Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,114
This stuff is real awakening:

[U][B][SIZE=3]

This stuff, REAL IMPORTANT:

[/QUOTE]

Glad you're healing. That's a beautiful shot, didn't need the background or flowers to be so either.

Rock on.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
GusinCA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
That is a beautiful picture, cropping just the clouds and the kid would look cool.

And NJ-Brett, the reason why you crash so little is because your tattoo is small.
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #18
gunslinger OP
diabolical schemer

Oddometer: 230
Thumb Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity View Post
Any clue on why you crashed? Unexpected decreasing radius? A bit freaked to see the concrete barrier? Crud in the road?
Glad you're alright, and glad you made the quick decision to control your fate in a way that others would have thought they had no choices left approaching the point of impact.++1 This is important. EVERYONE has a last minute decision in these scenarios. Be AWARE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuda View Post
Accidents aren't sometimes fully understood by professional crash investigators. They can be a "perfect storm" (+1) of occurrences that lead up to the smoking pile of twisted metal and injuries.
This is the best description I can come up with. Conditions were nice, but it was an up/down/right/left curve where I had just passed a car and was pulling back into my lane when the left hand turn came up...... Witnesses stated that they didnt hear any screaming tires and there are no marks on the road. Best description I had was that my rear brake has been squishy lately and I made a last 1/2 second decision to simply slow down and hit straight on instead of running the front brake hard and low siding into a concrete wall at 50 MPH. I PRIMARILY use my front brake. Where I wrecked was a slight "Y" also which I looked at as an out but had slight gravel on the inside and some potholes. Hard braking in those conditions is a VERY dicey scenario.

Im alive, so Im happy with my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRider View Post

Your lil'girl looks like she is walking on the cloud.
Haha. My wife's Aunt said the same thing. .... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMTS View Post
Gunslinger, glad you made it. Stuff happens quick. The pic with you and your daughter is priceless. Some decide to end riding after a wreck. Think you'll ride again?
Yes, stuff happens super quick. And yes .... Thank you! She IS precious.

Yes, Ill be riding again. Whats funny is that the day after the wreck, my wife said, "Hey, now that you wrecked that one; you can save up and get the one you always wanted!! (A KTM 990 ADV
) I have the Strom 4sale as a rebuildable/hulk but if I might fix it and keep riding it. She has been a good steed. I actually bought her from a woman posting on this site years back, selling it due to to her Fiance wrecking it down in Simi Valley. He didnt make it out of the wreck.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Glad it was not worse.

So how long have you been riding?
Ive been riding dirt for about 16 years. Off and on for a few years not having bikes...... Ive been riding on the street for about 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Irish75 View Post
What do you mean when you say you came out of the chicane and "just lost everything"?
To be honest, when things happen so fast, it feels like that. That is the term that I have came up with I suppose.....

Quote:
Like they say there are two kinds of riders those who have crashed and those who haven't yet.
Like I stated in my original post, a few folks have had the mentality of "You should be able to ride safely on the road. There is no reason for you to crash....

As I have always believed, and fact is that not ONE rider I know has NOT wrecked; Its not a matter of IF you wreck, its a matter of WHEN......

Quote:
Like you I am all about ATGATT. You should see some of the asshats here in Vegas that think summer riding gear is shorts & flops.
Haha. I suppose Im an ATGATT guy but not in the sense that I enjoy using the term...... But I do wear gear. Its dirt gear, but serves me well and has delt with other get-offs. The helmet is mandatory for sure though.

I have ridden in jeans and cut off shirt before when I had a cruiser but my current riding style and steed do not warrant that kind of attire. You have a get-off on these taller bikes running hard like I usually am, it translates to skin graphs and skull fractures. Guys here in Idaho also run around in shorts, flip-flops and a suntan. Their prerogative for sure - but I still shake my head and wish them luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KradmelderSA View Post
IChances of falling on tar are far less, but sooner or later the stats catch up to you as well. I figure if I dont want to fall may as well quit riding. +1 One winter Im going to get flu, one time Im going to fall. I will never be immune to either.
Love the attitude. Whats funny is how many people thought I was crazy about three years ago when I was riding my Strom 700 miles round trip from Coeur D'Alene, Idaho to north of Seattle, Wa in January. About 5 times. Rain, snow, hail, freezing, wind... everything. Lowsided in our steep gravel driveway trying to beat the 8 inches of snow on it.... Good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusinCA View Post
And NJ-Brett, the reason why you crash so little is because your tattoo is small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
This stuff is real awakening: +1

This stuff, REAL IMPORTANT: ++2
Nailed it. INFINITELY Important. That little girl is more than a blessing and ever so important. God didnt want her losing me that day.

