Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
1990 CB125tt (TWO)

Check it out!

I recently came into a pair of 1990 CB125TT's. Twin cylinder, 125cc 4 stroke nut cases.

They were originally used as training bikes, and have since fallen into a bit of a state of disrepair.

Both run well, but had no turn signals when I received them (from their days as training bikes).

A list of things to do include, fork dust seals, turn signals, a new chain/sprocket set for one of them. An idle screw for one. and a few other odds and ends.

However, while ONE will maintain it's stock appearance (the GF loves to ride it), the OTHER will not, and for this, I need suggestions!

Do I cafe one? Or do I adventurize it? I'm leaning more towards the adventurization of one of the bikes.

A set of ideas includes:
  • MX Woods High Bars
  • Trailtech computer to replace the ghetto, busted, original gauge cluster
  • Dirt Tires (Likely Shinko 244's)
  • Custom Seat (flat profile, rather than a stepped up passenger section)
  • 2 Model 30 (10w each), ADVmonster LED lights to replace the stock sealed beam headlight (Low beam burned out)
  • Hand guards of the cheap variety (Acerbis/Moose/etc)
  • Maybe some frame sliders (Mounted at rear passenger pegs, front axle.
I've already been scraping the pegs on one of these bad boys, and have the urge to "race" these awesome scoots in a local parking lot with a friend of mine. Nothing outrageous, just 25mph mini moto racing.

Oh, and I work at a motorcycle dealership, and get parts at cost, so keep that in mind.

What do you guys think!

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
They look pretty cool stock...

The squared-off design of the stock tank and body work might be tough to rework into a new look, so I'd accentuate the positive. I'd try lower bars, rearsets and a new gauge of some sort. Acewell, Trailtech, Baja Designs, etc. Maybe a round headlight or trimmer rectangular unit would tidy up the front end. I'd lose the rear fender. Maybe shorten & slim the front...

Nice score. Should be fun no matter what ya do.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,740
I got to ride one of those during my MSF class. They're awesome and I wish I could find one for commuting. Too bad you're so far away. I'd trade you my VTR250 for one. I think the VTR would make a great "cross-over" (to DS) bike.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Cb125tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
Check it out!

I recently came into a pair of 1990 CB125TT's. Twin cylinder, 125cc 4 stroke nut cases.

They were originally used as training bikes, and have since fallen into a bit of a state of disrepair.

Both run well, but had no turn signals when I received them (from their days as training bikes).

A list of things to do include, fork dust seals, turn signals, a new chain/sprocket set for one of them. An idle screw for one. and a few other odds and ends.

Oh, and I work at a motorcycle dealership, and get parts at cost, so keep that in mind.

What do you guys think!

--Alex
Nice Bikes! I have one out in the barn (1990) that I got from Team Oregon/Oregon State surplus sales. They cut off the VIN number so it's a parts bike now. I welded a plate over the hole where the VIN was... just to keep dirt/rain out. They used a dremel with cutoff wheel.

I need a clutch perch (they saved it for them). Hope to get it running some day. It should be a hoot with 18hp from a 125cc bike.

Originally got it for parts to put on my CB250. Things like front forks with disk brake, center stand, mufflers etc. Haven't done anything with it yet.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
TunturiTT
techhead

Oddometer: 39
I have two of those, or similar. They were sold here as CB125TD Superdream. Mine are -84 and -86. Only difference is the wheels and colour. Mine has Comstars. Rode it two summers about 15-16 years ago. When bought it was pretty beat. I rebuilded it with my dad, and gave the boot.
Then few years ago i dug it out from the barn, refreshened it and equipped it with some studded tires, kinda_of_hippo hands and rode through a winter. Was true fun, til left con rod seized. Decent parts for those are hard to find. Taiwanese crap can be found everywhere. I remember replacing taiwanese pistons and pistonrings few times per season. Also, when ever rebuilding one of these, crack the engine open and clean the sludgetraps of the crank. Those little holes WILL clog up and cons WILL seize.
Great bikes still.

TunturiTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
DannoXYZ
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I got one of these CB125TT bikes for my wife as a learner/starter bike. It's so much fun, lightweight and turns on a dime!

I'd like to get a tach for it though. Any suggestions? I've seen dashes for sale from ebay.UK and it appears the tach is mechanically driven with a cable, like the speedo. I can't figure out where the cable would plug into though?

Or an aftermarket electronic tach would be fine as well. Any suggestions?

DannoXYZ screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 01:12 PM
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Aftermarket tach?

You could try a TrailTech Vapor Computer. It would sufficiently replace then entire dash. Check them out.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/tr...segment=badger

--Alex
Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,740
And, if you find the Vapor to be a little pricey, Trail Tech makes a tach/hour-o-meter that's easily installed. It displays rpm when the bike is running and hours the engine has run when the engine is off. I had one on my old NX125. Worked good.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
DannoXYZ
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the Trail Tech tach/hour-meter info. I found it here: http://trailtech.net/tto_tach-hour.html

Is there something else with an analogue display with traditional clock-face and sweeping needle?
Easier to read when you're accelerating.

Edit: I found a couple of analogue tachs:

Equus 6088 3-3/8" Black Tachometer

Pros: has selectable cylinder# from 1-12.
Cons: only goes up to 8k-rpm, need 12k.

52mm car tachometer

Pros: higher RPM-range, but still not quite 12k
Cons: haven't heard back from vendor if it has selectable cylinders setting to work with 1-cylinder engine (or twins with separate coils)

DannoXYZ screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 05:55 PM
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
robotgoesnuts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
if you do turn it into something else, I need a key switch and a seat.
robotgoesnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Cool score. I like them. GREAT trainers and fun city bikes.

There is alot you could do with that platfrom. I see a Streettracker flattrack replica. I see a scrambler with some body work simplification and twin up pipes. The wheels are already perfect for a scrambler. I can see a cafe ISH bike but a bit too modern and square for a really good looking cafe bike without alot of body work. A mini ADV bike is a stretch imho, but go prove me wrong, I would love to see turn into to something fun.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #12
SpringChicken
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Have you had your CD125tt 's titled or licensed in Washington? I know of someone that wants to donate some to the kids in our riding club as bikes to learn to wrench and ride on.

Any idea if the parts and manuals for the CB125TD Superdream are a direct crossover?
SpringChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringChicken View Post
Have you had your CD125tt 's titled or licensed in Washington? I know of someone that wants to donate some to the kids in our riding club as bikes to learn to wrench and ride on.

Any idea if the parts and manuals for the CB125TD Superdream are a direct crossover?
Titling in Washington State required some loops and hassles. I ended up going to Australia for a year, and rather than let them sit for 12 months, I sold them as a pair. They went to Arizona, where title issues are less of a concern if the bikes are 20+ years old.