Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
ShastaKLR OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Importing tracks to google maps on droid x

Hello

I have been using gpsvisualizer.com to view tracks on google earth and google maps on my pc. What I would like to do is have these tracks show up on google maps on my phone so I can use them to navigate from my X.

The bottom line is I would like to have google maps or Earth open on my phone with the gps enabled so I can see the satalitte imagery, the downloaded track, and my current location as I ride.

Any chance of this happening?

Thanks, Matt

PS I am a teacher and live in redding so I have the summer off and their is tons or riding around here so get in touch if you are headed this was and want to ride?
ShastaKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,803
Have you tried My Tracks? It uses Google Maps and can Import and Export track. I have just played with it a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastaKLR View Post
Hello

I have been using gpsvisualizer.com to view tracks on google earth and google maps on my pc. What I would like to do is have these tracks show up on google maps on my phone so I can use them to navigate from my X.

The bottom line is I would like to have google maps or Earth open on my phone with the gps enabled so I can see the satalitte imagery, the downloaded track, and my current location as I ride.

Any chance of this happening?

Thanks, Matt

PS I am a teacher and live in redding so I have the summer off and their is tons or riding around here so get in touch if you are headed this was and want to ride?

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Have you tried My Tracks? It uses Google Maps and can Import and Export track. I have just played with it a little.
Been a while since I played with that app, but when I did it was export only.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
It's been a while since I used GPSVisualizer; however, if memory serves me, don't they provide a way to export your track to a file on your computer? If so, you can use GPSBabel to convert the track file to a KML file. The KML output file (from GPSBabel) can then be imported into your Google "My Maps" account for viewing. I outlined the conversion process in another post. However, I do not believe you will be able to view both your current position (in Google Maps) and the saved track in Google's My Maps, at the same time. I may be wrong about this last part, so let us know if you learn otherwise.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Been a while since I played with that app, but when I did it was export only.

It will import tracks from the SD card. From a specific folder you set up. And it is import all the files only so you have the manage the files in a particular folder. They have to be in a gpx file and when you export you can export all or selected. Then there are features i have no tried to send to google and share. Does not do a lot but looks fairly simple.

Wee Strommin along.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,679
from GE, save as a KML, then go to maps.google.com and click on my places, then Create Map. Follow the instructions to create "your map"

Then on your phone, tap the layers button in the upper right corner and select my maps, then select the map. The advantage to this of course, is having the track and then you can follow the track and cache the map for future use. The distinct disadvantage is that you must have a data connection to load the track each time.

My tracks doesn't cache the tiles.

DualSportMaps does however. the app is spendy compared to the others, but the features are all there. There is a thread in the vendors aisle.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

I went for a bicycle ride this evening and left My Tracks running on my Bionic. After 45 minutes it ask to shut off My Tracks to save the battery but does not shut off. Then I was able to share the track in Google Maps.

Wee Strommin along.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 989
I do this.

Use OSMand. It will use Google maps, or a dozen other map types.
Place the GPX file with your tracks on the android in the OSMand folder.
I the app, just open the file.
Your tracks are now on your Android.

I have also used EveryTrail. Import the tracks, points and/or photos to the Everytrail web site. They view the trails on the Android app.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
ShastaKLR OP
Adventurer

Thank you guys

I went on a ride today and used my tracks to record it. The I was able to view it in google maps (on pmy pc). Then I logged in on my phone and there it was. I havent checked if the same map will show my location at the same time.

I will try the other techniques too. I really appreciate the feedback.

PS: If i am using maps and I ride out of range will the track still show up without the map? So I can still follow it?

Thanks, Matt
Old 05-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
ShastaKLR OP
Adventurer

Heres my track from the day. Quick 40 miles...25 dirt. Beautiful.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 5_12_2012 1_37 PM.gpx (539.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastaKLR View Post
Thank you guys

I went on a ride today and used my tracks to record it. The I was able to view it in google maps (on pmy pc). Then I logged in on my phone and there it was. I havent checked if the same map will show my location at the same time.

I will try the other techniques too. I really appreciate the feedback.

PS: If i am using maps and I ride out of range will the track still show up without the map? So I can still follow it?

Thanks, Matt
On my bionic I can put it in airplane mode then turn on the GPS. It will track without a map. There is a paid app that you can install maps so I can make the Bionic mofew like a GPS. I think is was an astronomical $12. It was Back Country Navigator Pro. I thinks maps were extra.

Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 07:25 PM