ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #916
blue72beetle
Look at my Wee

Oddometer: 144
I debated whether to post this or not, as it's a single frame, but I did play with it in photoshop using tonemapping and shadow/highlight, but I like the way it turned out.
I'd like to do more HDR photography, unfortunately my camera only does 3 frame bracketing.

blue72beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #917
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulebiker View Post
I just think that the use of the term HDR for anything that is tonemapped (blame Trey!!!) is the reason HDR has got such a bad name.
Technically, you are correct. But be careful when you nitpick, as it can, and frequently will, backfire on you. Just sayin'.

Quote:
As soon as it became popular on the net people started churning out single jpg HDRs that were best described as clown vomit. I am not one of those people who insist on 100% photorealisim but im sure you know the type of images I mean.
"Clown vomit" can be churned out in disgusting volumes via a variety of methods, thanks to the proliferation of digital cameras with oodles of gigabytes of memory and programs like Photomatrix and Photoshop. But it is not exclusive to such. Some people can produce clown vomit with the barest necessities.

Quote:
The reason I really don't like the term is it is used to describe any image processed by HDR software now. There is non HDR software for example Topaz Adjust which are designed for tonemapping single images. Topaz adjust does not have HDR capability (cannot work on an HDRi file or merge images). It just tonemapped single images for effect. The result is that with a single jpg you are doing exactly the same thing using topaz adjust or with photomatix. Guess which one is called HDR and which isnt? If just running an image through the right program makes it HDR I could write a script that would run my whole image library through photomatix on the default setting and make my whole library HDR! In face my HDR images might come out as HHDR! It just diminishes the effort made by people doing "proper" HDR using tripods, shutter releases, calculating the amount of exposures needed etc etc then spending tones of time in photomatix/photoshop trying to fix all the imperfections and make a realistic looking image.
The purist will always look down on someone doing similar work by a simpler method. What matters to the viewer is the end result, not the method by which it was accomplished. And clearly, some viewers prefer extreme HDR/tonemapping effect while others prefer that such processes not be noticeable. After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:
Anyway bitching aside as long as people are enjoying the images they are making it doesn't really matter. This thread has made me want to go out and takes some photos now, TGIF
In the end, I will continue to call the photos that I put through Photomatix "HDR's" whether they are tonemapped, fused images, or technically correct High Dynamic Range composites. Reason: It's a heck of a lot quicker to type "HDR" than "tone-mapped".
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #918
JimRidesThis
Local celebrity

Oddometer: 227
Those kind people at Photomatix gave me a free licence for Pro. At last an advantage to working in Arts education. Any teachers/lecturers/instructors out there automatically get a 60% discount - which brings Pro down to the price of Essentials. If you teach/instruct photography (or as in my case) graphic design, you might well get a free licence. I know you can pick up a hack licence easily, but I always prefer to 'pay the price' for useful software so development can take place.

I've got to say, I'm really inspired by all your HDR'd pics, even the 'over-processed' ones :-) I just need to get out and take some photos to experiment with now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1995 R1100GS aka "Herr Flick"
1985 XL600R aka "Tamworth"

JimRidesThis screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 09:45 AM
JimRidesThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #919
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,469
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #920
JimRidesThis
Local celebrity

Talking Italy 2012

Just playing with jpegs from last year's trip to Austria & Italy...

JimRidesThis screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 02:24 PM
Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #921
JimRidesThis
Local celebrity

And another...

IMG_1546

Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #922
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Don't sweat it. Your photo looks good. For me, the technical details of HDR aren't my thing - only that the photo looks good.

I've seen some that look life-like, others that look like water color paintings. Right or wrong, if the scene and effect looks good, it's successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue72beetle View Post
I debated whether to post this or not, as it's a single frame, but I did play with it in photoshop using tonemapping and shadow/highlight, but I like the way it turned out.
I'd like to do more HDR photography, unfortunately my camera only does 3 frame bracketing.

2012 Concours 1400 | 2008 Z1000 | 1999 WR-400F
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #923
crazyman
Exiled to the swamp

Oddometer: 1,121
While out riding yesterday, I decided to take a few shots with my little point and shoot camera. I'm not gonna take my dslr out on the road.
Anyhow, I have been using Nik(Google) HDR Efex Pro for a while as I wasn't to pleased with the Photomatix Essentials I had been using. I recently splurged and bought the Photomatix Pro. So, here are a few comparison shots processed in each program.

These are single exposure jpegs.
1. HDR Efex Pro

2. Photomatix Pro
Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #924
crazyman
Exiled to the swamp

Second set. I notice from using both programs a lot, that Photomatix gives a particular effect with the lighting. HDR Efex Pro seems to produce more 'natural' looks.

1. HDR Efex Pro

2. Photomatix Pro
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #925
crazyman
Exiled to the swamp

And the last set for comparison.

1. HDR Efex Pro

2. Photomatix Pro

I find I use both programs for different effect. Just more tools in the toolbox.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #926
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman View Post
I find I use both programs for different effect. Just more tools in the toolbox.
I absolutely agree. Nice set crazyman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue72beetle View Post

blue72beetle, That is a perfectly cool use of HDR. The bike is sitting in the shadows and the background is lit by sunlight. The original probably looked pretty uninteresting. Very nice processing.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #927
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
I shot a few more recently.
VERY creative use of HDR

Reality becomes part of the mural.

I'm just telling you straight up I'm going to steal this idea and try something similar myself

Been looking at this thread off and on and find the photos interesting as well as the debate as to what HDR "really" is and its legitimacy. Experimented a bit myself with it on landscape scenes thinking it would be my answer to the Dynamic Range limitations of cameras I've previously owned. I think I like both, the "fanatasy" type of processing as well as the "real". My own personal definition of "real" would be the ones where I can't tell it's HDR, which is what I was striving for and never quite got there. My current camera has enough DR in the raw files to pull shadows and tame highlights for what I do, so I kind of got out of HDR, but really enjoy looking at these.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #928
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,944
Thanks Desert Dave. If I were to shoot that mural again, I would position my bike to the other side of the painted one and would assume the same pose as the cowboy as though we were racing.

EDIT: BTW your photography is excellent. I would love to start seeing some HDRs from you.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #929
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krime View Post

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #930
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Thumb Two Exteme Examples, Both Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post

A great example of different ways of processing HDR's, each with its own appeal.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote