User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #91
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
8/27/2013 @16800.6 Rear tire change

So, the tire came last week. And it is installed.

Used this bead breaker.

There was some rubber crud build up. So, I used nylon wheel to clean the rim. Also, I saw some corrosion pits. Sprayed anti-corrosion stuff on it, too.

With some struggle, the tire was mounted on the rim. And the assembly was installed on the scoot.

I worked in a bike shop many x2 years ago and had some experience replacing tires using a fixture for tire change.

The tire change this time was all manual, all tire spoon and no fixture. Maybe it is due to the rim size, doing this time was a lot harder than I anticipated.
hayasakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #92
gizmo309
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
The shop where I buy tires installs them for free onto the wheel. I'm going to stop in and price these tires, Michelin S1, Michelin S83, Pirelli SL26, and the Kenda 329. The shop is very competitive to internet prices so I just go there. I have yet to take the Riva apart in any way so it will be a bit of a learning experience removing the front and rear wheels. It has the factory 18 year old Dunlops on it right now. Too dangerous to ride on those old tires- though I've been puttering around the neighborhood on it. I can't wait to get going on this scoot. It seems to be a good one!

Bob
gizmo309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #93
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have a printed OEM manual from PO. If you don't have a manual, you can find a free copy online.

Also, Riva riders group on Yahoo is full of very helpful, enthusiastic members. You may look into it if you haven't done so yet.

I love my Riva 125, though, I feel I need bigger engine sometimes. The scoot is well built and replacement parts are readily available online.

hayasakiman screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 05:40 PM
Old 08-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #94
gizmo309
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayasakiman View Post
I have a printed OEM manual from PO. If you don't have a manual, you can find a free copy online.

Also, Riva riders group on Yahoo is full of very helpful, enthusiastic members. You may look into it if you haven't done so yet.

I love my Riva 125, though, I feel I need bigger engine sometimes. The scoot is well built and replacement parts are readily available online.
I downloaded a copy the other day. Haven't had time to look through it yet. Can't wait to get some time to mess with this scoot. I know the carb and/or petcock needs cleaned etc. It had 2-3 year old gas in it when I bought it. I burned through that. I've put about 250 miles on it putting around. The only weird thing it does is a drop of gas comes out of the clear tube from the carb bowl after I ride it. Once it "pees" it doesn't do it the rest of the day. Only a drop comes out. ??? I might go order the tires on Saturday if the shop is open.
I noticed that you scraped your muffler!!! Holy cow. You must ride like Ben Spies or something! Even with new tires I don't think I'll be able to do that.

Enjoying owning a "vintage" scoot so far. I get more compliments on it than my other scooters.

Bob
Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #95
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
I'm a Honda guy myself, and the extra 25 ccs of a 150 is a big deal to me. But I enjoy reading your trials and experiences, because I've been there so many times myself and, so far, getting it fixed and right has been a grin. I don't try to mount my own tires because I don't have anyway to hold the rim in place. I found an industrial and truck tire shop that can mount anything from tires on welding rigs or forklifts to massive loaders at the port. Just bring them the wheel and the new tire (they don't sell scooter tires, I asked) and they can pop on the new tire in a few minutes. Sure, it costs a few bucks, but it's worth it. I'm a 67 year old guy with a pretty good back, and I plan on keeping it that way.

When you finally get the scooter all sorted out and running smoothly, watch out, because that's when you find yourself trolling Craigslist looking for the next one. Now I've got 6 of them, and I'm looking around.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #96
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo309 View Post
I noticed that you scraped your muffler!!! Holy cow. You must ride like Ben Spies or something! Even with new tires I don't think I'll be able to do that.

Bob
Trust me it's not that hard to scrape on these. I don't feel comfortable riding in a typical scooter riding position with legs and arms forward. So, I extend rear passenger's foot pegs and use them myself. Much easier to transfer body weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
I'm a Honda guy myself, and the extra 25 ccs of a 150 is a big deal to me. But I enjoy reading your trials and experiences, because I've been there so many times myself and, so far, getting it fixed and right has been a grin. I don't try to mount my own tires because I don't have anyway to hold the rim in place. I found an industrial and truck tire shop that can mount anything from tires on welding rigs or forklifts to massive loaders at the port. Just bring them the wheel and the new tire (they don't sell scooter tires, I asked) and they can pop on the new tire in a few minutes. Sure, it costs a few bucks, but it's worth it. I'm a 67 year old guy with a pretty good back, and I plan on keeping it that way.

When you finally get the scooter all sorted out and running smoothly, watch out, because that's when you find yourself trolling Craigslist looking for the next one. Now I've got 6 of them, and I'm looking around.
I know Yamaha scooters are not so popular on this forum compared to other brand, but it's OK. It makes me that much special. I'm glad someone like you enjoys this thread. Thank you.

I used blue tarp and knees for holding the wheel assembly for tire mounting job. I wished I had a balancer and weights to balance the assembly, but so far no vibration from back.

I am not as vintage as you are but not so young either. But still enjoy that grin on my face every time I ride.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #97
gizmo309
Adventurer

Quote:

My new tires are in so I'm getting ready to tear into the 'ole Riva. Regarding removing the side panels, do you just remove the one bolt and one screw then slide it downwards? Any tips there are appreciated. And any tips regarding wheel removal would be helpful too. The rear doesn't appear to be too difficult once I get the side panels off but the front looks a little more complicated. How do you brace the front end while the front wheel is off? Any tips or thoughts much appreciated!!
Bob
Old 09-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #98
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Prop up on the center stand. I took front wheel off first. You can make it stay off the ground by placing weight on back/rack, like water jugs. After front wheel is off, install the axle and finger tighten the nut. Place a wooden block or something under the axle so that rear tire is off the ground now.

Below is what I remember how I did......

Place counter weights in back, and remove front wheel.

Temporary install the axle and rest it on a wooden block.
Remove rear wheel. You could remove most of these parts first, prior to removing the rear wheel.

Now, the exhaust can be removed.
Next is the support for the rear axle (triangular plate thing).

My right shock upper mount nut is busted and cannot be removed. So, I swing the shock out of the way.
Then remove the axle nut using air impact.

Once the nut is off, the rear wheel can be removed from the scoot.

Sorry if I missed something.
Hope this helps you.

Good luck.

hayasakiman screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 07:03 AM
Old 09-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #99
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

09/08/2013 @17067.6 Oil change

Changed engine oil only this time.

New oil is Valvoline 10W30.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #100
cheap bastard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
H-man, How often do you change your oil in the Riva? A thousand to twelve hundred miles is what I've timed the changes at and the oil looks very good for being such a low quantity without a filter. I know appearance means little, but draining the old oil through a strainer has never left any debris. There is a small amount of soot like substance, but less than I would have expected.
Valvoline 10-40 ATV oil, (has more zinc with an SJ rating) has been my choice.
cheap bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #101
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I change oil every 1000 miles on this one,,,,
Or, should I say I try to change oil every 1000 miles.

First few oil change was done due to other maintenance issues forced me to do so.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #102
gizmo309
Adventurer

Quote:
I change oil every 1000 miles on this one,,,,
Or, should I say I try to change oil every 1000 miles.

First few oil change was done due to other maintenance issues forced me to do so.

WoW!! Way above and beyond in the help dept!! Thank you for taking the time and effort to post the pix and instructions. I plan on doing the tires this week. I also want to clean/check the carb while I'm in there. I have a new plug so I'll install that too. I do want to check the valves too but I might wait until the weather turns to get into that job.

Thanks again. I'll be active on this post and over on rivariders. Everytime I get back from riding this scoot I have a smile on my face. I'm so happy I finally found one. Mine is also silky white. It has a few MINOR nicks that I plan on taking care of. Over the winter I might mess with this scoot to make it into "restored" condition. It's not too far away now. I'm only the third owner. The first one had it a year and the second 17 years. I've had it five weeks....

Thanks again!!!!

Bob
Old 09-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #103
gizmo309
Adventurer

Got the tires installed. Not too bad to do. I did take my time because I cleaned everything really good. I polished the wheels, wiped down the frame, really gave everything a good cleaning. I changed the spark plug and spray cleaned the carb. The air filter fell apart as soon as I touched it. I ordered a new one from my local dealer. I'm going to leave the side covers off until the new air filter comes in. I'm going to spray clean the carb a few more times. The petcock is not leaking and looks new. It might have been replaced. The inside of the tank looks new too. I think I have some gunk in the bottom of the carb bowl. I asked the mechanic at the shop that installed the tires onto the rims what might cause the drop of gas that drips out of the carb bowl vent tube after it sits. He said most likely there is gunk in there. He said to pop off the tube and spray some carb cleaner in there. He said I might get lucky and not have to remove the carb and give it a proper cleaning. I'm going to try that route first. Thanks for all the help here.

Bob
Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #104
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You are welcome. I am pleased that my post had served you well.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #105
gizmo309
Adventurer

Picked up the new air filter today- 42 mile round trip on my Reflex. I installed it and took it for a little 10 mile ride. The scooter is running nearly perfect. Starts right up, idles down to somewhere near normal, and runs great. Tons of power for a 125. Tomorrow the body goes back on. I do need to adjust the handlebars. They are a little crooked to the right. Once that is done I'll somehow re-install the factory top cas and she's ready for some fall riding. I'm amazed at how well engineered this scooter is. I was designed in the early '80's. New scoots should have bodies that come off this easy, handlebar adjustment trap doors, EASY to accomplish valve adjustments, etc. etc. etc.

Bob