Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #31
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy3 View Post
You can get them, just have to $pecial order them.
What I figured. Normal boots for me until I win the lottery.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #32
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnbig68 View Post
The comment
back to me was simple; you're almost seven foot tall, weigh 450 pounds and you want to ride again
after what you've been through? We strongly advise against ever trying to ride anything, again.

6' 11", 320lb here.

Tiger fits me pretty well...

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #33
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGlueRyan View Post
I'm fairly sure that I would have been fine on about any other bike. Any other lessons that this noob should have learned from this?

Feel free to throw rotten fruit/vegetables at me as well.
yeah. You were "fairly sure" that you would have been fine on the DR200. Perhaps rather than being "fairly sure", you should be "very familiar" with a bike you're planning on hot-dogging on. Fortunately, you've demonstrated that you can learn, so there's hope fer ya.

Heal up, hope you'll be healthy enough for your trip.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #34
SuperGlueRyan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Stupid does hurt...

I still can't seem to get my left foot on the peg and the ortho docs seem to think that I've torn my MCL and PCL in my knee. I still have hopes for my week long riding/camping trip that starts next Thursday, but it's not looking too good. I guess that I'll find out after my CAT scan when/if I'll be having sugery.

Funny thing is that I was talking to a friend of mine who is a fresh rider, maybe 15 miles in his log book (I'm helping him get his KZ440 running) and he is convinced that he isn't going to wear a helmet or anything while doing parking lot drills since he thinks that there isn't any real risk. Even after seeing me being jacked up from basically the same thing that he is talking about. I pushed it too hard, but he doesn't know yet what counts as pushing too hard. Hopefully he'll learn from me that stupid hurts.
SuperGlueRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #35
Sanders
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 662
Good on ya' for your honesty, and for recognizing the disruption to the class. Empathy is lacking in many, many individuals today. Appears to me you've got the right attitdude about the whole thing and riding in general. You'll be fine, and, I think you'll make a fine motorcyclist. As others have said you prolly learned more from this closed circuit get-off than if you had just passed...
...and BTW Holy Shit 7000 miles in 6 months! Hell Yeah!

Sanders

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #36
Unca Fud
nrpetersen

Oddometer: 241
At 73 yrs old, BLU HWY got me dizzy just watching his video! Nice crisp turn entries & exits. Enjoyed anyway!
Unca Fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #37
mr. matteeanne
Bender can pass him

Oddometer: 14,273
Not to hijak the thread but if you look at the data your company with 2/3rd of motorcycles wreckers who simply lacked experience which caused the accident.
I know I learned a lot about bikes the hard way, as a result in my "old age", I ride safe and have fun, in contrast with having fun and riding safe.

A major work done on this subject in the USA is the Hurt Report, published in 1981 with data collected in Los Angeles and the surrounding rural areas.[7] There have been longstanding calls for a new safety study in the US, and Congress has provided the seed money for such a project, but as yet the remainder of the funding has not all been pledged.[8]
The Hurt Report concluded with a list of 55 findings, as well as several major recommendations for law enforcement and legislation. Among these, 75% of motorcycle accidents involved collision with another vehicle, usually a car. In the MAIDS report, the figure is 60%.
Other notable findings in the Hurt report (quoted below) were:[9]
  • 75% of accidents were found to involve a motorcycle and a passenger vehicle, while the remaining 25% of accidents were single motorcycle accidents.
  • "In the single vehicle accidents, motorcycle rider error was present as the accident precipitating factor in about two-thirds of the cases, with the typical error being a slide-out and fall due to overbraking or running wide on a curve due to excess speed or under-cornering."
  • "Almost half of the fatal accidents show alcohol involvement" and "injury severity increases with speed, alcohol involvement and motorcycle size."
  • In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.
  • The report's additional findings show that the wearing of appropriate gear, specifically, helmets and durable garment, mitigates crash injuries substantially.
  • "Vehicle failure accounted for less than 3% of these motorcycle accidents, and most of those were single vehicle accidents where control was lost due to a puncture flat" and "Weather is not a factor in 98% of motorcycle accidents."
  • "The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents... Conspicuity of the motorcycle is a critical factor in the multiple vehicle accidents, and accident involvement is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps-on In daylight and the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets."
Old 05-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #38
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGlueRyan View Post
Oh, the rebels are the worst! I had to ride one for the first day of the MSF when I took it before and I couldn't turn for anything since my knees sat right between the handle bars and the tank. The Coaches kept yelling at me to turn the bars more so I started taking my feet off of the pegs so that I could and then they kept yelling at me to keep my feet on the pegs. I imagine that is how basic training might feel like, there's no good option but there is always someone to yell at you for what you chose.
I resemble that remark! I've put about 2800 miles on my Rebel (the Wee Beastie) in the last 5 months and still loving it (including an 800 mile trip) This summer I've got 5 weeks to goof around - I'm meeting up with family in southern Utah for some atv riding and then its off to? (might need to find my passport) Its been a great first bike (I'm 5'9" and "rubenesque") and I honestly think I'll be riding it for quite some time (especially at 75 - 80 mpg)

Its funny how everybody seems to find "their bike"

When I took the brc the company had a bunch of 150s. The one I was on had been dropped so many times that the tank was flat on both side and the maker's name had been completely obliterated!
Little Bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #39
Nightrunner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
I agree with others who said good honest post. Frankly I'm a bit surprised the instructors didn't slow you down before you dropped it. Once or twice too fast in a maneuver is one thing but it sounds like they had plenty of time to say something to you. Oh well, sounds like you learned a lot! Better than dropping it out in traffic.

