ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CalsXS2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 120
TX750. Is this engine noise normal. And. Watch a $40 bike take out a $1,000 camera!!

Well. Technically the bike didn't take out the camera. The stupid owner did. And yes. That would be me. :

First vid is just the noise. I've read these thing's were noisy. But is this too much noise. And don't go hatin on the TX. I know all about it. This is a free motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfRm6hRzuGE



Here's where it gets funny. This was a very expensive camera at one time. I knew I should have tied it on. Anyone know where I can send a Panasonic FZ20 to get fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nS2p...ature=youtu.be
CalsXS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,073
Totally normal for that engine. The "clack-a, clack-a" sound at idle is normal. THAT is the frightening noise that caused my Dad to counsel me to sell the bike, back in the day. Balancer chain is what does it. remember what I said about CHECK balancer chain backlash, add adjustable kit to ensure reliability.
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....
concours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CalsXS2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Totally normal for that engine. The "clack-a, clack-a" sound at idle is normal. THAT is the frightening noise that caused my Dad to counsel me to sell the bike, back in the day. Balancer chain is what does it. remember what I said about CHECK balancer chain backlash, add adjustable kit to ensure reliability.
So,,, in your opinion,,, should I just run this motor that does not have the balancer chain. Or should I use this motor to try and fix my original motor that has all the upgrade's.
CalsXS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: n.o. la.
Oddometer: 425
too funny. super deal
__________________
tiger 1050
wrecked'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalsXS2 View Post
So,,, in your opinion,,, should I just run this motor that does not have the balancer chain. Or should I use this motor to try and fix my original motor that has all the upgrade's.
All up to you. Will you put miles on this bike?
I'd take the upgrades from the other engine and add them to this one.. it's FAR EASIER/QUICKER. Is the other engine a '74? Or a retrofitted '73? S/N tells the story.
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....
concours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,073
extremely important you harvest ALL the parts, and install per procedure.
http://www.tobyfolwick.com/tx750/textual/pbadj_1.php
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....
concours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
farmrjohn
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Cali. 93441
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Totally normal for that engine. The "clack-a, clack-a" sound at idle is normal. THAT is the frightening noise that caused my Dad to counsel me to sell the bike, back in the day. Balancer chain is what does it. remember what I said about CHECK balancer chain backlash, add adjustable kit to ensure reliability.
Whew, my 74 makes similar sounds, didn't know if it was the cam chain or the balancer chain. I couldn't tell from the service bulletins, but how often does the adjustable balancer chain need to be adjusted? The engine seems to have very little vibration (haven't taken it beyond 6000 rpm though).

Mine also smoked a lot from the left cylinder when I got it (looked like the DDT mosquito sprayers from my youth), so the engine got new guide seals, new rings, and new valves. Doesn't smoke at all now.
farmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,073
Here it gives us a wear limit of 3.5mm backlash for the balancer chain. My bike at 16,000 miles was less than half that
http://www.tobyfolwick.com/tx750/textual/pbadj_2.php
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....
concours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmrjohn View Post
Whew, my 74 makes similar sounds, didn't know if it was the cam chain or the balancer chain. I couldn't tell from the service bulletins, but how often does the adjustable balancer chain need to be adjusted? The engine seems to have very little vibration (haven't taken it beyond 6000 rpm though).

Mine also smoked a lot from the left cylinder when I got it (looked like the DDT mosquito sprayers from my youth), so the engine got new guide seals, new rings, and new valves. Doesn't smoke at all now.
Good job! I think 2500 miles to check balancer chain is what I saw in a bulletin somewhere. '74 is very reliable. Problems were all addressed, but because of the failures, not many were sold (the word was out)
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....
concours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CalsXS2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
All up to you. Will you put miles on this bike?
I'd take the upgrades from the other engine and add them to this one.. it's FAR EASIER/QUICKER. Is the other engine a '74? Or a retrofitted '73? S/N tells the story.
I guess you would call my original motor a 73 retrofit. It doesn't have a serial number. Just a cross hatch pattern across where the serial number would be. But the bike has less than 5,000 mile's on it. How many miles can that motor have.

I asked a old time Yamaha dealer about it having a replacement motor. He said they didn't change the complete motor. They just changed just the case's. He then said he would sell me a pair for $500. Don't know if he was serious about having them or not.
CalsXS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #11
TX-Aussie
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalsXS2 View Post
Well. Technically the bike didn't take out the camera. The stupid owner did. And yes. That would be me. :

First vid is just the noise. I've read these thing's were noisy. But is this too much noise. And don't go hatin on the TX. I know all about it. This is a free motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfRm6hRzuGE



Here's where it gets funny. This was a very expensive camera at one time. I knew I should have tied it on. Anyone know where I can send a Panasonic FZ20 to get fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nS2p...ature=youtu.be
The main reason it's making that noise is it's so far out of tune. If these things are tuned properly they start very easily & can be taken off the choke within 30 sec or so & will settle down to a smooth idle - in the warmer months you don't need choke at all - and they won't make that noise. The balancer chain worn or not has little affect on how smooth idle is. The goods news is the motor doesn't sound too bad at higher revs - the general condition of the bike looks pretty good - not bad for $40!!
TX-Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #12
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Aussie View Post
The main reason it's making that noise is it's so far out of tune. If these things are tuned properly they start very easily & can be taken off the choke within 30 sec or so & will settle down to a smooth idle - in the warmer months you don't need choke at all - and they won't make that noise. The balancer chain worn or not has little affect on how smooth idle is. The goods news is the motor doesn't sound too bad at higher revs - the general condition of the bike looks pretty good - not bad for $40!!
Totally agree, idle sync seems way off. I listened three times, thought it was idling on 1 cyl, but after much review, settled on just idle sync.
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....
concours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #13
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CalsXS2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Totally agree, idle sync seems way off. I listened three times, thought it was idling on 1 cyl, but after much review, settled on just idle sync.

You guy's are good. The idle sync is off. I just redid the carb's again. These carb's are borrowed off of my 72 XS650. I have a popping out the exhaust I'm chasing down. It does it mostly at idle.

I'll be getting 1 size bigger pilot's in the mail today. So I didn't go too crazy with adjusting everything until I take the carb's apart again.

The below is copied from another post about why I took the carb's apart.

I just took my carb's apart because one had the float sticking occasionally an pouring gas out. So I pull the float needle assembly and there was 10 little rock's in a perfect circle just setting there. No wonder my float was sticking. I actually thought it was cat litter because that's what it looks like. And, I use cat litter in my garage for oil dry. But it's rocks. I couldn't resist biting it. Now I think I chipped a tooth. People will ask me what happened to your tooth. I'll have to say,,,"I been eatin rock's".

I don't know how this is even possible. I rebuilt these carb's last year and only ran them on my XS650 for about 10 miles with out a fuel filter. I had a brand new Detroit Bros tank. And I did flush it out and oiled it before I used it.

Then this year I've been running them on my TX750. But it's always had filter's. And I cleaned that tank as well. The rock's had to have all ready been in there. I can drive my self nuts trying to figure out where they came from.


Oh. And you know what they say. It didn't happen with out picture's. :bike:

CalsXS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,073
That's crop circle shit right there...
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....
concours is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014