Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
You are going to trade Idaho for Ca./Nv./ Or dessert stretches.????......Ugh! If you incorporate the potato state once north of boise A WAYS go from Grangeville down to Kooskia, Then Orofino, Thenthe back way to Kendrick by the reservoir, then up to St Maries, then Harrison and along Lk Coeur d'Alene, you would not be sorry.
N-Id-Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Id-Jim View Post
You are going to trade Idaho for Ca./Nv./ Or dessert stretches.????......Ugh! If you incorporate the potato state once north of boise A WAYS go from Grangeville down to Kooskia, Then Orofino, Thenthe back way to Kendrick by the reservoir, then up to St Maries, then Harrison and along Lk Coeur d'Alene, you would not be sorry.
Unfortunately we just wouldn't have the time for the first route. The way you suggest would be something like this (wouldn't it also take us through some pretty barren stretches?):
Google map here

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
I'm assuming that each green dot on your map is an overnight stop. I believe you could go further on some of your days than you've planned. For instance, Day 1 you could probably get to Eureka, or at least further north than Mendocino (nothing wrong with Mendocino, but it's pretty much in your backyard, you can go there anytime.... on the other hand, you can't get a two week trip into Oregon and Washington very often.... unless you have a trust fund or made a mint in some internet start-up.... ) Personally, I would use the extra time to do more east-west rides on the twisty mountain roads in Oregon and Washington. Same with the Sierras, best roads are east-west, but again, those you can do in a weekend. Looks like a great trip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
Thinking that with the time that we have available (14 days), this might be the way to go. This will give us a few additional days for places like Seattle, Victoria and Ucluelet. This has us taking the coast pretty much all the way up. I added Crater Lake as most of you suggested. Anything else you would recommend for the trip back south?

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #19
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
]Unfortunately we just wouldn't have the time for the first route. The way you suggest would be something like this (wouldn't it also take us through some pretty barren stretches?):
Google map here

If you were to go from Grangeville, ID to Cambridge,ID, (which would include a really cool stretch of the Salmon River).. at cambridge you could drop down into Hells canyon,, google it.. then form there to Baker City.. then head toward Steens maybe?? (If you had time there is a spectacular route form near Oxbow, FS Rd 39, paved to Joseph OR)..

IF you reveres the loop to CCW direction you could also do the really cool trip from Seattle down to Hood River as suggested, then cut over to the coast

Looks like an awesome trip have fun!
N-Id-Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #20
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Id-Jim View Post
You are going to trade Idaho for Ca./Nv./ Or dessert stretches.????......Ugh!.
I've never objected to dessert stretches...I'm always on the lookout for ice cream, fudge, chocolate cake....
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post
I'm assuming that each green dot on your map is an overnight stop. I believe you could go further on some of your days than you've planned. For instance, Day 1 you could probably get to Eureka, or at least further north than Mendocino (nothing wrong with Mendocino, but it's pretty much in your backyard, you can go there anytime.... on the other hand, you can't get a two week trip into Oregon and Washington very often.... unless you have a trust fund or made a mint in some internet start-up.... ) Personally, I would use the extra time to do more east-west rides on the twisty mountain roads in Oregon and Washington. Same with the Sierras, best roads are east-west, but again, those you can do in a weekend. Looks like a great trip!!
I appreciate the input lvscrvs. I guess the trouble is trying to get this all in while still visiting the destinations we had in mind (Seattle, Victoria, etc.). I'm racking my brains (and burning up google maps trying to work in something like what you're saying).

The trip is about the journey, but we want to enjoy the destinations too. Hopefully staying a couple of days in a few of those spots. We'll see

Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #22
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
I've never objected to dessert stretches...I'm always on the lookout for ice cream, fudge, chocolate cake....
LOL.....that's funny. Yes, I too would prefer the DESSERT stretches to the DESERT stretches.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #23
cycletlh
Slower than yesterday!

Oddometer: 118
Keep your northern route. Then as others have recommended Hwy 20 over the Cascades to Winthrop and Omak is worth adding. Then WA 155 to Grand Coulee and Grand Coulee Dam then 174 and 2 to Spokane. Would really encourage you to take Spokane to Lewiston to Asotin, down and up Rattlesnake to Enterprise OR. West on 82 to LaGrande, W on 244 to 395 S to 26 W to Prineville. Another really good ride. Then to Crater Lake to Grants Pass. Crater Lake to Grants Pass is a great ride. Time permitting over to Crescent City on Redwood Hwy and Home.

That would be my choice. Check it out, I think you have time, I think you will be happy you did.
cycletlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #24
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycletlh View Post
Keep your northern route. Then as others have recommended Hwy 20 over the Cascades to Winthrop and Omak is worth adding. Then WA 155 to Grand Coulee and Grand Coulee Dam then 174 and 2 to Spokane. Would really encourage you to take Spokane to Lewiston to Asotin, down and up Rattlesnake to Enterprise OR. West on 82 to LaGrande, W on 244 to 395 S to 26 W to Prineville. Another really good ride. Then to Crater Lake to Grants Pass. Crater Lake to Grants Pass is a great ride. Time permitting over to Crescent City on Redwood Hwy and Home.

That would be my choice. Check it out, I think you have time, I think you will be happy you did.
Taking some of the advice here. This is what we have so far:
Route Link HERE

Old 06-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #25
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Any other must see places along the way? I've routed us to Crater Lake and we'll also pass thru places like John Day Fossil Beds National Monument? Anything else you'd recommend?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #26
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,603
don't miss lost coast/matole rd in cali!!!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #27
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
don't miss lost coast/matole rd in cali!!!
Talk about one way in, one way out!!! I've heard of that area and we've talked about heading out that way to camp someday. At some point we'll have to do it.