Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #106
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,693
I love plan "D"....the plan and YOU are crazy!.....in the best way, of course!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #107
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Ive been in bed for the past 4 days

I got back on Monday, i got up for a bit yesterday to feel the sun, and its already friday
i dont even know where Wednesday went...?
Worst jetlag ever...

Reality has kicked in. What the hell am i doing back in oz!?
I was soooo close to crossing into Mexico !

Oh well,

heres the pile of stuff ive left behind

and my two bikes...
MagneticSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #108
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

$585 for a long haul across the pacific is always gonna sound like a score a day before you fly…
so i booked my flight the wee hours in the morning on friday, and was on a flight the saturday evening back to Oz..
Flying AirPacific, wasn't going to be the perfect connection at that cos, i was up for a 10hr flight from LA to Fiji, 4 hour layover from 5am in the morning, then another 5hrs to Syd.

Exhausted from all those days and nights trying to get it ready in time, when we transfer in Fiji i sit myself close enough to the check in gate, just in case i doze off into a deep sleep…
There are kids running around everywhere, (Fiji has become a popular family destination for Australians) the air is thick with that aussie, aussie accent iv been happy to be away from for the last 3mnths..
As im sinking deeper and deeper into dreamland, i feel the older lady next to me change the tone of her voice from scolding her grandchildren for not appreciating the lego boats she bought them, and directs her attention at her husband sitting next..
I open my eyes and i see his eyes flicker as his slips into a state of unconsciousness, she grabs at him, i jump up and see everyone just staring, i look around and cant see any one that could help so i help the old lady put him on the floor, luckily within a few minutes, he slowly starts to regain consciousness.
He was alright, breathing and his heart beating steadily, apparently he was on chemo and had diahorrea for the last few days so was feeling very weak…
I asked him a few questions, did i few checks to make sure he had mobility (i had done some first aid being a volunteer lifeguard in Bondi), and he seem to know where he was and what was going on..

When the flight was finally called to board i joined the last minute line when most had boarded and waited while everyone found there seats..
My seat was in the middle of the plane over the wing, and to my pleasant surprise there was at least a cute girl sitting at the window.

Just shortly after we were in the air one of the stewards kept looking towards us and our window… She eventually asked us to stand up so she could check something…
When we got back in our seats i was trying to find out what the concern was…

i took some photos with my little compact canon with the extra long zoom, and could see that just around one of the engine the steel looked like it was chipping off in pieces.. The steward came back and i showed her the pic and she asked to take my camera to show the cockpit..

The Captain came back to check it out for himself, he thanked me and asked me to take a few shots with his camera, then asked the steward if there were any free seats in business class.

After looking over and taking note of the flight emergency evecuation procedure (who ever takes notice of that?)

With the pretty jewish girl from New Mexico, we headed over and enjoyed the rest of the flight with our feet up, drinking glasses of white wine and nibbles…

It was business class from there on, noice..

MagneticSouth screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 06:14 AM
Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #109
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

20hrs crossing the pacific (again) and the last weeks of LA can take it out of you a bit, i slipped into the exhaustion induced hybernation mode for 3 days

I think the weather in Sydney had something to do with it.. Its forecast rain for the next 2wks

Yesterday i finally dragged myself out of bed to check out my bikes.

Soo sad i have to sell them

not sure if this will work but, i'll try to post a vid for a trip i did from Sydney last year..
It was in preperation for this adventure South.

Beach to Bush 2011
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

MagneticSouth screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 06:17 AM
Old 05-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #110
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,172
Hey bud, heading to the Baja 500 this weekend. I'll take pics of everything you're missing!!!
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #111
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Hey bud, heading to the Baja 500 this weekend. I'll take pics of everything you're missing!!!

Enserio!
Its this weekend??... i missed out huh?!

way to rub it in

Just take loads of pics.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #112
7days1shower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Very cool read dude, even if it didn't pan out like you'd expected.

I can relate to how you feel though, I just flew home from DF a week ago after being away for 3 months and hearing THAT Aussie accent when I got on the flight, dear god its painful

Good to see you've come home to 2 bikes though, I came to face my baby which I crashed at Eastern Creek before I left :(

Looking forward to seeing Plan D in action !
7days1shower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #113
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOE200 View Post
Very cool read dude, even if it didn't pan out like you'd expected.

I can relate to how you feel though, I just flew home from DF a week ago after being away for 3 months and hearing THAT Aussie accent when I got on the flight, dear god its painful

Good to see you've come home to 2 bikes though, I came to face my baby which I crashed at Eastern Creek before I left :(

Looking forward to seeing Plan D in action !
Yer thanks, I was just super tired and not at all in the mood for screaming kids with bad braided hair dressed in coconut shells, you know what i mean...
It reminded me of the what it was like coming back from a surf trip to Bali.
Straya's finest.