---------------------------------

Like I stated in the original post, I dont post here much. I actually havent been on in a while but some things are worth showing and maybe folks remember to put their helmet on that day because of it ..... or wear a jacket, or watch though that next turn less distracted, or do another pre-ride check to find that loose bolt, or hug their kids harder before they leave.......

Life is short.

gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #19
Cale_Kat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Sir, With all due respect, you did not "drop it". You stuffed it into a immovable object at a high rate of speed.

I do hope to ride long enough, drop it I have and will continue to do, but I don't expect to STUFF IT.

You are very lucky to be alive. Ride safe.

Cale

Cale_Kat screwed with this post 05-18-2012 at 06:43 AM
Cale_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #20
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Glad it worked out and you made the right decision at that point in time.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #21
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,212
From your description, you entered a turn too hot and ran off the road.
I don't see any reason why it had to happen.
If you do not over ride your sight lines, it wont happen.

Its fine to think you will likely crash if you push the limits, but I do not think its right that you have to crash if you don't.
37 years on the street for me, and being a non gear wearing chiken, the most I push it is about 90% max.
In all those years, I have never come close to not making a turn.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
WVMTS
Podunk Chillbilly

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Yes, stuff happens super quick. And yes .... Thank you! She IS precious.

Yes, Ill be riding again. Whats funny is that the day after the wreck, my wife said, "Hey, now that you wrecked that one; you can save up and get the one you always wanted!! (A KTM 990 ADV ) I have the Strom 4sale as a rebuildable/hulk but if I might fix it and keep riding it. She has been a good steed. I actually bought her from a woman posting on this site years back, selling it due to to her Fiance wrecking it down in Simi Valley. He didnt make it out of the wreck.....
You've got a good, understanding wife. I like bikes, but personally, due to the history of that bike, I would crush it like the car on "Christine". The 990 would be sweet.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #23
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Oddometer: 525
It's cool that your tat has stitches just about where you have stitches. Strange voodoo there. I love the pic of your little girl in the air. I have one quite similar and it looks like she is falling from heaven with me trying to catch her :)
I stick to the belief that if you haven't crashed yet, you will. It keeps me on my toes. And odds are that it just may be operator error, not necessarily something unforseeable. To think that I will never make a mistake would be sheer arrogance. And thinking that none of the humans around me will do something stupid, is very naive. Shit happens, glad you came out of it so well :)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot
FoolHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #24
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,875
I find it entertaining that you guys here at advrider love to make fun of "pirates", but then I hear you make comments like, "it's not if, but when" in reference to crashing, if I had a nickle for everytime I heard an uneducated crusier rider say that..... I've been riding on the street for 22 years and, have been riding for 28. I've never not had a bike, and at times, that was all I had. I have NEVER crashed on the road and know others that have long riding careers that have never been down on road.

To the OP, learn from your mistake. I bet you could have made that turn even with your bad rear brake, remember your front brake holds 3/4 of your braking. Have you ever taken a motorcycle safety class, or even just a cornering class? Shit does just "happen" at times, this wasn't one of them.

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 04:01 PM
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #25
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I find it entertaining that you guys here at advrider love to make fun of "pirates", but then I hear you make comments like, "it's not if, but when" in reference to crashing, if I had a nickle for everytime I heard an uneducated crusier rider say that..... I've been riding on the street for 22 years and, have been riding for 28. I've never not had a bike, at at times, that was all I had. I have NEVER crashed on the road and know others that have long riding careers that have never been down on road. .
Uh...people make mistakes, no matter how long they have been riding. I know people that have been riding forever that have never crashed, and I know way more people that have. Big deal. He made a pass at what sounds like a really bad time and probably panicked and then got fixated on the wall on the corner. Pretty sure he knows that. You sound really condescending to someone who is here sharing what he did wrong with your years of experience and no crashes. If I had a nickle for every holier than thou poster on this site...

Gunslinger- Glad you are ok man. I had a similar cut on my elbow from a crash (although not as long, but as deep) and it didn't bleed much either...weird stuff.
ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #26
gunslinger OP
diabolical schemer

Remember - its good fun riight..... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale_Kat View Post
Sir, With all due respect, you did not "drop it". You stuffed it into a immovable object at a high rate of speed. Im a better man now that I have been corrected in my terminology. Thank YOU Sir....

I do hope( HOPE is the correct term.. )to ride long enough, drop it I have and will continue to do, but I don't expect (You NEVER expect to stuff it... ) to STUFF IT. Keep your chin up on the belief that you will never stuff it into an illegal left turner or mindless driver.

You are very lucky to be alive. Ride safe.

