' R1200R has 75,000 miles on it, never done a thing to it besides normal service, never been in a shop.
Not even once for repairs. Only been out of service for rebuilding the Ohlins'. That fact alone gives this bike tremendous value both in convenience, trust and no cash out of pocket for me in 5 years.
Maybe people don't see the value in it due to other BMW bike's mechanical problems and assume it will be the same for an 12R and that contributes to low sales....

As for comparing the R to other BMW's.... I've been places where very few 1200GS riders with their much heavier bike probably wouldn't go, and still can give most brand/type bikes a good run for their money in the SoCal canyons on my R1200R.
In between that I can pop on the panniers in 10 seconds and travel/camp two up in total comfort for both of us, with up to a 230 mile range with the OEM 5.5 gallon fuel tank.

I love this bike.
Everyone should buy a bike that really does it for THEM, a bike that fits them physically and emotionally.... we should all be passionate about the bike we own or what's the point?
For me, the R1200R is the perfect motorcycle capable of anything I ask of it, and so much more.

Poor seller? Good.
I hope it stays that way, let the masses move on to other bikes that are better marketed.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 02:06 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #52
Thnks4alltheFsh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Lostrider, Can I just say, Holy Sh*t! Your post should be a BMW add for the R1200R. If I had seen this before I bought my current bike, I might have shelled out the extra.
Thnks4alltheFsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #53
Snapping Twig OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Thumb

The more I read, the more I ride it, I understand how right this bike is for me.

I added the Wonderlich mirror extenders and got to try them out. If your mirrors vibrate, this stops that completely. I bought them to see behind better by moving the mirrors out, but the buzz stopped too, what an excellent and unexpected by-product!

Ordered 'the plug' too, so that should smooth out the surging at low speed in first and second gears.

Gonna ride this bike for a looong time.
Snapping Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #54
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
I went to the dealer to buy a GS but I simply preferred the Rr. I do however think that part of my motivation was that GS's are too common, and where I live, a single tank of fuel and a ferry journey can take me to four different countries so I don't need 400 miles at a time ability.

I copied this from a Google search, I'm sure most of you will have seen it before.

"As far as model go, the BMW R1200GS series still reigns supreme, accounting for 28,866 units in total worldwide (18,413 units for the R1200GS, 10,453 for the R1200GS Adventure). The GS dominance continues with the F800GS selling 9,829 units worldwide, and was followed closely by the BMW R1200RT (9,540 units) & BMW S1000RR (9,044 units). Meanwhile, the recently launched K1600GT/GTL accounted for 8,019 units, while the rest of the line-up broke down as follows; F800R (7,986 units), R1200R (7,310 units), and the F650GS (6,145 units). "
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #55
matapo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
R1200R is in my opinion the best looking boxer.
I really wanted one but couldnt afford one at a time.

No regrets though. I love my GS.

If I could turn back time I would have waited to find an R on my budget.
matapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #56
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
This thread is hilarious!

So many expert opinions on a bike they never owned.

Personally I very much like the fact the BMW doesn't sell too many R1200R's in the US, in general most American riders have real bad taste in bikes anyways IMO, and there's already good insights here as to why this bike doesn't fit the fantasy role as well as others.

My 07' R1200R has 75,000 miles on it, never done a thing to it besides normal service, never been in a shop.
Not even once for repairs. Only been out of service for rebuilding the Ohlins'. That fact alone gives this bike tremendous value both in convenience, trust and no cash out of pocket for me in 5 years.
Maybe people don't see the value in it due to other BMW bike's mechanical problems and assume it will be the same for an 12R and that contributes to low sales....

As for comparing the R to other BMW's.... I've been places where very few 1200GS riders with their much heavier bike would dare go, and still can give any brand/type bike a good run for their money in the SoCal canyons on my R1200R.
In between that I can pop on the panniers in 10 seconds and travel/camp two up in total comfort for both of us, with up to a 230 mile range with the OEM 5.5 gallon fuel tank.

I love this bike.
Everyone should buy a bike that really does it for THEM, a bike that fits them physically and emotionally.... we should all be passionate about the bike we own or what's the point?
For me, the R1200R is the perfect motorcycle capable of anything I ask of it, and so much more.

Poor seller? Good.
I hope it stays that way, let the masses move on to other bikes that are better marketed.
Yeah, that's it. You're snotty omniscience is the only market BMW has for the bike. The rest of we unwashed masses are not only not smart enough to buy a bike like this but also unworthy of it even if we could muster the frontal lobes to make a good decision.
The Proletariat shouldn't be on a bike this good.

I hate this bike every time I ride it. It does not give me wood. I do not fall in love with it ever.
Alas that I had your class and weren't a rotten American with bad taste, unable to make my own decisions.

FYYFF

Why is it that you finding a bike you love that doesn't sell in big numbers means that I'm a dumb American for not buying, but I should "buy the machine I love"?
Just like your bike and be happy, dude.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #57
Woland
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post

FYYFF

Why is it that you finding a bike you love that doesn't sell in big numbers means that I'm a dumb American for not buying, but I should "buy the machine I love"?
It's a well known fact in the R1200R community that we are better than you ;)

BTW, what does float your boat?
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:44 AM   #58
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
It's a well known fact in the R1200R community that we are better than you ;)

BTW, what does float your boat?
At least you're an honest bunch.

When it comes to BMW, I'm all about the turbine-like power of the K Bike line and the S1k.
I never was able to like the boxers, and I've wrenched on and ridden a lot of them.
But, I respect that a lot of people love them like peppered bacon.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #59
CvFactor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43

The maintenance is too expensive. Eventually you'll have to replace the cylinder heads when they become ground down to nubs.
CvFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #60
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,794
Don't have an R1200R, but I've put a lot of miles on a R1150R. I like the bike a lot. I wouldn't buy a 1200 unless something happened to the 1150.