Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGlueRyan View Post
Feel free to throw rotten fruit/vegetables at me as well.
No need. You admitted you were a moron

Sorry about your injuries I hope you are walking normally again very soon.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #17
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,403
[QUOTE=SuperGlueRyan;18657484I really want to do a track day, honestly! Cornering and the technicalities of it have become one of the most interesting/fun things since I've started riding. I consider myself a decent rider, other than the number of above stated fails. I've really learned that I need to take time to evaluate situations a bit more and respect the limitations of myself and the machine. [/QUOTE]

If you're really interested in learning cornering technicallites and applying that to street survival, try to find a course like this one:

http://team-oregon.org/training/advancedridertraining/

nearer you. This was a much better investment in street cornering skills than a trackday; I know, I've done both. Trackdays are a hoot and as an old roadracer I try to do at least a couple a year, but for the majority of folks who took the ART course, the improvement both in skills and their obviously better understanding of not only what to do but WHY to do it was significant and obvious.

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #18
outlaws justice
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Very good write up and perspective on what you did and did not do!

I have had students push a little hard at times and have always managed to slow them down before they get hurt.

Was doing the test at West Point for a group of Cadets once and had one student on a 250 Ninja come into the trun (135 degree turn) really hot, He did everything right, just really fast. managed to make the curve with a time of 2.11 (Should be under 2.9) even managed to have the peg touch down. Needless to say I was a little nervous as I watched it all transpire but there was not a problem. It was the fastest I have ever had a student do that curve.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Sucks to be you! Wish that hadn't happened, but I understand completely. It's pretty easy to get carried away on a small bike on these courses.

I did my MSF on a brand new KLX250S. I had a blast with it!!! I was flicking the bike side-to-side on the cone weave, barely coming off a straight line path. Loads of fun. I had to laugh, because the guys on the huge bikes were scraping their footboards on the pavement.

The only thing I did consistently wrong was the fact that I was always going too fast. The instructors told me once or twice to slow down. Fortunately for me, there were no fails, and I passed with flying colors.

Good luck to you on your next class... try to keep it under 30 MPH!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
BLU HWY
Guilty By-Stander

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
If you're really interested in learning cornering technicallites and applying that to street survival, try to find a course like this one:

http://team-oregon.org/training/advancedridertraining/

Steve
ART Team Oregon!
Did this one Monday. GoKart track. A really great time!
Class in the morning. Afternoon drills; throttle control, panic braking, swerving, et al.

Lotsa' laps, one direction then reversed direction; drills in between.
Get setup & off the brakes before the hairpin. DAMHIK.

Now how do I get a key to this place!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
yzmaico
Slacker

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Haha, I wouldn't mind having worn those! I really should have just worn my Escape pants, I blew a good chuck of cash on gear to try to avoid injuries like this. I also wish that I could find some taller riding boots that would fit my fat calves. Yeah, I think that I should add that... 4) Gear in the garage doesn't help a rider on the road.

I really want to do a track day, honestly! Cornering and the technicalities of it have become one of the most interesting/fun things since I've started riding. I consider myself a decent rider, other than the number of above stated fails. I've really learned that I need to take time to evaluate situations a bit more and respect the limitations of myself and the machine.
I've seen some hefty guy's flying in the Advanced classes at track days.

When you do your first Trackday, sign up for a all day Novice only class, you'll learn so much more, but definitely pay attention to the instructors, Trackdays can be painful also when you color outside the lines
yzmaico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #22
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
I had my bike for a month before the MSF and had done some practicing with my permit so I was fairly confident I'd do well.

That little ancient CB125 would rail around the long curve; I was told to slow down a few times, and that third gear was entirely unnecessary.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #23
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,908
Gaerne boots fit fat calves.

I wear my pressure suit and my knee/shin guards even when riding street. I'd rather sweat than bleed.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
Madrox
Like a bat out of hell

Oddometer: 167
Calves on Dainese boots are adjustable and expand quite significantly.
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #25
tallnbig68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Pissed

Quote:
I was on a DR-200 with nice fresh knobbies (fail #2), which I was excited about since I really have my eye on something in the DR series 350, Z400, or 650. Being 6'1" and 350 lbs I'm sure that I looked ridiculous.
As someone similar however much larger in size and weight was advised you'd be better off not
even taking the course. In my case had ridden since age 15, that was 45 years of riding
before being felled by cancer, surgery and chemo. Thought I'd at least try again. The comment
back to me was simple; you're almost seven foot tall, weigh 450 pounds and you want to ride again
after what you've been through? We strongly advise against ever trying to ride anything, again.
Mind any machine I rode in the past had to be radically modified to handle my size.
Bought an new Honda Ridgeline truck in lieu of a motorcycle, and even that is difficult
to get in and out of. Am just too damn tall and heavy! And chemo weakens one's system horribly!
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible. – Bertrand Russell
tallnbig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #26
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
a guy that rode to the class on a bike and failed the class and rode home.... on a bike.

haha same thing happened when I took it
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #27
grisezd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
To the OP, thanks for you honesty. I instructed for about 7 years and stopped enjoying it at about year 5, mostly because every class had 3-4 students riding like you had been and getting little or nothing from the class. I consider myself a "sport" rider and would always try to re-direct the hotdogs into working on the building blocks of good speed (smooth, consistent, entries that allow progressive throttle roll on, the eyes, etc) and had good success with some of them. But those that wouldn't listen I would tend to stop helping. There's something for any rider in that two days, if you want it!

Regarding some mention of instructors shouting, over-coaching, etc: The program that the BRC replaced was drill-sargent-based. We were asked to be stern, to give criticism to every rider regardless of their performance, and essentially to be nearly unpleasant. The new program is kinder, gentler, and it's now more up to the student to learn. I like it. Others didn't change with it. In a way, it was nice to be paired with an old-school instructor, as we'd end up doing "good cop, bad cop"!

Thanks again for the honesty. Spread the word, and I hope your instructors get to see this.
grisezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #28
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
Gaerne boots fit fat calves.

I wear my pressure suit and my knee/shin guards even when riding street. I'd rather sweat than bleed.
I just wish someone made moto boots in a 13EE.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #29
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 163
urbanXJ

I saw the picture of the knee pads where are they from working guy store or motorcycle? They look like the pads workers use to apply for a raise on the job. It is very hot here in El Paso summers I sometimes leave off my armor pants because of heat. I never thought about those knee pads.
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #30
Izzy3
Freak of Unnature

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
I just wish someone made moto boots in a 13EE.
You can get them, just have to $pecial order them.