Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #46
fire1998
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
We have a 3 man team on an XR650. This will be our first V To R race. Were all stoked!! Were planning on a moose up front and a UHD tube in rear. What rear and front tire would you guys use on the BRP? Also have you buys booked a room yet? Just hot online and the rooms are $499 foe wed and Thurs. That's steep!
fire1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #47
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,459
do yourself a favor get a camper or van and sleep at the start.. that or get a room in Beatty.. its a long 100 mi from vegas to be at the start at 530 am.. after a contegency night racers meeting that goes till 7 or 8 pm eat before the meeting .. get to bed early.. its a LONG day after a LONG day of registration inspeciton and meetings in 100 degree heat...
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #48
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
do yourself a favor get a camper or van and sleep at the start.. that or get a room in Beatty.. its a long 100 mi from vegas to be at the start at 530 am.. after a contegency night racers meeting that goes till 7 or 8 pm eat before the meeting .. get to bed early.. its a LONG day after a LONG day of registration inspeciton and meetings in 100 degree heat...
What happen to starting in Gean?
That first
100 miles to Beaty was a blast!
Silt,Rocks! Sand! Cross grain! And
Fast pole line roads!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #49
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

amargosa toad . or some crap.. no running the river wash anymore
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 05-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #50
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,151
GOOD LUCK JEREMY!

ill be following this

and your other exploits...

cheers

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #51
Racer20
East West Racing

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
So you are saying the meeting is in vegas thur night but the race will start in Beatty fri morn at 5;30? want to plan things ahead for a change.
Racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #52
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
So you are saying the meeting is in vegas thur night but the race will start in Beatty fri morn at 5;30? want to plan things ahead for a change.
Yes !!!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #53
fire1998
Adventurer

For a 3 man team race this long are you guys splitting it in 3 legs or doing it in 50-60 mile splits? This is our first race of this distance. If I'm correct the last 2 pits are not reachable for pitting??? Throw any info or suggestions you have, I'd appreciate it!!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #54
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

there is a certain inmate that always travels out to the rawhide remote pit (2nd to last) and will certainly try to help if he makes it ... Im sure he will chime in when the time is right.. the last pit is just off the freeway but a long way around to Dayton...
Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #55
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire1998 View Post
For a 3 man team race this long are you guys splitting it in 3 legs or doing it in 50-60 mile splits? This is our first race of this distance. If I'm correct the last 2 pits are not reachable for pitting??? Throw any info or suggestions you have, I'd appreciate it!!
That depends on your riders. Are they used to 150 miles at once or 30 miles then a break. If you switch more you stay fresher but its harder logistically and you have to get ready to ride a lot more times.

It takes me awhile to get into the grove so I would rather ride over 150 mile sections... 500+ miles seems to be perfect. :) it all depends on what your used to.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #56
fire1998
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
That depends on your riders. Are they used to 150 miles at once or 30 miles then a break. If you switch more you stay fresher but its harder logistically and you have to get ready to ride a lot more times.

It takes me awhile to get into the grove so I would rather ride over 150 mile sections... 500+ miles seems to be perfect. :) it all depends on what your used to.
We are all used to enduros and hare scrambles. The longest Ive been on a bike in a race is probably 70-80 miles but that's not desert speed. Were all pretty good riders in the fast stuff but a 160 miles is a long way. I'm afraid of losing concentration while riding that distance. Maybe a rider change at each pit would be best for us. This is the first time on the BRP for 2 of us. Never ridden a bike that heavy. I'm currently on a Husky X-lite TC250 which weighs 220lbs. Big difference!!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #57
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,767
Quote:
We are all used to enduros and hare scrambles. The longest Ive been on a bike in a race is probably 70-80 miles but that's not desert speed. Were all pretty good riders in the fast stuff but a 160 miles is a long way. I'm afraid of losing concentration while riding that distance. Maybe a rider change at each pit would be best for us. This is the first time on the BRP for 2 of us. Never ridden a bike that heavy. I'm currently on a Husky X-lite TC250 which weighs 220lbs. Big difference!!
If your able to do 70-80 mile hare scrambles you shouldn't have a problem switching every few pits or 120+ miles. I think every pits would be tough and you would have to fly in the chase truck to beat the bike on a few of them.

The terrain is really fast so you will cover 120 in the same time it would take to do a 70-80 mile hare scramble. And don't worry about the heavy brp it will feel great. Nice and stable.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #58
Kanook
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
We have a 3 man team on an XR650. This will be our first V To R race. Were all stoked!! Were planning on a moose up front and a UHD tube in rear. What rear and front tire would you guys use on the BRP? Also have you buys booked a room yet? Just hot online and the rooms are $499 foe wed and Thurs. That's steep!
I ran the Bridgestone ed78 gritty on my 650r and it was the only tire I could get more than 400 miles out of. It's durable and a hard compound so you loose a little in traction. Up front ive been happy with the Dunlop mx71.
I booked the overflow hotel early, santa fe station for Wednesday night and it was just over $100 I also sent my reservation in for Grand Sierra in Reno and it was $69.
Quote:
Quote:
there is a certain inmate that always travels out to the rawhide remote pit (2nd to last) and will certainly try to help if he makes it ... Im sure he will chime in when the time is right.. the last pit is just off the freeway but a long way around to Dayton...
Is this "remote pit" confirmed? I was under the impression that all pits were easily exsessible. I was hoping to not buy any pit service.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #59
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

for the last 4 years rawhide has been a pit.. but im sure the guy will probably be out there with a splash of gas for a brother... I have done all my BITD racing with one guy chasing me and we were greenhorns but with Casey's pit books and roadbook for pit crews it makes it really easy.. dont sweat pitting.. sweat the possible 20 hour race ..if you are problem free maybe 14 hrs
Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #60
fire1998
Adventurer

Yea I was thinking the Bridgestone ED77 up front. Ill have to look for the ED78. Rockymountain doesn't carry them. Definitely using moose up front. Don't know about moose in rear. Ive heard they melt at high speeds. But were not pros averaging 55miles an hour either. Will a rear moose hold up?

fire1998 screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 10:01 PM