Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #166
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
I am in! Finally finished reading your RR. Now let the real fun begin south of the border!

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #167
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
If I may be so bold as to rate the options you listed in bags...

First choice would be a hard Metal bag, like a Happy trails,

Second choice would be a wolfman bag

Third choice would be the footman loops I mentioned,

last choice would be (and a DISTANT last choice at that) a pelican style case. They claim they are indestructible, but that is total crap. If you drop them they do not break, if you drop them under a motorcycle going 50 then they shatter into crappy little bits and you are royally screwed. At least with the metal cases you can bash them into shape again and deal with it, and in the next town find a welder to fix them up 'good as new' (yeah, right, but at least they can be mended a bit). The plastic guys will leave you without bags in the middle of no where and no way to pack your stuff to the next city. Stay way, please.

Sorry, but every report I have red in which the pelican style bags were employed ended with metal bags on the bike and bits of personal possessions and plastic scattered across South America. One guy actually lost the door to one, a bit of duct tape and straps got him and all of his gear on the road again until he destroyed the rest of the bag and lost some gear. Ultimately he got the Happy Trails because they were A metal and B awesome to him and shipped them out really fast to Mexico.
Sorry to stick my nose in where it was not invited, and if you go with that style that I loath I will, of course, keep reading, and promise not to say "I told you so"... ;)

Regards,

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #168
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I have a set of side bags that you can have. I keep saving them for something, but I never use them. No Pics, and I don't know if i'll be home when you roll through, but the offer is there.
Thanks for that offer but i really need to sort out something sooo that i can finally ride outta here...

But if cant get a decent setup together in the next month.. i might take you up.

How big are your bags?

MagneticSouth screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 10:06 PM
MagneticSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #169
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
I am in! Finally finished reading your RR. Now let the real fun begin south of the border!

Later
John
Thanks for coming along
Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #170
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
If I may be so bold as to rate the options you listed in bags...

First choice would be a hard Metal bag, like a Happy trails,

Second choice would be a wolfman bag

Third choice would be the footman loops I mentioned,

last choice would be (and a DISTANT last choice at that) a pelican style case. They claim they are indestructible, but that is total crap. If you drop them they do not break, if you drop them under a motorcycle going 50 then they shatter into crappy little bits and you are royally screwed. At least with the metal cases you can bash them into shape again and deal with it, and in the next town find a welder to fix them up 'good as new' (yeah, right, but at least they can be mended a bit). The plastic guys will leave you without bags in the middle of no where and no way to pack your stuff to the next city. Stay way, please.

Sorry, but every report I have red in which the pelican style bags were employed ended with metal bags on the bike and bits of personal possessions and plastic scattered across South America. One guy actually lost the door to one, a bit of duct tape and straps got him and all of his gear on the road again until he destroyed the rest of the bag and lost some gear. Ultimately he got the Happy Trails because they were A metal and B awesome to him and shipped them out really fast to Mexico.
Sorry to stick my nose in where it was not invited, and if you go with that style that I loath I will, of course, keep reading, and promise not to say "I told you so"... ;)

Regards,
Cheers for the opinion on the pelicans, im definately here for any weighted advice i can get, all recommendations appreciated

I spoke to someone at happy trails today and they basically said that trying to get their rack and side panniers on an XL600 couldnt and shouldnt be attempted due to frame strength and differences

looking at the wolfman racks, they dont seem as complicated only 2 points to connect to the frame..

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Video/WolfSideRacksV.html

surely it cant be that hard to get someone to weld some extra brackets??

MagneticSouth screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 09:46 PM
Old 09-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #171
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

I found out from wolf man that i can buy the racks from the manufacturer in pieces so i can get someone to fabricate them on to my frame...

http://brmoto.com/racks/diy-side-rack-parts.html

so i think i might go with the soft panniers for the side and look for a locking top case.

Anyone know someone with a welder in LA?

MagneticSouth screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 12:27 PM
Old 09-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #172
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagneticSouth View Post
I found out from wolf man that i can buy the racks from the manufacturer in pieces so i can get someone to fabricate them on to my frame...

so i think i might go with the soft panniers for the side and look for a locking top case.

Anyone know someone with a welder in LA?
what part of LA?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #173
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
what part of LA?
x2.

