Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,392
Citysurfer Concept

Not quite a scooter but an interesting concept from Mini:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/19/m...ooter-la-2014/

100% electric, up to 15 mph with an autonomy of 15 miles. 40 pounds, pneumatic tires, disk brakes front and back. An alternative to the Segway?

Old 11-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,378
I had one as a kid. I used my legs to push it all over the place.

Who needs 40 lbs and a charger?
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,064
First, that is awesome!

Second, if they made it with semi off road tires so you could ride on grass or dirt roads, that would be awesome x 2!
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Dao1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Perfect tool for college students. Can park your car a mile away from campus, and then skidaddle right to the entrance of your class building.
Dao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
Dao1
Adventurer

This is the same concept, except w/ a seat, and larger dia wheels. It's alot heavier than 40lbs, so you can't just toss it in the trunk of a car.
This is what I have around the house to zip to/fr the convenience store, the library, and grocery store. 20 mi range per charge. 18mph top speed.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
Culcune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Go-peds did the same thing, but with global-warming , atmosphere-hating two-stroke engines--like 15 years ago.
Culcune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
Culcune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
I had one as a kid. I used my legs to push it all over the place.
Yes, and these, too
Culcune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Damn where y'all been, look up Razor scooters.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 5,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dao1 View Post
This is the same concept, except w/ a seat, and larger dia wheels. It's alot heavier than 40lbs, so you can't just toss it in the trunk of a car.
This is what I have around the house to zip to/fr the convenience store, the library, and grocery store. 20 mi range per charge. 18mph top speed.

So, will that thing actually go 20 miles on one charge? I looked at electric bicycles some time back, and saw all kinds of outrageous claims. Then down at the bottom in very small print, it said "with normal pedaling" Why would anyone buy an electric bicycle if they still had to pedal it? I wanted a bike to ride on some local bike trails that run along a canal bank, and gas powered bikes are not allowed. I was only looking for a 10 mile range (with no pedaling) and that was going to cost around $3K.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
So, will that thing actually go 20 miles on one charge? I looked at electric bicycles some time back, and saw all kinds of outrageous claims. Then down at the bottom in very small print, it said "with normal pedaling" Why would anyone buy an electric bicycle if they still had to pedal it? I wanted a bike to ride on some local bike trails that run along a canal bank, and gas powered bikes are not allowed. I was only looking for a 10 mile range (with no pedaling) and that was going to cost around $3K.
If you want an ebike, you could always look at the Solex:

http://www.solexbikes.com/eSolex.php

Old 11-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
JoshM
2015 Wee-Strom

Oddometer: 142
Meh... this will do 18mph for up to 60mins. And I'm sure it costs a lot less than a Mini.

http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/inde...detail&p=11939

JoshM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
Dao1
Adventurer

That's a cool scooter from Razor. I've bought a couple of electric dirt bikes from Razor before as christmas presents . They are OK quality for what you pay. But they're marketed as toys, and this new scooter from them appears to also follow the toy segment. Notice that there's not even a front brake, just a rear one, and that one doesn't look all that stout. I don't think it'll stand up to the pounding that a daily driven scooter takes. But the price point is downright cheap for what it can do.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #13
Dao1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
So, will that thing actually go 20 miles on one charge?
The numbers say it can go farther but 20 miles per charge has been the farthest I've ridden it.

underneath the floor board, there's TWO 12v electric wheel chair batteries series wired to 24v, the amps per each battery is 40 amp/hrs. This is the battery it uses:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rad2Go-E10-C...item417658d0df

They're deep cycle batteries so they're designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. If you look at the width and depth of the floor board, you can get an idea of how large these batteries are.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #14
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,042
This thread brought back fun times we had with a couple electric scooters... I guess I DID have a scooter before the PCX.

In 1996, I bought a folding electric scooter, made by Mase, an Italian firm who makes generators for the yacht/marine industry. I can't find a photo of it, but it was red, boxy, and the seat and handlebars folded down so it could be hauled onboard a boat or an RV. It weighed about 100 pounds and would go about 12 mph with a range of about 8 miles.

When that died (a 24v system on that scooter that had a lousy recharge system), I picked up a WAY less expensive Schwinn electric scooter that looked like this...

It would go about 5 or 6 miles at a speed of about 8 to 10 miles per hour. I frequently used it on our island here and carted it around in a motorhome. When we downsized on the last boat, I gave it to a worker's kid. It was a handy little thing.

Neither were street legal, but that doesn't matter in RV parks or in our gated community.

When the cost becomes competitive with gas scooters, I could see having an electric scooter... a real scooter that could be ridden on the street. The technology keeps getting better.

Jim
Old 11-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #15
sonic reducer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
what is wrong with bicycles? never need to plug those in or worry about running out of juice.