User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
BlueSkyGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
I rode a Victory Cross Country yesterday

Impressed, I have owned, rented, begged, and borrowed pver 150 motorcycles and this one is impessive. For a touring/cruiser it's just great.
BlueSkyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
What, no pictures? You mean I have to "Google" it myself?

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
I got a test ride on a Cross Country Tour last weekend. Comfort, handling, aero, enough power (spoiled by my Roadster), and a ton of features. I admit to a fondness for Victory (like Vicster wasn't a good enough clue), but even with that, I was pretty impressed. Doesn't hurt that it's the only one of the genre with enough leg room for me either.
Thinkin' I'll make an offer Saturday...
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Modus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I test rode one last spring. Nice bike but the head buffeting from the wind at highway speed was horrendous. The salesman acknowledged it was an issue for most people and the first thing people did was change the windscreen. Maybe victory got the message and have improved it?
Modus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modus View Post
I test rode one last spring. Nice bike but the head buffeting from the wind at highway speed was horrendous.

Maybe victory got the message and have improved it?
I noticed it on the first one I rode, but the second demo day I rode one with the taller windscreen and it was great.

I haven't ridden the tour model yet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
Doesn't hurt that it's the only one of the genre with enough leg room for me either.
I really like the CC as well, and as you say it fits. So does this one for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
They just can't let go of that Bozo The Clown styling can they?

JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
BlueSkyGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Most do

Quote:
I test rode one last spring. Nice bike but the head buffeting from the wind at highway speed was horrendous. The salesman acknowledged it was an issue for most people and the first thing people did was change the windscreen. Maybe victory got the message and have improved it?

Few motorcycles have been dialed in for air flow, lucky for everyone such a large aftermarket exists to do just that.
BlueSkyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyGuy View Post
Impressed, I have owned, rented, begged, and borrowed pver 150 motorcycles and this one is impessive. For a touring/cruiser it's just great.
you made it cross country in one day? ya gotta slow down...
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyGuy View Post
Few motorcycles have been dialed in for air flow, lucky for everyone such a large aftermarket exists to do just that.
+1 I'm 6'2" with a relatively long torso and arms. You might be 5'3" with short legs and big feet, what makes anyone think one windshield will work for all riders?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
Modus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
+1 I'm 6'2" with a relatively long torso and arms. You might be 5'3" with short legs and big feet, what makes anyone think one windshield will work for all riders?
I've been riding for 40+ years so yeah, I get that one windshield does not work for everyone. I'm not talking about "dialed in" I'm talking about rideable. One of the bikes I had at the time I took the test ride was a Wee Strom, a bike not noted for sleek aerodynamics allowing it to slip effortlessly through the air with hardly a ripple. I know about buffeting. The Cross Country was so bad after 5 minutes on the freeway I was looking for an exit. Like I said before, the salesman acknowledged it was an issue and I went on a couple of Victory forums after and it was a common topic, 5'3" or 6' 3" didn't matter.

Victory markets the Cross Country as a touring bike, and it's not cheap. It surprised me they let the bike out of the factory that way. Didn't anyone test ride it before they finalized the design? If so many people were having an issue I would hope Victory did something about it, sounds like maybe they did.

All I'm saying is if anyone is going for a test ride make sure you do some highway riding so you know what you are getting.

That is all.
Modus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
jersey jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
I've been riding for 40+ years so yeah, I get that one windshield does not work for everyone. I'm not talking about "dialed in" I'm talking about rideable. One of the bikes I had at the time I took the test ride was a Wee Strom, a bike not noted for sleek aerodynamics allowing it to slip effortlessly through the air with hardly a ripple. I know about buffeting. The Cross Country was so bad after 5 minutes on the freeway I was looking for an exit. Like I said before, the salesman acknowledged it was an issue and I went on a couple of Victory forums after and it was a common topic, 5'3" or 6' 3" didn't matter.

Victory markets the Cross Country as a touring bike, and it's not cheap. It surprised me they let the bike out of the factory that way. Didn't anyone test ride it before they finalized the design? If so many people were having an issue I would hope Victory did something about it, sounds like maybe they did.

All I'm saying is if anyone is going for a test ride make sure you do some highway riding so you know what you are getting.

That is all.
You can probably blame the marketing department, shorty windshields are the in thing with the custom bagger set at the moment, look at the HD Street Glide and Roadglide Custom.

I like the looks of the short screens, but would probably end up with an aftermarket screen on any of these bikes.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
vicster
Studly Adventurer

I have to agree with Modus. I test rode an XC with the short shield and the buffeting wasn't too bad for me (6'7", 38" inseam), but was not as good as I thought a "touring" bike should be. The demo truck dude assured me the XC with the tall shield and lowers would work fine for me so I tried it next. By the time I hit the top of second, I couldn't wait to get off it, the bouncing on the top of my helmet was so bad. Owners report various cures such as the Ness lowers and Klockwerks shield, both of which are available from the Victory catalog.
When I test rode the XC Tour, wind noise and buffeting were a non issue for me. At 65mph on a slightly windy day with a little rain thrown in, if I concentrated on it I could detect the sound, but not feel, of buffeting. This without my usual ear plugs in. This is a big deal for me as buffeting is the deal breaker for me on a touring bike. I leave in a few days on a big trip and have decided to not even put the shield back on my Roadster as I'd rather just deal with the wind pressure than the noise and buffeting.
If I go the full boat touring bike thing, the XC is it, as my past Victory ownership has been great and this thing works for me. Plus I like that it already comes with cruise control, heated grips, heated seat, adjustable floorboards, etc, etc. I also like the quick oil changes and that the bag pops right off so you can easily check rear tire pressure without having to lay on the ground.
What's the warranty on these now? 100,000 miles on the trans, and 3 years on the rest of the bike? I've gotten confused with all the different sales gimmicks announced over the winter.

2tallnwide, I like the Yamaha too, but to me it's just a bat wing and bags on a cruiser. To my way of thinking the XC Tour is a couple steps above that in features and design. Which is reflected in the price unfortunately.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey jim View Post
You can probably blame the marketing department, shorty windshields are the in thing with the custom bagger set at the moment, look at the HD Street Glide and Roadglide Custom.

I like the looks of the short screens, but would probably end up with an aftermarket screen on any of these bikes.
Actually some people can design a short screen that works. When I bought my K1200r the dealer (of course) had bolted on the optional short sport screen (or something) and it looked like the most useless POS I'd ever seen. However, it punches through the wind with remarkable effect.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
vicster
Studly Adventurer

You're not wrong, Scrannel, aerodynamics are a bitch that doesn't always respond to logic.
As stated above, for ME, the short screen on the XC was actually better than the tall.
Not to get too far OT, but, Re Buffeting:
One of the best bikes I've ridden? KTM950SM. One of the worst? KTM950A.
My DR with a BC Lynx fairing with shield on? Bad. Without the shield? Real good.
My '02 Vic' with factory windshield? Bad. With Harley batwing? Real good.

IMO that's why test rides are so important. I'm no longer willing to buy a buffeting bike hoping I'll be able to cure the problem a few hundred $$$$ later..
Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #15
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 436
I test rode a XC today, I am 5'11', did NOT ride the freeway on our dealer demo loop, but did do 80 MPH uphill and had the buffeting, even at lower speeds. The BIKE is very impressive, great suspension, no vibration.
even test rode the arlen ness Vison- no buffeting on that model..... but the XC would be a better ride after trying windshields out that work.

the Ness Vison

the Cross Country

ReferJohn screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 11:21 PM
ReferJohn is offline   Reply With Quote