Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Question Buy cheap US bike, ship somewhere, ride, and leave it there?

A lot of places in the world don't have motorcycle rentals, or the rentals are very expensive. (BMW outfits charging $150/day, etc)

Would it be possible to ship a bike to a location, ride for a month or two, and then sell it there? Even if you sell it for peanuts, it would be cheaper than renting.

The problem is the import/export/tax rules. Are there are countries that are lax on this? I read stories about people leaving their bikes in South America after their ride and that is why I was wondering.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
srebello
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Try checking out the HUBB. Plenty of people do it. If you find an American or Canadian to sell it to it works great, from what I know. Some people sell black market and others have left them. Not saying any of those are right, but they do happen. They HUBB always has post about people selling their bikes in Africa or SA.
srebello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
widebmw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
The Hubb is Horizons Unlimited.
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/
widebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm not too keen on buying a bike after someone does their trip because they're usually beat on to hell, never in a convenient place, and they usually ask for a ton of money. Not to mention timing.

Too many factors have to come together just right to make it worthwhile.

But I'm thinking there are probably places in the world where you can ship a cheap bike, ride around, and sell it there, making for a pretty cheap trip...
Old 05-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
jordan325ic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Most countries do have laws regarding leaving a vehicle behind while you leave. However, many third world countries don't have any real way of enforcing this law. When I flew out of Peru (after selling my bike illegally) no questions were asked. I heard many stories from Central/South America of travelers being able to leave their vehicles and fly out (either forever or to return later). I do know that Chile does keep track of vehicles and will charge you large fees if your vehicle overstays it's permit. I don't know how they could collect from you if you've left the country but that's another matter.

If you are really concerned about this I know in many cases it's possible to drive out of one country, stamp out with immigration, park your bike in the no-mans-land between borders and then cross on foot into the next country.
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm sure that no country allows it, but I'm looking for countries that do not see it as a big deal. A lot of places have very stringent rules on paper, but as a matter of practice things are very lax. Those are the sort of places I'm interested in... and obviously it has to make sense to do this financially... It obviously doesn't make sense to ship a bike to India/Vietnam where you can rent a moto for $10/day.

I also don't want to be in a position where going back to that country will be a problem.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 454
It's going to be tough, even Chile is almost a no go and it's one of the better to deal with. I'd try talking to someone on an "expat" site specific to the country you wish to start off in.......worked for me!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,828
Leaving bike in carnet-countries won't work, that's for sure. Elsewhere it might not be officially allowed, but as stated before, enforcing it is another thing.

But ocean freight is relatively cheap (though it may be a pain to arrange, and cost may depend a lot on whether you can find a good agent or not!)...but anyway, if the big problem is leaving the bike somewhere, then it can be shipped forward. I guess in this scenario, you would have already shipped it in, so if you can arrange to store the crate somewhere, and have contacts from that first shipping, then it could be a bit easier.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 09:19 AM
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
compmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
keep this going !

shipping bikes , in general is a topic that needs to be "cleared up" by those who know. I sold a GasGas bike to a client in Maui last June, and it was only as easy as it was, due to his previous experience buying bikes from New England and using a specific shipper , that I also used. Nowadays, it is becoming increasingly difficult to ship, due to regs, and fuel costs. Any insight into this subject is always helpful to us all. By the way, I used DHX to ship to Maui , and he had to pick it up at the dock. It cost less than $750 to go from east coast US by truck, to be loaded onto a boat in San Diego to continue to the islands...this was last June tho...as for riding in other countries, r u nuts ? just kiddin... I guess there are some that wouldn't be too bad. I realize in EU locales, bikers get a little more respect, than they do stateside...do they have cellphones,and texting in other countries ?
Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Oddometer: 429
You can legally sell your US bike to a Chilean in Punta Arenas and Iquique. These are free trade zones.