Hope you get your old lady back on the road soon..
Cheers
Old 06-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #114
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor4play View Post
magnetic south you need to give yourself some credit.99% of the people on hear couldnt achieve half the stuff you have done in the last few weeks.respect dude.
Amazing what we can do when were under the thumb.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #115
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyracer View Post
Just some motivational shots of what can be done with an xl600r from the mid eighties. Built this a few yrs ago while stationed in the UK.Blast to ride if you could ever get the bitch to fire. I'll never own another without the button.

Revalved CR125 inverted forks
VFR 400 single sided swingarm and wheels
Stock tank with "shrouds" welded on.
Custom exaust
Custom tin side panels and stock recovered seat.

Woah you pimped this old bird out..

How do you go about putting on a starter?

Most pics ive seen so far of the XL are preety much stock original.
Im no expert by far, but I guess its got a classic trail look from the 80s that people remember and love.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #116
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilianoXR650L View Post
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUfffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your a funny one Emiliano, thanks for all your gestured replies!

I'll be looking forward to having a beer with you.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #117
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Women - the bane of my life

So because im not gonna be back for a few months to continue with plan D.
I thought id try and make it up to y'all by posting a bit of background info on how this all came about.

Ok...
How does a story like this start?
How else, with a girl of course!

Women, the bane of my life ..

A coupla years ago I started a trip of a lifetime - 6mnths backpacking with my girlfriend of 7 years starting in Argentina and ending in Colombia.
Unfortunately that wasnt the only thing that ended in Colombia.
Not to get into too much detail we broke up, and without commitment i ended up staying in Bogota for another 5months.
I moved into an apartment, learnt some spanish, ate the food drank the aguadiente, dance salsa and emersed myself in the culture as much as i could .. After a few months licking my relationship battle scars life was good.
Silly me what do i go and do...

I meet another girl. And i kinda fall hard
But, not one of those Colombian bombshells you hear about,
She was a 'gringa' on a backpacking trip from Santa Cruz CA, USA. doh!

Thats how I first thought up this silly idea to start in California (obviously to meet this girl again) and finish the rest of Central America some day on a motorcycle.

Seemed like a preety cool plan to impress a chick with!?

MagneticSouth screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 12:38 PM
Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #118
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I wont bore you further with details of my failed love life.
I'll try and get into the bike stuff..

I did have a bike, my very first a 2005 yamaha Virago, don't laugh, Where she lacked in street cred she proved to be very reliable, economical, comfortable and a breeze to ride through daily traffic.

I didnt have any mechanical experience, i guess i didn't need it, she was very low maintenance, all i ever had to do was fill her up and press the start button.

When i got back to Aus (very broke) with the seed of two wheeled odyssey implanted by the 'gringa' I needed to get familiar with the mechanics of motorcycles. I thought 'Im gonna need a project bike' i searched around and found this...

The owner of the shop was very helpful, they knew the mechanical history - it was newly imported from japan a 1986 Yamaha SR400 they had refurbed only some months earlier and had only done a few thousand kms before being dropped in the wet and run over by a 4wd (nobody hurt)
The damage was preety much mostly cosmetic.
I was excited I figured i could learn by pulling her apart, and putting her back together how hard would that be huh?

I got it delivered and it looked like this...

The bike shop thought they were doing me a favour by stripping her down for me, because they knew i had to just replace parts..

To my untrained eye it looked like just a load of boxes of nuts and bolts and foreign looking mechanical stuff.

MagneticSouth screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 08:50 PM
Old 06-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #119
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Showing the welds on the straightened frame,

My working Virago in the background, and the wooden frame with wheels i made so i could move the bike around..

The dented gas tank

For those who have followed my obsession with having an original gas tank, Its the first place i start
no tools necessary

paint stripping

Only stripped the base layer off and i had to hand scrape to find all these funky colors

Nuts and bolts without a home.. Ok now Where the hell are these supposed to go??

MagneticSouth screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 12:39 PM
Old 06-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #120
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I hadn't much of a clue of where to start, so i called my good friend Geoff to help make sense of it all and prove there was a motorcycle hiding in all that stuff..

Geoff showing me what it supposed to look like.

Spraying the frame

Lacquering the tank

I took it one thing at a time, and searched and sourced for new and used parts all over the place, scotts (where i bought it), deus ex machina, junk yards, ebay and various internet sites.. This took a coupla months to get everything i needed.

shopping for new seats

Turning the handle bars down

Headlight from a w650 and my uncle help working out the electrics.

new indicator box

second hand mini indicators

new clutch cover

The thing which proved to be the hardest to get was second hand forks, i ended up ordering them from Japan through Scotts, and it took months to get through customs

fork oil change

new suspension

Finally she's back together..

MagneticSouth screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 12:13 PM