Cale
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787877

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
From your description, you entered a turn too hot and ran off the road. Semi-Agreed.

I don't see any reason why it had to happen. Agreed

If you do not over ride your sight lines, it wont happen. Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
Glad it worked out and you made the right decision at that point in time.Thanks. Accurate observation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolHardy View Post
I love the pic of your little girl in the air. I have one quite similar and it looks like she is falling from heaven with me trying to catch her :) Yeah - she's a little doll. She loves getting thrown around!

I stick to the belief that if you haven't crashed yet, you will. It keeps me on my toes. And odds are that it just may be operator error, not necessarily something unforseeable. To think that I will never make a mistake would be sheer arrogance. And thinking that none of the humans around me will do something stupid, is very naive. Exactly.

Shit happens, glad you came out of it so well :) Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I find it entertaining that you guys here at advrider love to make fun of "pirates", but then I hear you make comments like, "it's not if, but when" in reference to crashing, if I had a nickle for everytime I heard an uneducated crusier rider say that..... I've been riding on the street for 22 years and, have been riding for 28. I've never not had a bike, at at times, that was all I had. I have NEVER crashed on the road and know others that have long riding careers that have never been down on road. Haha. I dont even know where to start with this. "pirates"? Obviously this is a rider term similar to squids. Im not hip on all the lingo, so Im thinking Im not calling anyone pirates. Glad to hear you have been riding for 28 years!! Maybe youll continue to be fortunate and only drop your bike on its side while standing!

To the OP, learn from your mistake. I bet you could have made that turn even with your bad rear brake, remember your front brake holds 3/4 of your braking. So THATS why my front brake is so much bigger, AND theres TWO discs, and the calipers are DUAL piston instead of one, AAAAND there is double the total fluid capacity!!!

Have you ever taken a motorcycle safety class, or even just a cornering class? Class? I just got that bike the day before I wrecked it! I dont even have an endorsement. I barely got both feel off the ground while riding before I hit the wall! Where are these "motorcycle classes" you speak of?

Shit does just "happen" at times, this wasn't one of them. Funny, I dont remember seeing you at the site.... You must have extra powers knowing this all the way from where you are.....OP mentions, gravel, potholes varying terrain.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadySmurf View Post
Uh...people make mistakes, no matter how long they have been riding. I know people that have been riding forever that have never crashed, and I know way more people that have. Big deal. He made a pass at what sounds like a really bad time and probably panicked and then got fixated on the wall on the corner. Pretty sure he knows that. YUP. You sound really condescending to someone who is here sharing what he did wrong with your years of experience and no crashes. If I had a nickle for every holier than thou poster on this site...
Exactly MY point. I know LOTS of riders who have never been down but the interesting facet to that, is a lot of them also do not ride hard. MOST every rider I know has been down. And not because I ride in a "Stunta" group either.

Gunslinger- Glad you are ok man. I had a similar cut on my elbow from a crash (although not as long, but as deep) and it didn't bleed much either...weird stuff.Yeah, we were surprised how little it bled. Crazy. Actually, the cut on my back wasnt all that bad, but the actual cavity was about the size of a baseball. ICK.

I didnt post this story to get flowers or show off how tough I am. I want people to look at my mistake and take extra caution in their daily rides. I stated in the original post - life is short. Keep your life clean so if it is your day, youre ready.

Also interesting enough to note - If I had died, and my wife or someone else had posted that I had passed in a wreck; a number of peoples' responses would have been noticeably different. Thanks to those with the well wishes.

to the experienced Gods of the Non wrecking motorcycle realm, keep up the good luck

and to the School Teachers nannies and busy bodies, go work on another merit badge.

gunslinger screwed with this post 05-19-2012 at 01:02 PM
Old 05-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post

to the experienced Gods of the Non wrecking motorcycle realm, keep up the good luck

ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #28
gunslinger OP
diabolical schemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadysmurf View Post

Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #29
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,875
OP, I did wish you well in my first post, but you didn't answer anyones questions from people that are trying to learn from your mistake. If you haven't taken a class, I suggest you do so. Front brake has more stopping power because of the weight transfer, not the rotor size. I never claimed to know more than you, but I take a riding class every year to keep my skills sharp. it's great fun and keeps the insurance low. I'm really not trying to be condescending, I've lost a lot of riding friends due to their attitude and thinking they know it all and they became defensive at any mention of education. That's all, no critique. But I do want to learn from mistakes that riders make, it makes me a better rider and rider coach. I'm happy your sweet girl still has her daddy, educate yourself for her.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #30
Cale_Kat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
gunslinger, I'll know my place in the future.

Cale
Cale_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote