Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #76
Kanook
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonridn View Post
hhmmmm. my ears were burning.(thanks for the heads up mike)

of course i plan to be at rawhide again this year. why wouldn't i want to hang out in the hottest, most desolate and remote pit on the whole racecourse?
if anyone needs gas and support at rawhide please message me here.my services come cheap. and it for sure makes it easier on yourselves than trying to have your chaser get in and out and stay head of you. frankly it can't be done.

let me know,

craig
Count me in for asking for your support. My chase crew has done this race before but your remote pit service will be needed. I'll pm you with more info.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #77
zack05
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:

of course i plan to be at rawhide again this year. why wouldn't i want to hang out in the hottest, most desolate and remote pit on the whole racecourse?
if anyone needs gas and support at rawhide please message me here.my services come cheap. and it for sure makes it easier on yourselves than trying to have your chaser get in and out and stay head of you. frankly it can't be done.

let me know,

craig
gonridn,
can a chase vehicle drive in to rawhide from Gabbs, then go back out to Gabbs before the race is over? In other words, can my second chase vehicle get in and back out to meet up with the rest of our crew at the finish?
Thanks
zack05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #78
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Pilo, your V2R/Baja1000 thread is terrific. I've read it through and wanted to say thanks for putting it all down. The information is incredibly helpful, and it was actually just the kick that I needed to make the commitment to do this race.
Thanks. I'm glad it helped. I could not have done any of it without other people literal and keyboard support.

Also, if it helps with motivation I saw boobies after the Rawhyde pit. The ladies were getting ready for the TT's (no pun intended!) to come through...

Craig - Thanks for your help last year.
pilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #79
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post

Also, if it helps with motivation I saw boobies after the Rawhyde pit.
Well, That solidifies it then. Thanks!
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #80
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
Well, That solidifies it then. Thanks!
Our first rider in the 1000 went by a Mexican pounding a girl from behind right of the side of the course. The guy just looked over and smiled. Gotta love desert racing.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #81
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 392
Oh hell yes

In!
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:44 AM   #82
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Damn! I was seriously pumped about this, especially with the possibility of hooking up with the other east coast guys for transportation.

Then I realized my mother is getting (re)married that weekend. As much as I'd like to tell her I won't be there, I doubt that would fly.

Maybe next year...
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #83
Genghis Swan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:

let me know,

craig
I'm in, thanks for doing this. I'll PM you
Genghis Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #84
gonridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
i don't think it is possible to make from gabbs to the rawhide pit before your racer gets there. while the road in is very good dirt the distances are such that you would have to drive at trophy truck pace to beat them there. to get out you would go north and connect with hwy 50 instead of backtracking. its about a not quite 2 hour drive from there to the finish in dayton. say
2 1/2 hours to 3 altogether from the pit area with traffic and all. i have done it but not by much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack05 View Post
gonridn,
can a chase vehicle drive in to rawhide from Gabbs, then go back out to Gabbs before the race is over? In other words, can my second chase vehicle get in and back out to meet up with the rest of our crew at the finish?
Thanks
Old 05-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #85
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,282
Quote:

let me know,

craig

Dude you ROCK !! Yet another year out in BFE!! Way to help out!

I may see you out there but may just wave if I am on the rally bike
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #86
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Looks like I am pretty much committed on doing this. Probably going to send in my entry next week.

Will be doing ironman and was originally thinking amature but after what Baja Dad said I do like the idea of an extra hour head start on the trucks by entering in the pro class. However someone else mentioned possible issues with their insurance if they enter in the pro class. Any other pros or cons of either? As I recall it is something like $200 or $300 difference on the entry fee but that is a pretty small chunk of what it is going to cost me to do this race.

Since I am most obviously not a "pro" rider would they even allow me to enter the pro class? Or is it open to anybodty willing to pay the higher entry fee?
drc42,
Just to clarify, Casey doesn't offer an Ironman class in the Pro ranks, only in Amateur and Expert. That being said, plenty of pros have raced solo (Max Eddy last year and Quinn Cody the year before) when they could have had a partner. Also, the year that I ran ironman expert (2006) there were a few pro's that dropped back into the expert class so they could compete ironman. As for finishing before the trucks, I got third expert ironman in '06 and I was only 15 mintues ahead of the first truck at the finish line. Unless you're going to be in the top 5 or so in the class, you'll encounter trucks/buggy's in either the expert or the amateur divisions. There'll just be fewer if you start expert ironman.

