User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
Seebo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
custom touring equipment

Hi everyone! Long time lurker first time poster. I have an 06 HD Street Bob that's been my adventure machine for a while. I'm a cnc programmer by trade and have been in the process of creating a luggage rack. So how many of you have had to get creative and make your own parts / equipment?
Attached Images

Seebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
That is the very reason I have a 30+ year old bike. I have to design and build or modify everything, other than maintenance parts, as there simply isn't anything else on the market for it. There is no catalog or website with "bolt on" or "plug and play" farkles to shop from. When I'm not working or riding, I'm researching, sketching, measuring, and mocking-up the next thing. This has lead to a very intimate knowledge of my bike. As a result, there is very little I couldn't fix or "MacGuyver" at the side of the road, or with the help of the nearest farmer's tools.

I love having a "Built, not Bought" "one of a kind" bike, especially when I have time to ride to a cruise night. I can spend the entire night talking to people, all of them true bike enthusiasts who want to know what and why. Even stopping at a gas station, coffee shop or bike shop can result in an hour chatting with other motorcyclists because nobody has seen a bike like mine unless they've seen it before. If they have seen it before, they usually ask what the latest modification is.
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 389
I've worked in precision sheet metal fab for 29 years now. Started on the floor, worked my way up and now do the CAD/CAM/CNC programming. We use SolidWorks and Fabriwin.

I've found it invaluable to be able to fab up various pieces for my bikes, in particular my Husky TE630. There's some aftermarket out there for it, but not much. Mostly it's rewarding to come up with the pieces you need yourself.
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote