Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #76
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapping Twig View Post
IMO it's the best of, but that's not a sentiment shared by new buyers if I'm to believe various BMW dealerships.

I had a difficult time finding mine, no problem finding the Classic version, but mine - not so much.

What makes it so? Is it the do everything but nothing well? Could it be the lack of protection the RT offers or the off road capability of the GS?

I like naked bikes and with a proper windscreen there's plenty of protection, it's lighter than a RT with most everything else the same, it is better at the twisties than a GS and lower to the ground for stability, and it can go off road if need be.

Your thoughts?

It's a poor seller because it's an ugly bike trying to look like a nice looking bike. With a GS, everyone knows it's going to look like,,,a bit odd. This thing is marketed as a standard, a classic,,,,,it truly is a great machine, but it's frumpy as heck!. Sorry!!

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #77
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
I had an '07 for about four months. Great handling and tons of power. Power wheelies were easy. However, I could never get the windshield sorted. I tried both sizes of the Ztechnik shields with awful buffeting. Stock screen also sucked. I suspect the dirty wind was coming from under the shield around the headlight.

It was a great naked bike and provided very clean air with no screen. However, I was riding with guys on BMW RTs and GTs and after a couple of hours at 80mph+ I was beat to hell.

I didn't find the resale bad but then again I didn't buy it new.
hammick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #78
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I want one REAL bad... I just can't afford it yet!
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #79
mtnxl
Mainjet

Oddometer: 20
R12 Givi setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnxl View Post
I test rode one rode one of these last week, the classic model. Loved the black/white graphics and laced wheels. 60 hp more than my old R80 I'll be trading in for it. Does anybody make luggage racks to fit it that will hold some Givi bags?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT RDHS View Post
No. This pictures their new V35 bags and their mounts wont accomodate my old Monokey cases.
mtnxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #80
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 591
I had an R1 and touring on it with the heat in the frame was draining and after going to a BMW MOA rally (on the R1) I really dug the R1200R and knew it didn't have the heat soak issue like the R1 did, plus optional luggage. I really started to think about it but after watching those weekly shows on Speed about different motorcycle brands and they featured BMW and said the GS model was their number one seller, I started to look into it and decided to get the GSA because I realized i didn't want a bike that did almost all the same things the R1 did but I wanted something that was drastically different if I was really going to switch to BMW from Yamaha.
SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #81
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
http://www.motorsportsofdayton.com/n...29&pov=2650305

Anyone know what this fairings is, and more importantly, can it go away?

Got a 9k mile tripped planned this summer and the thought of taking the Street Triple makes my knees ache..... I sure did like my old 1150R - I imagine the 1200 would be even better....

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #82
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mc View Post
http://www.motorsportsofdayton.com/n...29&pov=2650305

Anyone know what this fairings is, and more importantly, can it go away?

Got a 9k mile tripped planned this summer and the thought of taking the Street Triple makes my knees ache..... I sure did like my old 1150R - I imagine the 1200 would be even better....
Looks like an old R1150RS fairing grafted onto it

The ergo' on the R1200R are a little sporty for my knees - from the cycle ergo site - they both have the same knee bend but the triple has more forward lean

http://cycle-ergo.com/
Old 05-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #83
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
Looks like an old R1150RS fairing grafted onto it

The ergo' on the R1200R are a little sporty for my knees - from the cycle ergo site - they both have the same knee bend but the triple has more forward lean

http://cycle-ergo.com/
Went and looked at it today.... whoever did the mod did a nice job, and it did looked like the RS fairing... Cee bailey windscreen.... the old headlight bracket looked as though it had been saw cut off, albeit pretty cleanly...

Looked good, but just not for me due to the inability to return to stock easily...

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #84
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 592
Most motorcycles are placed in specific market groups, Cruisers, Adventure, Large Tourer, Sport Tourer etc etc. When a bike doesn't fit in one particular group it gets forgotten. Riders are now ingrained that to go to Alaska you need a KTM or GS, to go to Daytona or Sturgis you need a Harley, to go cross country you need a Wing or other Luxo barges. A standard bike is a bargain and can get you anywhere. My favorite thing to see is a rider on his $25,000 GS riding the Dalton meeting a guy on a bicycle from Argentina, get the point? ride what you've got and go anywhere.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #85
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,573
I have an R1150R, tried both the BMW touring screen and sport screen. Not crazy about either one. Then I bought an RMA screen (slightly larger than the BMW sport screen) with an adjustable lamar lip. Works great and looks almost stock.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #86
DanielBarton
One of everything...