Now, for those trying to figure out their pits, you've got some work to do. First, you need to go out and flog your race bike until it runs out of gas. last year we were racing my Husaberg 550 so I set up a 10 mile loop north of Reno. I included some fast roads, some sand washes, and even some hillclimbs. The goal was to set up a loop that was certain to use fuel at a faster rate than we would during the actual race. We did 8 laps which totalled about 82 miles with the stock fuel tank and we were running on fuel in the float bowl. That way, I knew that we were limited to about 70 to 75 miles with some margin of error.

Then, wait for Casey to send out the course map with mileages between pits. I guarantee that you'll be able to skip a few unless you're running a two stroke with a stock tank (I'll get to that later). I had two goals to accomplish when trying to set up my pit schedule. I wanted to maximize the strengths of myself and my partners (for instance, I used to work at the Nevada Automotive Test Center which just happens to be near the finish line and I am very familiar with the roads in the area - so I wanted to be on the bike for the last leg). I also wanted to avoid having to fuel at the remote pits. In '06 there were two remote pits. I don't remember how many there were last year but Rawhide was a remote pit in every V to R I've done (3 total).

Setting up my pit schedule was quite difficult seeing as how we had three riders and two trucks. I had to make sure that the correct truck with the correct rider was at the correct pit at the correct time. I had to create a spreadsheet for this that included chase mileages as well as race mileages. That was the only way to keep it all straight. Then, to make matters more difficult, there was rumor of road construction and delays for the pit crews. I created a pit schedule for that too.

This will all be easier for the ironman classes. You won't be going as fast as a team with a fresh rider every few hours and you don't need to coordinate several riders. This makes it more likely that a single truck can pit for you. That's not a guarantee though. I beat my pit crew to the Top Gun pit in '06. Thankfully another pit crew fueled me and sent me on my way. They were also kind enough to inform my pit crew when they did finally show up.

Now for the two stroke story. We were racing a team on a KTM 250 all day last year. They had a dry break and we didn't so, at the pits where we both stopped, they would beat us out of the pit. But, they had to stop at every pit because their bike was really drinking the gas and we could skip pits so we'd pass them back. I passed them twice on the course when they ran out of gas and were pouring some from a backup bottle. We actually ended up banging bars coming into the final pit because of this. Good times!

Tom
Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #87
zack05
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
i don't think it is possible to make from gabbs to the rawhide pit before your racer gets there. while the road in is very good dirt the distances are such that you would have to drive at trophy truck pace to beat them there. to get out you would go north and connect with hwy 50 instead of backtracking. its about a not quite 2 hour drive from there to the finish in dayton. say
2 1/2 hours to 3 altogether from the pit area with traffic and all. i have done it but not by much.
Ok, I got some better maps and can see that I was confused about getting in to Rawhide. So it looks like the main chase truck will stay on 95 and we will split off from each other at pit 10 near Luning. They will continue on to meet up at pit 15 on ALT 95. My second chase vehicle will be coming from Reno and head east on Hwy. 80 to 50, past Fallon, then turn south on 839 to meet up with me at the Rawhide pit, then backtrack to Dayton. Does this sound correct? (I realize this year's maps are not out yet and this is subject to change). Thanks to all and anyone who can help me put this together!
zack05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #88
B1KSOLO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoMoto View Post
Inmates:

I'm in for Amateur Ironman again this year. After a DNF last year at mile 275 due to lean jetting and melty piston, I need a finish to repair my self confidence.

Fun:

Not fun:

V2R Pics from 2011

More fun in 2012!
I'm In
I had similar problems at RM 400, had little get off and broke my light going into the night ( I need some redemption)
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #89
fire1998
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Anyone know what kinda mileage you can get out of wan XR 650 with an IMS 3.4 tank? Also what headlight would you guys recommend?
fire1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #90
gonridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
zack05, that is more correct. but why beat yourself and your chasers up? the reason i go out there to rawhide is to save your guy's resources a little bit. i'll pit for anyone and stick around until everyone is through.i would be happy to handle the pit for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack05 View Post
Ok, I got some better maps and can see that I was confused about getting in to Rawhide. So it looks like the main chase truck will stay on 95 and we will split off from each other at pit 10 near Luning. They will continue on to meet up at pit 15 on ALT 95. My second chase vehicle will be coming from Reno and head east on Hwy. 80 to 50, past Fallon, then turn south on 839 to meet up with me at the Rawhide pit, then backtrack to Dayton. Does this sound correct? (I realize this year's maps are not out yet and this is subject to change). Thanks to all and anyone who can help me put this together!