I'd offer mine but I'm a shitty welder and my equipment blows. But I may be able to line you up with somebody competent depending on details.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #174
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
what part of LA?
Im near Marina Del Rey near LAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
x2.

I'd offer mine but I'm a shitty welder and my equipment blows. But I may be able to line you up with somebody competent depending on details.
Thanks G,

These are the racks which i wanted to get...

and these are the tubing which they have available

http://brmoto.com/racks/diy-side-rac...-4-tubing.html

I could order them on the weekend for shipping on monday from Wyoming

I was going to go for this setup with the waterproof wolf man bags with the roto pack for extra gas..

http://brmoto.com/br-moto-rotopax-mo...ide-racks.html

http://brmoto.com/wolfman-expedition-saddle-bags.html

here is a video on mounting the racks..
i will need to weld the mounting tabs to bolt on the frame as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2eX_...feature=relmfu

I hope i can sort it out as soon as possible..

MagneticSouth screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 04:35 PM
Old 09-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #175
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

I've got a message in to a friend of mine in Westchester. The guy can lay a wicked bead and is a good fabricator as well so you can bounce any ideas off him to change the design if you'd like.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #176
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I've got a message in to a friend of mine in Westchester. The guy can lay a wicked bead and is a good fabricator as well so you can bounce any ideas off him to change the design if you'd like.
Hey nice one, that sounds great... Hopefully he can help.

Cheers
Old 09-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #177
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagneticSouth View Post
Hey nice one, that sounds great... Hopefully he can help.

Cheers
Just heard back from him, unfortunately his welder is broken and he doesn't have the dough to fix it right now. I'll ask a few other folks, he was the closest to you that I know though.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #178
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Just heard back from him, unfortunately his welder is broken and he doesn't have the dough to fix it right now. I'll ask a few other folks, he was the closest to you that I know though.
Thanks for trying, i will be ordering the racks tomorrow and hopefully they arrive mid week.
I need to get the side racks organised by the weekend so i can work out what top rack to buy because I'm off to NewYork on saturday and when i get back to LA hopefully it will all be ready to head south shortly afterwards..
Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #179
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSideUp View Post
Not to bust your balls RZ Rob, but the XL was built to be a dual sport, the XR was Honda's true dirt bike.

Mr. South,

I have 2 XL600's and 3 old dual carb XR600's, and that friend you made in LA sounds a bit like me. When the time comes for me to take a trip far South, I'm planneing on customizing an old XL a bit and taking it. I've been wanting to see if I can track down some jets for some of the high altitude passes, and am in the middle of making the subframe removable to make it easier to get in there. I'm curious if you have any plans for when you may need to change the jetting, since it seems the jets are hard to find?

My brother has a machine shop, so I've considered having him make some, but I'm not sure there is a big market for them (but I'd probably have some extras made if/when the time comes). If you or your buddy know of a source, please pass it on.

Best of luck on your trip man!

Ride On Ride On!
Just reading this cool build, and even cooler attitude towards the trip. Good on you for doing this. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the jetting up in the altitude. I just took my XR6 jetted perfectly for sea level in Hawaii, up to damn near 14,000 ft. on Mauna Kea with no real problems. Yeah it ran fat as hell up there, and it was easier to bump start it, than kick it, but I could start it, and I did climb a really steep sandy hill while I was up there, and it did it. These XRs and XLs just freakin go man. I think it's the perfect bike for your trip, and I like the relationship you are building with it. Cheers!
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #180
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
Just reading this cool build, and even cooler attitude towards the trip. Good on you for doing this. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the jetting up in the altitude. I just took my XR6 jetted perfectly for sea level in Hawaii, up to damn near 14,000 ft. on Mauna Kea with no real problems. Yeah it ran fat as hell up there, and it was easier to bump start it, than kick it, but I could start it, and I did climb a really steep sandy hill while I was up there, and it did it. These XRs and XLs just freakin go man. I think it's the perfect bike for your trip, and I like the relationship you are building with it. Cheers!
Thanks, good to know..

I bought some new carbs off ebay and they just arrived yesterday..
They have 115 jets, the stock is 120 and high altitude is supposed to be 112,
I found one 112 main jet as a spare that i could use on the primary carb at altitude but hopefully 115 will be a happy medium?
Ive never rode up mountains on a bike, it will probably do better than i did when i hiked machu picchu a few years ago.