Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,398
Adding a whole bunch of GDB files to one very large map

Hi gang,

I'm currently on a trip around the world and eventually I want to add all the tracks covered in one contiguous line to a world map. It'll be big... Want I want to do is link from my website (own hosted and own domain) so that when you click on it, you see the whole country/world and you can scroll around to see where I went. Aside from tediously zooming in on mapsource and doing screenshots to glue together in Photoshop, is there a better way of doing this? I don't want to upload anyhting to Google Maps or some such as I want to ensure I rentain the output on my own server (don't trust Google, Apple, FaceBook and that sort of stuff).

I will start by adding it all to one mapsource file, but then what?

Thanks for any ideas.

Kevin

PS: Website is here www.nohorizons.net
Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
If you know anything about servers (e.g. Linux, Apache, PHP) and how your web site is hosted - search for any PHP/Apache based map server. Your ISP might let you install LAMP based server apps.

However, to me, thats way too much work. I would just load up a trip/day at a time into a GPX file and imbed a google map. Or put it on SPOT adventures or that other mapping adventures free site (cant remember the name right now). Then spend the rest of the time riding.

Not sure why you don't "trust" google maps. Worried someone will take your data? Or the server wont work?
OneEffinName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,145
As OneEffinName suggested, imbed a Google Map (you'll need a Google Map Dev ID but it's free) in an iframe on your webpage. You will need to convert your single Track to a KML file (GPSBabel) then you can host that KML file on your server and call it from the imbedded Google Map on your page. Google will never touch your Track data.

It should look something like this:

HTML Code:
<iframe width="400" height="400" frameborder="0" scrolling="No" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=the_track_file_location_on_your_server.kml&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=some_lat_and_lon-to_center_the_map_on&amp;spn=some_lat_lon-to_bound_the_google_map&amp;z=3&amp;output=embed&amp;s=your_Google_Map_Dev_ID"></iframe>
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 05-26-2012 at 08:21 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
Not sure why you don't "trust" google maps. Worried someone will take your data? Or the server wont work?
My issue with Google is that, like FaceBook etc., they will use any data they see fit for their own purposes. Or the program will change later and break a bunch of links on my site or whatever... I am looking for something I can host from my server that I have 100% control over... Maybe I am being silly, but hey ...