Oddometer: 26
Quote:

(From Lost Rider)
I love this bike.
Everyone should buy a bike that really does it for THEM, a bike that fits them physically and emotionally.... we should all be passionate about the bike we own or what's the point?
For me, the R1200R is the perfect motorcycle capable of anything I ask of it, and so much more.

Poor seller? Good.
I hope it stays that way, let the masses move on to other bikes that are better marketed.
This why I bought my RR Classic. I don't give a hoot if they don't sell like everything else. It looks good, rides good and that's what matters to me. I plan on riding my bike as Lost Rider is riding his, no holding back!
2012 BMW R1200R Classic
DanielBarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #87
RForestR
In the Woods

Oddometer: 164
I have an R1150R.
Bought it new off the floor in June of 2006 (it's an '05 model - so I didn't pay stupid money for it)

The bike and I have no intention of parting ways....
It fits me.

She's taken me to the west coast and back in a little under 3 weeks, and I live in Southern Ontario, some 2 hours North of Detroit.

She's taken me to Cape Breton, down the whole of the BRP, the Cherahola, wherever I ask....and maybe most importantly, back and forth the 6 miles to work whenever I ask her to.

I thought I wanted a GS for 5 minutes about a year or so (and I'm pretty sure I still do) but the thought of selling or trading in the RR just gave me fits.

Ugly, weird, un-sexy, whatever...
This bike works for me.

Cheers

...and happy riding
Old 05-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #88
Graemsay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Sure, a fully loaded R1200R is a similar price to an R1200RT, and the R1200GS gets all the sales, but most owners wouldn't trade them.

I've been running one for a year, and it's an easy to ride and comfortable bike. It's fast enough for me, and gives decent fuel economy.

Downsides? Wind protection is minimal, but it is a naked. And I find that the panniers are a bit on the big side, so I don't tend to use them that often.
Graemsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #89
Snapping Twig OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
My R1200R was $15k before tax, lic, and reg. That's WITH the panniers. I spent another $150 for GS hand guards, $150 for the booster plug and another $150 for the Ceebailey wind screen. Add that up and it's well below the price of an RT, well below, many thousands below.

I consider it pretty farkled out, ready for a road trip.

Admittedly the RT offers more features, but can you really compare them head to head for price? I think not.

The R is a bargain compared to the RT, but the RT offers more, no question.

I had the $$ to buy either one and I chose the R because it was lighter which was more important to me at the time.

Still is.
Snapping Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #90
Tin Bender
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I REALLY like the R series. Like the oilhead version and love the black/copper Rockster. Kinda keeping an eye open for one if it pops up at a reasonable price. Save the RT for serious long distance trips.

But I do NOT like the new one. Two reasons...
(1) That damned seat is uglier than sin for one and the big scoop in it reduced the leg room to absolutely nothing. I'm a big galloot (6'3") with sciatic nerve issues so I can not ride with legs/knees scrunched up. At least the previous model allowed some adjustment or easy modification. (See next)
(2) It appears for some silly reason or another BMW fitted the semi rear set footpeg brackets from the S model. Why would you want semi-rear sets on a naked/standard motorcycle is beyond me. Completely screws up the ergos of how a standard motorcycle should be. Your feet should be down below you on a standard, NOT behind you. Very uncomfortable.

Like many of us, we've learned the hard way that BMW OEM seats leave a lot to be desired. Guess that's why I am now on the 3rd set of seats fashioned by Rocky Mayer. But if this is someones 1st bike or someones 1st move into BMW's I'm sure they will be more than a little miffed to realize this is a BAD seat design for long distance riding. To learn that correcting the design will be costly would probably turn a number of riders off.

I've come to the conclusion the people that design seats NEVER actually ride on them or they are subscribers to the Marqui De Sade's philosophy????

I just came back from Irv Seaver's 100th yr. celebration, rode several new beemers. Absolutely LOVE the new 1200 camhead. Wonderful powerplant and it shifts as nicely as a Honda now. But even the RT seat is so damned soft, cushy and unsupportive I can anticipate a very sore rump in just a few hours.

Just my 0.02 cents worth.....
Tin Bender is offline   Reply With Quote