Some places remain unknown because no one has ever ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.
Nightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #40
Nightrunner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. matteeanne View Post
A major work done on this subject in the USA is the Hurt Report, published in 1981 with data collected in Los Angeles and the surrounding rural areas.[7] There have been longstanding calls for a new safety study in the US, and Congress has provided the seed money for such a project, but as yet the remainder of the funding has not all been pledged.[8]
Interesting. I did not know the "new Hurt report" was on hold. I thought the project was awarded/funded years ago. Too bad. A lot has changed since '81. Sport bikes are a lot faster. Touring bikes are a lot heavier. More people riding. Helmets and other protective gear are much better and more prevalent. I would expect some of the findings to be quite different this time.

Some places remain unknown because no one has ever ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.
Nightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #41
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Ha.....I can ALMOST match you with my story.....

Been riding for 25 plus years when my wife hits me with suggestion that we take the class together. She wanted to get her license so she could go along with my son and I on trips, on her own bike. I'm thinking great, so we sign up for the class...Friday evening classroom, Sat a day on the parking lot, and Sunday another day on the parking lot with the final riding test in the afternoon. Friday, no problem had already read the book and wife seemed to enjoy it. Saturday, I am using a Tw200 and having a ball. Not much riding, but the bike is lots of fun for the little bit of riding we are doing. Starts, stops, basic riding skills etc. On Sunday, I noticed that a few of my classmates seem to be having some problems, including my wife. I propose to the Instructers that we change up some bikes so that the ones having problems can get on some of the newer, supposedly easier to ride bikes. So I end up on an old Kawaski 125 Eliminator, which is a total piece of crap bike...........and I am a Kaw fan (ZRX, Concours, Zr7s, KLR to name a few).

After lunch, on Sunday, we are basically turned loose to practice on our own. Told to practice whichever part of the course we might feel the need to work on before the final test. Some people head over to the figure 8 box, some to the curve.
NOBODY heads over to the panic brake area, so I decide I will play there for awhile. First couple of times I go through and no problem, low speed and this is getting boring. So hey, let's wind this little 125 out a bit and see what it will do, Just for the fun of it, OK? Know what a Redneck's last words are?.......... "Watch this!". . So there I go, 1st, 2nd, shift into 3rd, and grab a big handful of front brake. Let me tell you folks, I faceplanted so quick I never knew what happened. Scraped up my helmet, broke my face shield, tore my long sleeve jean shirt, scraped up my elbow. Picked myself up, looked around and the Instructer, seeing I am OK, just laughs. Then, he says it is time for the test, and would I mind taking it first? I get back on the bike and noticed that the handlebar was just a bit bent, but I sure didn't want to tell him that, at that point......waited until later for that fun, thank you very much.

Anyway, took the test, aced it. My wife failed to negotiate the turn correctly and failed...:(
However, she was able to practice some more on a Ninja 250, instead of a Rebal cruiser and has since learned to handle a small bike and/or scooter with some skill.

I learned a couple of very valuable lessons that day...

1st......be very wary when riding a bike you are not familiar with.
2nd....never again say "Watch This!"......
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #42
HBarlow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I'm sorry about your class failure and injury but like everyone else has already said, I admire you for your display of character. I'm assuming you are a young man which makes your honesty and acceptance of personal responsibility even more impressive. Those traits are sadly lacking in our culture now, even in men and women twice your age.

You'll do fine when you return for the class and will be a better rider in the future.
HBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #43
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 556
This is hilarious, glad you are ok (wouldn't be as funny if you really hurt yourself), you are my hero for owning up to this bit of failure.
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #44
SuperGlueRyan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Thanks for everyone's comments! No matter how much I may not want it, I've never been one to shy away from owning my mistakes. If I try to blame it on the bike, course, tires, instructors I'm guaranteed not to learn a damn thing and fall into the "it just happened, nothing that I could have done to stop it" mentality.

As it turns out, the MRI confirmed that I completely tore my MCL and PCL. The doctors are hoping that the MCL will scar back in, but it looks like my PCL is gone for good. They said that it's unlikely that they could fix it surgically and that one won't scar back in; the upside is that I should still have mostly normal use of my knee without it after some period of rehab.

After a miserable 200+ mile ride the weekend before my trip, I decided to bail on riding it. I could barely finish that 200 miles and that was with several rest stops... the idea of 7 days and 2500+ miles sounded pretty awful. The my buddy that was going to ride with me ended up stealing his wife's Fiesta and we took 4 days to go check out D.C., the Harley factory in York, PA, Niagara Falls and some Urals in Cleveland. Mostly taking secondary roads and sort of deciding a route and where we wanted to go while on the road. Not exactly a riding trip, but it still turned out to be a blast!

That's been a couple weeks back and now I'm riding again with very little pain/discomfort: commutes, errands, joy rides, etc. While I couldn't ride, I gave the beemer its first wash/wax since before I bought it... so there's that!
SuperGlueRyan is offline   Reply With Quote