Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #16
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
I don't have a KTM, but I had a 908RR on the back of my TE610 for a while.

I don't know what some of these guys are talking about with regard to the tire being good in wet conditions. In my opinion, it is at its worst in wet conditions, and it significantly worse than a "regular" knobby in wet. The tire has very few biting edges, and lots of flat surfaces, so when it gets wet and you get on a damp rock or logs/roots, it's just a wet, slippery, flat mess.

For gravel road use, and for TAT-type trips, I think it's probably a pretty good tires, it rides well and lasts well. If you're going to trail ride, I recommend looking elsewhere.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
Too much high speed tar? Not enough pressure? I have used heaps of them in over 70,000km and get about 7000km till bald, then they are still good for big powerslides... all on the stock 4.25" rim.
+1 for this comment, although on Southwest hardpack they get spooky once they really get bald. Also, on the stock width rim, if you lean it a long way over on the tarmac...let's just say it's a little squirmy. The side lugs aren't real stable just on account of aspect ratio, and on the wide rim, you can sort of run over the edge of them pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
I don't have a KTM, but I had a 908RR on the back of my TE610 for a while.

I don't know what some of these guys are talking about with regard to the tire being good in wet conditions. In my opinion, it is at its worst in wet conditions, and it significantly worse than a "regular" knobby in wet. The tire has very few biting edges, and lots of flat surfaces, so when it gets wet and you get on a damp rock or logs/roots, it's just a wet, slippery, flat mess.
This is not a valid comparison at all...On a bike this heavy(try a couple hundred pounds more than the TE610) you have to have a lot of flat faces to roll on if you want it to last at all. And, the knobs have to be wider than they are tall for the most part or it will simply rip them right off.

Wet traction in anything but deep mud or loamy soil has a lot less to do with tread shape and edge count than with rubber compound and carcass rigidity, IMO. The D908RR is definitely slippery when wet, as the compound is pretty hard and the carcass is so stiff that the tire can't really flatten out and conform even when aired down to sub-20psi numbers. With the weight of the Adventure on it, the compound is tolerable on the street in the wet and even in streambeds and the like, but on a lighter bike there just isn't enough weight to make enough friction for it to work right.

hilslamer screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 09:25 AM
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
I love the 908, I get around 2500 miles out of them, which seems pretty good to me. I like the fact that it is really hard to get a pinch flat, the sidewalls are so stiff. I bought 3 tires when Bike Bandit had them 40% off last year, getting these tires for $120 versus $195 is pretty sweet. All the other tires I have tried, including the Mefo,all get around the same mileage, 2500 to 2800 before they shot.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
With all the talk of the TAT, is the mefo super explorer a good option for such a trip rather than the 908?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #20
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
This is not a valid comparison at all...On a bike this heavy(try a couple hundred pounds more than the TE610) you have to have a lot of flat faces to roll on if you want it to last at all. And, the knobs have to be wider than they are tall for the most part or it will simply rip them right off.

Wet traction in anything but deep mud or loamy soil has a lot less to do with tread shape and edge count than with rubber compound and carcass rigidity, IMO. The D908RR is definitely slippery when wet, as the compound is pretty hard and the carcass is so stiff that the tire can't really flatten out and conform even when aired down to sub-20psi numbers. With the weight of the Adventure on it, the compound is tolerable on the street in the wet and even in streambeds and the like, but on a lighter bike there just isn't enough weight to make enough friction for it to work right.
No doubt the bikes are different. However, I don't think that a tire that sucks (in my opinion) on my TE is going to magically be amazing on a SE/ADV, with or without the extra weight.

In any case, guys car do what they want. These tires were "popular" with the 610 guys too. I tired one, and I found that it didn't live up to my expectations under certain conditions, and I was hoping to pass that along.

For gravel road and pavement type of dual sport use, it is a great tire.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #21
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
No doubt the bikes are different. However, I don't think that a tire that sucks (in my opinion) on my TE is going to magically be amazing on a SE/ADV, with or without the extra weight.
The 908 was designed by Dunlop specifically for the KTM 950. Putting them on a much lighter bike is like putting truck tires on your compact car. They will suck at that application.

1000 CBR
200 KDX

Old 05-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #22
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Coming from a TKC 80 rear, I can tell you, that the 908RR (rear) is an amazing tire:) (IMO!!! the TKC80 (front & rear) is one of the worst tires, I feel that even the scorps outperform it on/off road)
Back to the 908RR (rear) vs. TKC80 (rear): Off-road grip is like night and day between the two tires.. Even on the road it will wheelie easier instead of just spinning the rear, so I think it's better on road as well, but I don't go faster than 90mph, because my front tire doesn't like it and wobbles scaringly..
Don't know about the front, as I run Michelin Desert there.. So far this is the best setup for me.. I tend to ride off road more.. And when I know I'll be doing lots of miles on road, I just change to the scorps - as they are great on road tires, and also handle light off road quite well IMO.

I ride in sand and gravel, and on hard off-road surfaces, rocky terrain, etc.. I know that the Desert is not good in mud - I even got stuck with the Desert - TKC80 combo once in the mud, so I'm avoiding contact with mud if possible:) I'm also trying to avoid rain as well. Ofcourse sometimes it's unavoidable, and all of the tires I've tried so far were scary when the road was wet (I've been in situations with the scrops as well on wet roads).. It's a 440lbs 100hp bike afterall..
I haven't tried the 908RR on wet asphalt yet, but I don't have big expectations, as I know that all off-roadish tire is scary in rain..

I think that every tire is a compromise.. You won't find a tire that's good on and off-road as well.. It's even hard to find an off-road tire that handles all type of terrain well.. Actually I can't even understand why people are expecting 5-10k miles usage from an off-road(ish) tire - which I think the D908RR is (not to mention that they are using it mainly on-road) You guys know what an on-road tire is ? The Michelin Pilot series for example:) So compared to that, the D908RR is an off-road tire... Ofcourse compared to a terraflex, it's just a dual-sport tire, but still on the off-roadish side of the line:) The Scorps are still more dual-sport tires than the D908RR is.. So It's something like Pilot, Scorps, D908RR, TerraFlex for example going from on-road to off-road, with the scorps being on the more on-road, less off-road, and the D908RR being on the less on-road, more off-road side:)

So for me the best setup so far is:
Mostly on-road & light off-road if needed (hard stuff & gravel):
Scorps.
Mostly off-road (sand & loose stuff & ofcorse hard stuff & gravel - so basicly anything but mud & snow) & some on-road (like 80/20):
Desert front & D908RR rear.

If I would go on an RTW trip, I'd probably take the Scropions as my main tires, as they last long, perform very good on-road, and will handle light off-road / bad on-road conditions pretty well... And on such a trip, I don't think anyone would do that serious kind of off-road riding, that the scorps couldn't handle...

(I'm running all these tires on my stock rims)

Sumi screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 06:05 PM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 693
Need another 908. Price in town has jumped $100! If you can still find 'em for less than $200, stock up while you can!!
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #24
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 626
Perhaps somewhat of an echo in here now, but I have less than 2000 miles on mine and it appears it'll maybe make it to 2500 at this rate - and toast by 3000 if it stays on that long.

For my particular riding conditions, I did not notice much of a difference with the 908 over the Mefo off road - the 908 is probably better but not significantly (your mileage may vary). My next tire will go to the Heidi (rather than the Mefo) just to try something else. I am hoping the Heidi will be as sturdy as the Mefo, because I was getting well over 5000 on mine easily (before it was toast). The tread between the Mefo and Heidi appears to be very similar.

Still searching for the perfect front knobby...

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #25
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
Chaparral Motors has the 908 rear for $184.88, free shipping. I bought three rear tires from Bike Bandit last year when they had them on sale for $128.00 the 606 I bought two on sale at $66.00. Prices have certainly been on the steady climb up. I am keeping my eyes open for more sales.