Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
TX750. Is this engine noise normal. And. Watch a $40 bike take out a $1,000 camera!!

Well. Technically the bike didn't take out the camera. The stupid owner did. And yes. That would be me. :

First vid is just the noise. I've read these thing's were noisy. But is this too much noise. And don't go hatin on the TX. I know all about it. This is a free motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfRm6hRzuGE

Here's where it gets funny. This was a very expensive camera at one time. I knew I should have tied it on. Anyone know where I can send a Panasonic FZ20 to get fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nS2p...ature=youtu.be
CalsXS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,073
Totally normal for that engine. The "clack-a, clack-a" sound at idle is normal. THAT is the frightening noise that caused my Dad to counsel me to sell the bike, back in the day. Balancer chain is what does it. remember what I said about CHECK balancer chain backlash, add adjustable kit to ensure reliability.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Totally normal for that engine. The "clack-a, clack-a" sound at idle is normal. THAT is the frightening noise that caused my Dad to counsel me to sell the bike, back in the day. Balancer chain is what does it. remember what I said about CHECK balancer chain backlash, add adjustable kit to ensure reliability.
So,,, in your opinion,,, should I just run this motor that does not have the balancer chain. Or should I use this motor to try and fix my original motor that has all the upgrade's.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 425
too funny. super deal
Old 04-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalsXS2 View Post
So,,, in your opinion,,, should I just run this motor that does not have the balancer chain. Or should I use this motor to try and fix my original motor that has all the upgrade's.
All up to you. Will you put miles on this bike?
I'd take the upgrades from the other engine and add them to this one.. it's FAR EASIER/QUICKER. Is the other engine a '74? Or a retrofitted '73? S/N tells the story.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
concours
WFO for 41 years

extremely important you harvest ALL the parts, and install per procedure.
http://www.tobyfolwick.com/tx750/textual/pbadj_1.php
Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
farmrjohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Whew, my 74 makes similar sounds, didn't know if it was the cam chain or the balancer chain. I couldn't tell from the service bulletins, but how often does the adjustable balancer chain need to be adjusted? The engine seems to have very little vibration (haven't taken it beyond 6000 rpm though).

Mine also smoked a lot from the left cylinder when I got it (looked like the DDT mosquito sprayers from my youth), so the engine got new guide seals, new rings, and new valves. Doesn't smoke at all now.
farmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
concours
WFO for 41 years

Here it gives us a wear limit of 3.5mm backlash for the balancer chain. My bike at 16,000 miles was less than half that
http://www.tobyfolwick.com/tx750/textual/pbadj_2.php
Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmrjohn View Post
Whew, my 74 makes similar sounds, didn't know if it was the cam chain or the balancer chain. I couldn't tell from the service bulletins, but how often does the adjustable balancer chain need to be adjusted? The engine seems to have very little vibration (haven't taken it beyond 6000 rpm though).

Mine also smoked a lot from the left cylinder when I got it (looked like the DDT mosquito sprayers from my youth), so the engine got new guide seals, new rings, and new valves. Doesn't smoke at all now.
Good job! I think 2500 miles to check balancer chain is what I saw in a bulletin somewhere. '74 is very reliable. Problems were all addressed, but because of the failures, not many were sold (the word was out)
Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
All up to you. Will you put miles on this bike?
I'd take the upgrades from the other engine and add them to this one.. it's FAR EASIER/QUICKER. Is the other engine a '74? Or a retrofitted '73? S/N tells the story.
I guess you would call my original motor a 73 retrofit. It doesn't have a serial number. Just a cross hatch pattern across where the serial number would be. But the bike has less than 5,000 mile's on it. How many miles can that motor have.

I asked a old time Yamaha dealer about it having a replacement motor. He said they didn't change the complete motor. They just changed just the case's. He then said he would sell me a pair for $500. Don't know if he was serious about having them or not.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #11
TX-Aussie
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalsXS2 View Post
Well. Technically the bike didn't take out the camera. The stupid owner did. And yes. That would be me. :

First vid is just the noise. I've read these thing's were noisy. But is this too much noise. And don't go hatin on the TX. I know all about it. This is a free motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfRm6hRzuGE

Here's where it gets funny. This was a very expensive camera at one time. I knew I should have tied it on. Anyone know where I can send a Panasonic FZ20 to get fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nS2p...ature=youtu.be
The main reason it's making that noise is it's so far out of tune. If these things are tuned properly they start very easily & can be taken off the choke within 30 sec or so & will settle down to a smooth idle - in the warmer months you don't need choke at all - and they won't make that noise. The balancer chain worn or not has little affect on how smooth idle is. The goods news is the motor doesn't sound too bad at higher revs - the general condition of the bike looks pretty good - not bad for $40!!
TX-Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #12
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Aussie View Post
The main reason it's making that noise is it's so far out of tune. If these things are tuned properly they start very easily & can be taken off the choke within 30 sec or so & will settle down to a smooth idle - in the warmer months you don't need choke at all - and they won't make that noise. The balancer chain worn or not has little affect on how smooth idle is. The goods news is the motor doesn't sound too bad at higher revs - the general condition of the bike looks pretty good - not bad for $40!!
Totally agree, idle sync seems way off. I listened three times, thought it was idling on 1 cyl, but after much review, settled on just idle sync.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #13
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Totally agree, idle sync seems way off. I listened three times, thought it was idling on 1 cyl, but after much review, settled on just idle sync.

You guy's are good. The idle sync is off. I just redid the carb's again. These carb's are borrowed off of my 72 XS650. I have a popping out the exhaust I'm chasing down. It does it mostly at idle.

I'll be getting 1 size bigger pilot's in the mail today. So I didn't go too crazy with adjusting everything until I take the carb's apart again.

The below is copied from another post about why I took the carb's apart.

I just took my carb's apart because one had the float sticking occasionally an pouring gas out. So I pull the float needle assembly and there was 10 little rock's in a perfect circle just setting there. No wonder my float was sticking. I actually thought it was cat litter because that's what it looks like. And, I use cat litter in my garage for oil dry. But it's rocks. I couldn't resist biting it. Now I think I chipped a tooth. People will ask me what happened to your tooth. I'll have to say,,,"I been eatin rock's".

I don't know how this is even possible. I rebuilt these carb's last year and only ran them on my XS650 for about 10 miles with out a fuel filter. I had a brand new Detroit Bros tank. And I did flush it out and oiled it before I used it.

Then this year I've been running them on my TX750. But it's always had filter's. And I cleaned that tank as well. The rock's had to have all ready been in there. I can drive my self nuts trying to figure out where they came from.

Oh. And you know what they say. It didn't happen with out picture's. :bike:

Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
concours
WFO for 41 years

That's crop circle shit right there...