User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
joe_soap OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
loosing confidence

Ok so I bought my heart’s desire and not sure!!!
Recently (march 2012) bought a 950 Adventer 2005 (54k on clock). Since I bought it had various problems:
- Master cylinder on clutch leaking so replaced with a kit (seems to be fine after pairs)
- Bike is using water – have been told it is leaking on the cylinder head gasket into the motor and disappearing through the exhaust. It has to be repaired.
- Past weekend while riding, accelerator cable broke.
- often the bike does not start first off, and does not start easily, other times it kicks over easily.
I am fast losing confidence in the reliability of the bike. I do understand these bikes were meant to be driven in harsh conditions and will take a pounding thus needing repairs and maintenance.

Are these just run of the mill problem and I should persevere in having repairs done?
Or did I buy a lemon?

joe_soap screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 03:13 AM
joe_soap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
Is this your first bike by any chance?

Because those sound like fairly minor details and not something to loose a huge amount of sleep over.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
Early 2005 bikes had some issues, none of which are reasons to abandon ship. If you had read the HOW you would probably have identified the issues and stayed away from that particular bike OR learnt that the issues can be sorted out with some reading, tools and efforts (not to forget the beer).

You can still go through the folowing link to find the necessary information to sort out the bike on your own. In the process you will develop a deep understanding of the workings of this beast.

KTM 950 Hall of Wisdom

Orange Crush Thread Index and Links

cheers and good luck
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #4
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_soap View Post
- often the bike does not start first off, and does not start easily, other times it kicks over easily.
Kicks? You sure it's a 950 Adventure???
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,839
Yup, I'm with you, OP.
If any of my bikes were such an unreliable bag of shit as to actually break a throttle cable, I'd get rid of the fuckin' thing.

If you're anywhere near NJ, you can unload that steaming pile of poo in my driveway and I'll take care of things from there. I'm here to help.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #6
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
Problems

I have two '05.5 adventures. I bought the first one with 4k miles and in showroom condition. I had to sort it out(SAS,starter torque limiter,clutch slave,and a whole bunch of goodies). I love that bike so much that I bought another one not running. I have the second one sorted now and she is a beast of a bike. Don't get discouraged, you will love it when you get it right.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 415
Maybe you bought a bike that the previous owner was a little slack on maintanance with and decided to sell before he fixed any of the normal bike things. If thats the case you just need to start tinkering until its sorted as the PO should have. Blame the PO not the bike..
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #8
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,213
Here's another helpful link...

Welcome new 9x0 owners! Things you need to know about your new bike...
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
Maybe you bought a bike that the previous owner was a little slack on maintanance with and decided to sell before he fixed any of the normal bike things. If thats the case you just need to start tinkering until its sorted as the PO should have. Blame the PO not the bike..
What he said.
Any time I buy a used vehicle of any kind I expect the need to catch up on maintenance.
Those and a few other things in the HOW are normal maintenance items on these bikes. In the process of cleaning them up you will learn a bunch about your steed.
My suggestion- Take the bike to your garage and take tanks, wheels off and inspect all those things in the HOW. Take your time. Don't be in a hurry. It took me about 2 weeks of down time including waiting for parts to get thru my bike. It was time well spent. I know a whole bunch about my bike and have great confidence in her.
You might want to do your fork oil as well. I personally started a little notebook that I keep in my tank bag for maintenance history. Lets me keep track of how long it has been for stuff.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_soap View Post
Ok so I bought my heart’s desire and not sure!!!
Recently (march 2012) bought a 950 Adventer 2005 (54k on clock). Since I bought it had various problems:
- Master cylinder on clutch leaking so replaced with a kit (seems to be fine after pairs)
- Bike is using water – have been told it is leaking on the cylinder head gasket into the motor and disappearing through the exhaust. It has to be repaired.
- Past weekend while riding, accelerator cable broke.
I am fast losing confidence in the reliability of the bike. I do understand these bikes were meant to be driven in harsh conditions and will take a pounding thus needing repairs and maintenance.

Are these just run of the mill problem and I should persevere in having repairs done?
Or did I buy a lemon?

Yep the rear master cylinder will fail and has to be upgraded to the latest specification to fix it..I did it on my 05.5

Yep the starter torque limiter that cam on the bike has to have the latest upgrade to fix it..Or it will make a hell of a racket while trying to start the bike while hot. I did the upgrade on mine..

Yes the fuel pump is unreliable and I replaced the original with a Facet electronic unit at a cost of about $50 or so..

I do sort of doubt you have a leaking head gasket and suspect a failed water pump shaft seal. Yes they will fail about every 15,000 miles or so and I am on my third one.

Can't comment on throttle cable failure because never had it happen on any bike I have ever had.

Bottom line is that the 950 is NOT a Honda...It requires much more intensive maintenance but most of all the basic problems can be fixed. Once addressed with all the upgrades about all you have to do is replace he water pump seal and check the valve clearances on a regular basis...However as big a pain in the ass as it is...this is my most favorite motorcycle I have ever owned out of about 25 or so bikes..That is why I will tolerate the higher maintenance effort. Good luck!
kingrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
The good news it you can do nearly all the maintenance using to tool kit that comes with the bike
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
joe_soap OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Replacing cables and changing shaft and seals on water pump sound "simple enough" to learn and will surely enjoy. Sounds like i got a lot to learn about the bike and enjoyed riding it sounds all worth it.

Thanks for all the feedback. Great forum.
joe_soap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
Bugman98
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
This is all normal crap you've got to put up with when you own a KTM. Probably why the PO sold it!
Bugman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Bottom line.....the bike is DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY worth the maintenance to fix and ride the piss out of it. You'll have a s*** eating grin once its right and you SMOKE your pals on their "vunderbikes" translate (BMW).
2009 Harley Road Glide
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Dear Joe Soap.

I can tell you first hand these bikes are some work compared to most other bikes but what this bike is/does makes it NOHING like any other bike out there. The bike isnt great at any one thing, this bike is GREAT at everything.

I AM a proud KTM owner and will be for MANY MANY years.

I have a strange issue with my 05.5 KTM 950 ADVenture right now, at 3k it falls on its face.
I JUST finished removing both tanks amongst a multitude of other parts to get to the carbs. Cleaned the carbs so they friggen shine inside and out and guess what... After ALL that work the friggen thing STILL falls on its face at 3k.
I'm sure it's something stupid and I will get it but until then it is frustrating.
Dont give up, it's WELL worth the hard work.
Remember this word below.
PERMAGRIN. Yup, this WILL be you VERY shortly.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote