Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
Steamy Moose OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Ram mount with Garmin 62s

I'm after a little info from anyone that has a ram mounted 62s.

I'm in the process of mounting my GPS to my bike and wondering does any one here have one mounted? if so, how secure is it? and how does it attach to the bottom of the GPS unit? From what i can see in the pictures it only appears to be a lip over the bottom of the unit. Is that right? or is there a tab that pops into where you would have a lanyard attached?

any info would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Moose
Steamy Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
I use the RAM mount on my 62s.

Youtube is your friend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2byGkQ9W1g

Touratech sells a mount also:http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2...-Series-Mounts

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #3
Steamy Moose OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
I use the RAM mount on my 62s.

Youtube is your friend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2byGkQ9W1g

Touratech sells a mount also:http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2...-Series-Mounts

daryl

Thanks for the link Daryl, exactly what I needed to see!

Do you have any vibration issues?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Moose View Post
Thanks for the link Daryl, exactly what I needed to see!

Do you have any vibration issues?
I sent you a PM.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
I use a Ram mount for my 60. One nice advantage is that you can swivel the unit around a little to get light onto the screen.

This seems counterintuitive. But the Ram mount is kind of cheaply made and if you have a bad fall the unit can pop out. I have found that having it pop out is better than having it hard mounted and breaking an expensive mount and/or the unit itself. If you break the mount you can get a new holder for about $7. I do loosely safety wire mine with the carrying strap so it doesn't go very far if it falls.

I don't know about the 62, but I have had problems twice with my 60 cutting out on me. I have fixed the problem by taking it apart and cleaning both the external and internal external power connectors and putting dielectric grease on the contacts. I also bend the tabs than connect the battery power to the main board and put some grease on them too. This fix seems to last for a couple of years.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Steamy Moose OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info guys, ordered ram mount last night, is in transit as we speak!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Steamy Moose OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I use a Ram mount for my 60. One nice advantage is that you can swivel the unit around a little to get light onto the screen.

This seems counterintuitive. But the Ram mount is kind of cheaply made and if you have a bad fall the unit can pop out. I have found that having it pop out is better than having it hard mounted and breaking an expensive mount and/or the unit itself. If you break the mount you can get a new holder for about $7. I do loosely safety wire mine with the carrying strap so it doesn't go very far if it falls.

I don't know about the 62, but I have had problems twice with my 60 cutting out on me. I have fixed the problem by taking it apart and cleaning both the external and internal external power connectors and putting dielectric grease on the contacts. I also bend the tabs than connect the battery power to the main board and put some grease on them too. This fix seems to last for a couple of years.
I'd rather the unit pop out in a bad fall opposed to ramming it into the dirt and smashing it to bits. Do you run a short tether from the lanyard mount to the bike? Do you have a picture you could post of it on your bike?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

I just loop the strap around the mount near the handlebar a couple of times. If the unit pops out, it hangs 6-8 inches below the handlebars. I don't have a picture, but will try to get around to taking some when I get a chance.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
rammount
Ram Mount Support

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I use a Ram mount .... If you break the mount you can get a new holder for about $7...
@wbbnm Just in case you did not know, all Ram Mounts have a lifetime warranty. For details see our Warranty Page

In addition if you are having problems with you device falling out under normal riding conditions please contact us with details as this should not be happening and we want to help solve the issue if it is. We do extensive in-house testing of all our products to make sure that your device stays where you put it. You can see a video from our vibration testing of a Ram Mount X-Grip here
Seattle, WA 98108

rammount screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 09:04 AM
rammount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Moose View Post
I'd rather the unit pop out in a bad fall opposed to ramming it into the dirt and smashing it to bits. ?
Good engineering and seat belts in cars are also stupid!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammount View Post
@wbbnm Just in case you did not know, all Ram Mounts have a lifetime warranty. For details see our Warranty Page

In addition if you are having problems with you device falling out under normal riding conditions please contact us with details as this should not be happening and we want to help solve the issue if it is. We do extensive in-house testing of all our products to make sure that your device stays where you put it. You can see a video from our vibration testing of a Ram Mount X-Grip here

I think I may have had my 60CX pop out once while riding an extremely rough section. The problem is that the rubberized area at the bottom of the GPS unit is wearing away and the unit is not seated quite properly in the cradle.

Sometimes I wrap a rubber band made from cutting an inner tube around it.

It has definitely popped out once or twice on bad crashes, but like I said I kind of see this as kind of a nice feature and not much of a problem.

I did break a cradle on a fall once and got a new one. Next time I will look into the warranty.